LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently December 12, 2019, 9:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: No Drifting....
PostPosted: April 9, 2007, 12:01 am 

Really, it's a spin, yeah, that's it.....

G

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 9, 2007, 1:42 am 

Uh, looks like you are headed right towards that telephone pole with the conrete base..... :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 10, 2007, 1:02 am 
I've taken my car out drifting a couple times. Its ok. I need to replace the diff with something better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 13, 2007, 11:11 am 

An easy way to combat that from happening is to stay away from the Brewpub Restaurant before hand. :no:

j/k

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 13, 2007, 2:41 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

It's interesting there are so few mid-engine drift cars; the increased weight at the back means traction - traction's a bad thing at drift events. I wonder why someone doesn't weld up the diff in a pickup truck for drifting. Seems like the perfect vehicle, but then people would say it's not a race car... but then again real race cars don't "do" drifting. Ok, now I'm off in the weeds.

Yeah, that's a scary place to be drifting, that close to the pole. There was a video around here about a guy drifting his car right into a tree during a sanctioned event. That resulting in all drift events being banned from Qualcomm stadium in San Diego.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 13, 2007, 7:04 pm 

Quote:
It's interesting there are so few mid-engine drift cars; the increased weight at the back means traction - traction's a bad thing at drift events.

mmmm obvious things...

my wall is white because I painted it white...fascinating...

:p

There was an el Camino drift 'car' at once point, it was neat.

Anyways...
I'm looking forward to trying my hand at drifting once my car is done. It looks liike fun- like locking up the rear tire of a bike to slide it sideways when you were a kid.

I'll probably drop in a supra LSD.

"the all-consuming time-sucking car, which I really enjoy working on" -KB

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 25, 2007, 5:38 pm 

I thought you want lots of traction for drifting, you just need the power to overcome it. I've never been much into the drift scene but I've seen it on TV and they use really sticky tires to maintain control. Also with the truck thing the weight is just so forward biased that the rear is very hard to control. The only time I get to drift is in the winter and I've since grown up and don't really do it anymore. BUT, I used to chase my buddy around parking lots and backroads and I can tell you I can hold way better drifts in my Jimmy than he could in his S-10. The truck would whip way out real quick but it would snap back real quick too. I have 40 more horsepower on him and more weight in the back and could hold a drift longer and transition better. And yes he had an extended cab so the wheelbases were very similar. Niether of us could compare to the relatively long Caprice that used to ride in. That that was some slow controlled drifting. Bah, what am I talking about, drifting wastes tires really quick and is hard to do responsibly. Not for me. And cool pic G.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 25, 2007, 7:21 pm 

I think those Falken Azenis are popular with the drift crowd because they overheat and lose traction easily. If they are exposed to only reasonably abusive loads (like say on the front of a RWD drift car) they are really sticky. If you spin them much (like on the rear of a RWD drift car) they get really greasy.

Boring story about how I found this out. Back a few years ago I ran a fwd car in STS autocross. The hot tire was the Falken Azenis. It worked better than anything cold and was/is? an amazing tire for the short 40 second courses. However if it was a really hot day or you had a co-driver you had to have your water sprayer handy to cool them between runs. (remember they get slippery when hot) Well anyway I was on a back road with a friend after an event and my front tires were already cooked. So for goofs I found an empty straight section of road (not easy in WV) and yanked the ebrake and did a big smokey burnout. After a few seconds of spinning the RPMs shot up and I was bouncing of the limiter and shifted and then shifted again. When smoke started coming into the car from the door handles I decided it was time to go and released the ebrake. I emerged from the cloud and accellerated on down the road laughing it up with my friend. About 1/4 mile later the road turned sharply left (no big deal- autocross car- handles great etc.) but to my suprise when I turned the wheel the car never changed direction. It was like being on ice. I slid off up the hillside and was lucky not to hurt anything but my paintjob.

Anyway my point is that I think the drifters use the Azenis since they want a big mean looking wide tire that will literally melt and offer very little traction.