LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently November 12, 2019, 7:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Modular Frame
PostPosted: October 22, 2019, 6:50 am 

We started talking about the idea just before the server crash so any discussion we had is gone but, I've been playing with the idea of a modular frame, something that the front and rear "frames" can be removed from the center and put into smaller spaces, for whatever reason. This is what's popped into my head for now. The frame it's self is basically a Voodu frame for the Miata rear end. The bars represent 7/8th 16g steel tube that may (or may not) slide into the "standard" 1in 16g tube commonly used, very tightly. The bolt holes are 8mm. You could use tubes, reamed to exactly the diameter of the bolt used for a very tight fit and welded in place. Captive nuts, or even some kind of castle nut/cotter pin could be used to ensure nothing comes at "final assembly"

Anyway, it's not complete, just a couple ideas.

Attachments:
Modular 1.JPG
Modular 1.JPG [ 237.37 KiB | Viewed 779 times ]
Modular 2.JPG
Modular 2.JPG [ 235.96 KiB | Viewed 779 times ]
Modular 3.JPG
Modular 3.JPG [ 178.74 KiB | Viewed 779 times ]
Modular 4.JPG
Modular 4.JPG [ 213.62 KiB | Viewed 779 times ]
 Post subject: Re: Modular Frame
PostPosted: October 22, 2019, 7:48 am 

The front bay rear lower corner attachment and gusset design will make it difficult to apply body paneling over the gusset and bolt heads. You may want to consider designing the structure attachment thru the bottom surface. davew

PostPosted: October 22, 2019, 9:50 am 

At some future point in time, it will become a real car. After that point, do you intend on needing the take-apart feature? I suspect not. At that point in time, one could simply weld those joints together. This would reduce the need for the interim joints to be car-strong. they could even be cut off the frame after final welding.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

My RX7 powered Locost is now for sale http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=18460

or visit my Cushman Truckster resurrection log: over HERE

PostPosted: October 22, 2019, 11:21 pm 

davew wrote:
The front bay rear lower corner attachment and gusset design will make it difficult to apply body paneling over the gusset and bolt heads. You may want to consider designing the structure attachment thru the bottom surface. davew

That thought had come across my kind and I figured, paneling could be built around it, or with a cut out. Bottom could work though, I might play with it a bit tonight. The biggest reason for the plate on the side was so that cross member that goes from the lower footwell up to the upper control arm mount isn't really supported anywhere without that bracket.

rx7locost wrote:
At some future point in time, it will become a real car. After that point, do you intend on needing the take-apart feature? I suspect not. At that point in time, one could simply weld those joints together. This would reduce the need for the interim joints to be car-strong. they could even be cut off the frame after final welding.

I'm not sure about being completely welded together. The original thought came from me being military and having an 8000lb limit when we PCS to a new Duty Station. With a Continental US that wouldn't normal be a problem, one could just load the car on a trailer and drive to the new duty station but, I'm stuck in Hawaii at the moment so we have to rely on movers. Theoretically, if the car weighed in at 1000-1500lbs it could be dismantled in sections and moved with the home goods. That's where the original concept came from at least.

PostPosted: October 24, 2019, 2:24 am 

Could you not just build a standard locost but not fully weld the joints that you're proposing making removable? Keep them as strong tacks so the car can be disassembled for transport, then fully weld it when you are ready for it to be a car?

PostPosted: October 24, 2019, 12:09 pm 

The rear overhang looks okay if it's really that short. I assume you'd also add brackets at the top, similar to the brackets on the middle cross tube. The front section would be a lot stronger if you moved the joints forward a foot or more. Gussets would not be required and the connecting bolts could be aligned vertically so they wouldn't interfere with the bodywork.

PostPosted: October 28, 2019, 3:33 am 

Beelzeboss wrote:
Could you not just build a standard locost but not fully weld the joints that you're proposing making removable? Keep them as strong tacks so the car can be disassembled for transport, then fully weld it when you are ready for it to be a car?

I'd imagine its possible. A potential benefit for the joints would be the ability to place removable supports, longitudinally in place while in transport, especially for the front section.

nick47 wrote:
The rear overhang looks okay if it's really that short. I assume you'd also add brackets at the top, similar to the brackets on the middle cross tube. The front section would be a lot stronger if you moved the joints forward a foot or more. Gussets would not be required and the connecting bolts could be aligned vertically so they wouldn't interfere with the bodywork.

I'm not picturing the suggestion, do you mean placing them in the middle of the beam?

PostPosted: October 28, 2019, 1:19 pm 

Yes, the joints should be in the middle of the beams, Much less stress there.

PostPosted: October 28, 2019, 1:42 pm 

nick47 wrote:
Yes, the joints should be in the middle of the beams, Much less stress there.
Au contrare, mon frere. From a stiffness standpoint, the nodes have the least lodes*.

* Or "loads", unless I'm being alliterative. I'm not sure on the spelling of "Au contrare, mon frere" either.

PostPosted: October 30, 2019, 12:54 pm 

There was a member in Canada who built a big block Chevy powered Locost in the living room of his high-rise apartment. He built the frame in sections so he could get it out via the freight elevator.

PostPosted: November 1, 2019, 12:15 pm 

TRX wrote:
There was a member in Canada who built a big block Chevy powered Locost in the living room of his high-rise apartment. He built the frame in sections so he could get it out via the freight elevator.

Are you talking about this guy:
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=18522

Unless I missed it, I don't think that the frame was made to be disassembled.