LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 8:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 18, 2008, 2:03 pm 
-the man.

Another thing to consider is what happens when you get off? Close tire wall? Armsco barrier? Or plenty of adequate run off? Hallett (my home track) is a wide open track with lots of run off in almost all directions. No Armsco and lots of open ground between you and most of the tire walls. I only got in the tire wall twice. Both times it was on the south end with lots of pretty grass. Problem is, on the first run of the day when the dew is still there and the tires are cold you cover a lot of dirt quick. Neither time did much damage.

Moral of the story is, do a get off in the family truckster at Infineon, Heartland Park, or the numerous other tracks with hard walls and you'll need to find alternate transportation home. Something to think about.

Ark, professionals built the Titanic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 18, 2008, 2:11 pm 
The voice of reason

BB69 agree with you. For a data point in the club I used to run/instruct with: COMSCC, we had one ( that I recall ) rollover of a street car. At least one rollover of a prepared car, one car in a pond, and several cars destroyed. The rollover of that street car could have been a sad event, but it was a car with a roof.

This was in a period of about 10 years.

Doing a track event in a convertible with no roll bar is probably a bad habit, but may be ok to get your feet wet.

I think it would be wise to have one in a seven, especially because of it's relatively open-wheel configuration.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 18, 2008, 3:42 pm 

[quote="horizenjob"]Doing a track event in a convertible with no roll bar is probably a bad habit, but may be ok to get your feet wet.
quote]

Don't get me wrong, we strongly encourage everyone to run with a roll bar. A big reason we allow it, is because we want people to get started. Lots of people have verts, and they aren't willing to put a bar in before their first track day. From what I have seen, once they realize they want to keep doing track work, they either get another car or a roll bar. Like I said though, millions of people drive their verts on public roads everyday with bad results. Driver beware.

Actually having the first event this weekend. I have to get home and finish prepping the car. :D

Ken

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 26, 2008, 4:06 pm 
Weight watcher

And another tip for those who want to try it, don't do it with a car you're making payments on.
There's always a chance of wrecking your car, you don't want to make payments on a pile of steel, plastic and rubber.

Moti

My R1 powered Locost build log

Visit the Blackbird Fabworx Facebook Page!

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 31, 2008, 9:49 am 
-the man.

I've seen a few cars that have sustained some pretty heavy damage at either HPDE or autocross and, although I don't know the outcome of all, I do know that insurance paid on most of them.

The major thing to stress is...never use the word "RACE". And avoid any reference to speed, passing someone, getting around slower cars, dicing, etc. Don't dwell on speed but more on the driver performance aspect.

I saw a viper with $25K worth of damage and it happened like I mentioned in an above post. He went off and was on the curb facing the wrong direction. Instead of swinging out through the grass to face the right way, he pulled onto the course facing traffic. Major headon. Luckily no one was injured.

Ark, professionals built the Titanic.

PostPosted: September 28, 2011, 1:26 am 

This is all great information! I once had a rare chance to drive a track prepped Mustang at the Miller Motor Sports Park in Utah to follow all these rules very closely, but what happens if you do collide with another driver’s vehicle?

Do you swap insurance info, call a peace officer, haggle over who's at fault, or is the event sponsor to make a ruling? As safe as I felt at speed going around the south course I always wondered what would happen if someone (hazard the day) did make contact because you could really cause damage or incur damage to your self.

PostPosted: October 1, 2011, 4:50 pm 

Damaging your dd at a track event will get your claim denied and possibly even your policy cancelled. In general, policies do not cover competition use. Unless specialty insurance covers this sort of thing, you're SOL... LOL

And attempting to stage it on the street is insurance fraud...

PostPosted: October 1, 2011, 6:47 pm 

Absolutely!

Check your policy. Many policies used to have a loophole that if you weren't in "competition" you were covered, meaning a direct car/car race or a timed lap. Nowadays many policies have a statement denying any claim if it occurred on "a closed course designed for competition" or some such statement which would imply that track days are not covered. But it is best to read your specific policy. Do not take the agents word for it. Read it yourself.

Trackday insurance is expensive. For a Locost, it might be worth self-insuring if you are going out a few time a year. Even if your car is covered, the Ins Co can declare a total loss, pay full value to your claim, and they own the wrecked car. You "might' be able to buy the wreck back. They might not issue you another policy. This is not an option I'd be willing to bet on.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766