LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently September 15, 2019, 3:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 6, 2008, 6:40 pm 

I base my design on what's being done in the Locost serie in th UK...

Mind you I'm aiming at time trial with this one, for Road Racing I'll build a new chassis with integrated cage...

Fred

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 6, 2008, 6:52 pm 
Locostering Legend

At the 2005 GRM Challenge, we had to use arm restraints to run on the drag strip. (Car had to meet NHRA specs, car also meets SCCA.) The restraints were required in open cars to keep the driver's arms inside the frame rails. It's a bit difficult when your ribs are against the 1" square side rails and your elbows usually overhang the side tubes. When strapped/restrained we could barely reach the ignition. The stand-off side crash bars make a lot of sense in a competition car.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 8, 2008, 7:47 pm 

horizenjob wrote:
Why aren't the frame rails considered side protection? Normal cars don't have those, they have doors.

It might be sensible to upgrade the tubing in the frame rails around the cockpit, but i think some of side protection being put on is a little extra. Any comments on what the minimum requirement is for side protection in SCCS?

Because the minimum size is 1.375 x 0.080 DOM tube (new '08 SCCA requirement, NASA still requires 0.095 tube which was the old SCCA requirement for mild steel IIRC). 1" square, 0.060 ERW tubing in a Locost "doors" isn't even close to meeting the side protection requirement.

Rumor has it that Formula cars and Sports racers get a little slack on the "broomstick" test because they are homologated with that roll cage, failing them on the test would require re-homoligation of the car. Don't count on getting the same slack applied to a low front caged 7.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 8, 2008, 9:32 pm 
The voice of reason

Thanks Bruce. The 1.375 x 0.080 DOM tube sounds like pretty reasonable material to make the tubes around the cockpit out of. It's just 1/8 larger and gauge 14 at 1.145 lbs. / foot. Vs. .8226 lbs. / foot for the 1" 16 gauge. About 1/3 lb. more per foot, geez that's only a few pounds for the cockpit section...

I'm only 5'8" and used to sitting low in a car so the broomstick test will likely not be too hard... But your right, the front roll hoop in a ford just goes over the tach.

Time to start seeing how hard that tubing will be to get... People who are building cages for SCCA must have it though...