LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 19, 2024, 2:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
 Post subject: Re: Stalker in accident
PostPosted: March 6, 2016, 12:26 am 

With respect to inspection of your car, I've heard it said that light colored paint on the chassis and brackets (light grey, white) makes it easier to spot cracks versus dark colors like black. I don't know if that's true. I keep wanting to track that notion down, but haven't done so thus far. Does anyone know if it has merit or if it's just mythology?

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: March 6, 2016, 1:35 am 

horizenjob wrote:
:rofl: First time I've heard the monkey expression.
It's from the Polish, and a lovely and self-explanatory expression it is...but I fear we'll be pretty sick of hearing it in English in a few years.
xcarguy wrote:
You're both wrong. The bracket wasn't damaged prior to my hitting the pothole...not humble opinion, fact.
Fair enough. Mine was a humble opinion, not a fact; I wasn't there, all I've seen are the photos.
xcarguy wrote:
The bracket design on the original (Classis) Stalker chassis was addressed by the Company several years ago.
Good. What was their solution? As C10CoryM has noted, there may be locosts with similar overhanging brackets, plus this forum is filled with folks designing and building their own car concepts. So if it's not proprietary, or privileged information, this seems like a good time to share the remedy (I'll ask the mods, but I think that would be a good note on which to end this thread).
Lonnie-S wrote:
With respect to inspection of your car, I've heard it said that light colored paint on the chassis and brackets (light grey, white) makes it easier to spot cracks [snip] Does anyone know if it has merit or if it's just mythology?
It has merit for my personal pair of 67-year-old eyes. I need all the help I can get. But I'd think in general, most people are more likely to see a black line (cracks are like Roach Motels for light--light gets in but it can't get out) on a light background than a black line on a black background.

PostPosted: March 6, 2016, 9:43 am 

Lots of tube framed sports cars with light gray / white chassis. If you really want to be safe do what Porsche did and interconnect all the tubes, pressurize them and put a pressure gauge on it.

PostPosted: March 6, 2016, 10:03 am 

JackMcCornack wrote:
xcarguy wrote:
The bracket design on the original (Classis) Stalker chassis was addressed by the Company several years ago.
Good. What was their solution? As C10CoryM has noted, there may be locosts with similar overhanging brackets, plus this forum is filled with folks designing and building their own car concepts. So if it's not proprietary, or privileged information, this seems like a good time to share the remedy (I'll ask the mods, but I think that would be a good note on which to end this thread).

This thread - page 7, post 7

PostPosted: March 6, 2016, 4:47 pm 

Perfect! Thanks, xcarguy.

For those of you who are new to this topic (or old to it and old enough to have forgotten, a la Yours Truly) this is a problem that has been nicely dealt with on the factory level. Post #7 on page #7 describes it well and has clear pictures, and as xcarguy says on that post...
xcarguy wrote:
...it can be used by others for guidance/ideas in their suspension design and build.
So unless there's a strong objection (or unless I get outvoted by the other mods), we'll close this topic in 12 hours, as requested by the OP.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12