LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently February 28, 2021, 9:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: February 20, 2021, 12:28 am 

Get busy with cardboard or wood, or find someone with a completed frame and sit in it. I don't think anyone can tell you what's best for you.

PostPosted: February 20, 2021, 1:02 am 

The Haynes is a 2-2-1, it is 2 inches wider, 2 inches longer, and 1 inch taller than a "Book" chassis! If memory serves me, the Voodoo (actually, Vodou) is a Haynes modified to use the Miata's running gear. check it out here. http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthr ... tid=171053 :thmbsup:

PostPosted: February 20, 2021, 1:35 am 

So Haynes is out then.
McSorley 442 chassis can accept rear wishbone suspension?

PostPosted: February 20, 2021, 1:52 am 

Why is the Haynes out? The Haynes plans show you how to fab your A-arms and hub carriers. You may have to massage the dimensions, but that's not terribly difficult to do!

PostPosted: February 20, 2021, 2:11 am 

I'm trying to wrap my head around all these chassis.
Haynes is not the Vodou chassis?
Can I use, like you mentioned, a arms from one chassis to make it work on another?
Where are the Haynes drawings? I have the Vodou drawings and they have a arm drawing for the rear.

PostPosted: February 20, 2021, 2:56 am 

The Haynes drawings that I have are in the book! Somewhere I have a set of the Vodou plans. The Vodou plans are just the changes that are needed to adapt the Miata parts to a car that was designed to use Ford Sierra parts. Do you have a copy of Kieth Tanners book "How To Build a Cheap Sports Car"? If not, go to http://cheapsportscar.net/ There are lots of pics in there of the construction of Keith's car, which is a book frame modified to use a Miata donor.

PostPosted: February 20, 2021, 12:04 pm 

Do you remember this remark? "Jack over at Kinetic Vehicles can help you out with the layout of your A-arms and such!" Well, take a look at "PVC suspension simulator" in the "View active topics" index!

PostPosted: February 20, 2021, 12:08 pm 

tibimakai wrote:
I'm 198lbs. and 5'10" tall. . . . . I would prefer a Morgan 8, but I don't have money for such a car.

Ah, the list of cars we can't afford. You can read mine if you want, but only when you have about 2 days of reading time [LOL].

The Haynes Roadster drawings are in the text of the second "book" authored by Chris Gibbs. Many are sprinkled throughout the text of the book, but others (with dimensions) are in the appendices. Importantly, there is a list of corrections to the book drawings on the Haynes website, which you can join for free.

The Gibbs book is out of print, so you'll have to buy a used copy. There may be someplace on the Internet where a PDF of the Gibbs book can be found, but I don't know of it. I don't understand why Haynes doesn't use one of the "print on demand" companies to keep the book out there. I've used such companies for other books.

Since you're a machinist, you have a big leg up on most builders. With some basic home shop machinery, and some decent welding skill, you should be in good shape to make a Locost of your choosing.

I've not seen a McSorely chassis with an IRS, but it may have been done. Of course, you can adapt one to IRS, but you may have to do that on your own.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: February 20, 2021, 7:52 pm 

Lonnie-S wrote:
I've not seen a McSorely chassis with an IRS, but it may have been done. Of course, you can adapt one to IRS, but you may have to do that on your own.

Cheers,

Lonnie, isn't a CMC basically a McSorely chassis, or Vice Versa?

PostPosted: February 20, 2021, 8:59 pm 

The McSorley website has many different designs. From a traditional Champion "book" chassis to a 400 a 442 and a 442E. I don't know of any that were built strictly per the designs. I believe that a few have been built using the designs as starting points.

Any of them can be modified to an IRS. I did so with the CMC chassis to fit an RX7 IRS. SO many of these cars are built with different powertrains that some engineering is usually required. The "Locost" is not a kit car IMO. It is an inspiration for those to use as a starting point. For a "full kit", look to the Stalker. Of course the price is reflective of a kit where most of the parts are already made.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

PostPosted: February 20, 2021, 9:05 pm 

rx7locost wrote:
The McSorley website has many different designs. From a traditional Champion "book" chassis to a 400 a 442 and a 442E. I don't know of any that were built strictly per the designs. I believe that a few have been built using the designs as starting points.

Chuck, You were the main reason I was asking about the McSorley/CMC connection.

PostPosted: February 20, 2021, 9:21 pm 

I don't believe there was ever a real "connection". I believe that McSorley started with converting the book chassis to 3D CAD as a college project. In the meantime, he fixed a few small dimensional errors. Then stretched the designs for the various sizes. Per his website:

Quote:
CHASSIS PLANS
The chassis plans on this site are based on the original Locost design presented in Ron Champion's book. The plans are not complete, but they should provide you with a very good (and very accurate) starting point. You still need a transmission tunnel and certain triangulating members that are not shown. Be sure to refer to the book for these structurally critical pieces. I've excluded them from the drawings because each builder tends to customize the transmission tunnel to meet their needs (cut-to-fit). The missing triangulating members were simply too difficult to model with the computer.

Paying respect to Mr. Champion's original work and keeping with the spirit of being Locost, you are free to use the drawings below at your own risk. Please do not host, redistribute, or attempt to profit from the files that you retrieve from this site. I only ask that you refer to this website (http://www.sevenesque.com) as a favor in kind.

Any way I might help, I will. I feel the OP is looking for a "complete" set of drawings, dimensions and instructions to cut and weld a chassis and suspension with no re-engineering work required. That, I cannot do.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

PostPosted: February 21, 2021, 12:05 am 

ngpmike wrote:

Lonnie, isn't a CMC basically a McSorely chassis, or Vice Versa?

No, they were Champion book sized. The first one I built in the early 2000's was a CMC. Funny sidenote, when I ordered the chassis they offered me the first Miata based chassis they'd made (which I turned down and fortunately so), which ended up being Keith Tanners car.

PostPosted: February 23, 2021, 1:43 am 

If I would go with a 4 cylinder engine, there would be a reason, that I should use a 4" wider, 4" longer chassis? A 4" wider chassis only from the dash back, would be sufficient?

PostPosted: February 23, 2021, 12:27 pm 

tibimakai wrote:
If I would go with a 4 cylinder engine, there would be a reason, that I should use a 4" wider, 4" longer chassis? A 4" wider chassis only from the dash back, would be sufficient?

The answer is, "probably not."

The three limiting factors are:

1) leg length - a problem for tall guys;
2) Footwell space - if you've got big feet, or want to wear big street shoes;
3) Seat width - typically a 17" seat is all you get without extra effort in the build.

#1) At 5'-10" you're not tall enough to have an issue. You could use any chassis.

#2) Unless you're 4 cylinder doner requires a wider tunnel due to bell housing/transmission or setback issues, you could use the Haynes Roadster or any McSorely chassis.

#3) If you can fit comfortably in a typical 17" Kirkey race seat (or similar), you can use any design.

The last issue seems to be the most common one. I bought a used Caterham seat (Below: it's actually the passenger side, so that's where it will end up eventually) and I can fit in it. I wouldn't want to dive 300 miles in it, but it's fine for typical Locost use.
Attachment:
File comment: Caterham passenger side seat.
Full Seat.jpg
Full Seat.jpg [ 106.26 KiB | Viewed 31 times ]

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886