LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 11:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: July 20, 2013, 6:28 pm 

rx7locost and I are doing a local AutoX tomorrow at the Sears Center is Hoffman Estates, IL. So if you have nothing better to do on what should be a great day come pay us a visit. bring a helmet and you can do a drive along.

http://tsscc.org/

Graham

PostPosted: July 22, 2013, 6:45 pm 

It was an OK event, very SCCA orientated and that's OK, but the problem is you don't get many runs, 6 in the norm, they made a big deal about being able to run 7 runs on Sunday like there are doing you a favor. The last Windy City Miata event I did I got 16 runs. If your into class racing, like 16 road tire AWD, then this is the place for you if you own a Subaru. But if you just want to drive then not so good. They had a funky junior kart class, only three entrants, I asked one of the club members if they were all committee member kids and he said yes. There insurance rules say when the karts are running no other vehicles are allowed to move, and I can understand that as car driver could easily miss a tiny kart. But the net effect is 3 people are holding up 105. You have to stop everything to run the 3 drivers, then start ever thing up again, and you do that 6 or 7 times. To make it worse I think one kart failed on every run so you then wait while it's pushed of the course. So like I said nice people and if you into class racing probably the place to be, but if you just want to drive try the Windy City Miata or the VW/Audi group. The other issue I had was only registered drivers can be passengers, with the other clubs you can give a ride to anyone with a helmet, a great way to get people hooked on a 7. Chuck and I had B Mod to our selves, Chuck had a fuel starvation problem that was fixed by filling up the tank between sessions. I had no problems but a late afternoon heavy rain shower meant we only got 5 runs in. But it was still a fun day. Looking to do a WCMC event on August 10 or 11.

PostPosted: July 22, 2013, 7:41 pm 

For a first time out I had an OK time. Yeah, I had some problems to work out. But I drove it home so Na-Na gonzo :boxing: In addition to the fuel issue, they had assigned me a number that was later used by someone else. After my 1st run the other driver noticed it and assigned me a different number. That prevented my times from being listed as they must have gotten confused to who I was. I had to mention it to them before the afternoon heat. Even then my listings for the afternoon heats were listed later than anyone else. I must have missed a gate somewhere during the first run of the afternoon but didn't notice until after I got home. So I got a DNF for my 2nd run too. Had I known earlier, I would have run slower and watched more carefully for my mistake. As I was waiting for my 3rd afternoon run, the sky opened up. I sat for 15 minutes while racing stopped because the rain played havoc with their timing lights. Chalk up one for a Locost hardtop! I checked the weather map and it looked like another 30 minutes of rain. So I packed up and left early. I spent about 10 hours there, working a corner for about 1-1/2 hrs and got in a total of 6 minutes of driving. This Autocross stuff may not be my cup of tea. We'll have to see. They were having timing issues all day long. According to the listing, Graham had FTD of ~11 seconds for the ~60+/_ second course. Not bad Graham, if it were only believable!

Had a good time and met some nice people genuinely interested in the Locosts.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: July 22, 2013, 10:21 pm 
Always Moore!

Any videos?

I've had some really fun days of 6 minutes of driving and I've had some less fun days of 6 minutes of driving. Unfortunately I think it really depends on the course, the weather, and the club. A fun and well designed course ran by an organized club makes it a lot better than the opposite. I'm lucky enough to be in a region where they've been getting 100+ drivers 6 runs and we're done by 4pm.

I wouldn't write it off immediately. Try some more events or another club. This is my 4th season and I still have events where I think "that wasn't as much fun as the previous event" and then the next week will be "that's what I'm talking about".

Either way its about having fun. Some people seem to take it way too seriously and forget this (after all you are seeing who is the best at driving around cones in a parking lot.)

I have a Locost hauler on order (please don't disown me for not building it!) I'll have to make the trip out and join you guys if you do any more events.

PostPosted: July 22, 2013, 11:29 pm 

Actually a friend son did take some video. He had to pay a full entry fee so his son could just do ride along's.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UClP4Z-j ... _list_user

I don't think this was a typical event some of the more informal clubs are more fun. It's also difficult to progress as an AutoX drive when you get so few runs, it really favors the experienced driver.

Graham

PostPosted: July 23, 2013, 10:53 am 

Thanks for posting the videos Graham. I now think I know my missed gate. Same one both times I think.

I think I have some redesign of the Ackerman before I try another Autocross. I'm pretty sure I loose traction into the turns due to screwed-up tire slip angles on the front.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: July 23, 2013, 5:29 pm 

Chuck I would not re-design after one AutoX. The speeds are very slow so I am not sure you getting a true picture. What tries are you running and how old are they?

Graham

PostPosted: July 23, 2013, 7:03 pm 
Toyotaphobe

FastG wrote:
It was an OK event, very SCCA orientated .....

You've summed up every SCCA autocross/solo type event I've ever been too, except I've never seen an SCCA event that got 6 runs. We usually get 3 and every so often 4.

The club scene is definitely the way to go.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.