LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 1:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: April 12, 2011, 4:41 pm 

Well let's see now. A locosty with features everyone wants.
1. wider cockpit
2. more footroom
3 .reclining seats
4. cup holders
5 .radio
6. CD player
7. automatic transmission
8. automatic climate control with air conditioning
9. anti lock brakes
10. automatic light dimmer
11. adjustable suspension with "sport" setting
12. air bags
13. tinted glass
14. lighter
15. ashtray
16. locking console
17. padded dash
18. GPS system
19. rev limiter
20. and last but not least, my favorite---keyless entry. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

PostPosted: April 12, 2011, 4:46 pm 
Always Moore!

photoman wrote:
20. and last but not least, my favorite---keyless entry. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

I thought that was standard on any breed of 7? :D

PostPosted: April 12, 2011, 4:54 pm 

George Cushing has some good info.
http://www.georgecushing.net/Lotus7.html

PostPosted: April 12, 2011, 7:00 pm 

a.moore wrote:
photoman wrote:

I thought that was standard on any breed of 7? :D

Very perceptive of you.

PostPosted: April 16, 2011, 10:15 am 

photoman wrote:
5 .radio
6. CD player

Nah, just set the speakers up for a 2.5 or 3.5mm input jack, plug your ipod/phone in. A CD player would probably be the easiest way to do this, however.

Quote:
7. automatic transmission

Hell, wouldn't that be easier?

Quote:
11. adjustable suspension with "sport" setting

Hell, you could do that already pretty easily, if spendy. Get one of those custom TEIN electronic setups. But a lot of people use adjustable shocks and coilovers to start with, you just have to adjust it by hand. With the suspension generally so external, you could just swap out the springs/shocks when you get to the track/fun roads anyway. So why the joke?

Quote:
12. air bags

Isn't there somebody using air bag suspension? Wouldn't be hard to do in any case. :cheers:

Now safety airbags, that could get complicated. :BH:

Quote:
13. tinted glass

Use sunglasses!

Quote:
14. lighter

Well you need to plug your charger in, so your phone/ipod doesn't die mid-drive, you know?

Quote:
15. ashtray

Good for them, being responsible and not ashing everywhere. :cheers:

Quote:
16. locking console

Not a big deal? :roll: Don't several kits offer exactly this?

Quote:
17. padded dash

Padded for what? :lol:

Quote:
18. GPS system

See lighter.

Quote:
19. rev limiter

Don't most ECU's have one? :wink:

Quote:

Ooh, what's the fee? Or is it a 'look how much standard equipment we have!' selling point? :cheers:

PostPosted: April 16, 2011, 10:16 am 

Oh, and to be on-topic: Isn't there a fully modeled CSR chassis on a sketchup database somewhere?

PostPosted: May 10, 2018, 10:00 am 

Sorry to drag this ancient thread up to the top, but I was looking for info on the original SI, II, III 7's V's the book dimensions and this was the most prolific (and unfortunately contentious) thread on the subject.

The reason I was searching was WRT D Mod chassis. It seems that anything with a vaguely 7esc nosecone on gets called a 7 for D Mod. I was trying to find what the minimum wheelbase was for the class and what the wheelbase deviation allowed from stock is. I assume there is no restriction on lengthening wheelbase as some cars seem to have a very long wheelbase. Why wouldn't people build cars to the smallest footprint allowed under the rules or based on the original Series I cars which I believe was 88"?

13 Mustang Vert. The V6 hairdresser edition that is somehow faster than my old V8 with a 351!?!?!

PostPosted: May 10, 2018, 11:52 am 

"Rev limiter"...LOL, well, last time I checked, every engine ever built had one of those! As I recall, a racing buddy had his tachometer marked thus:
- 5500 rpm - amber section
- 6500 rpm - red section
- 7500+ rpm - marked "BANG!"

http://zetec7.webs.com/

PostPosted: May 13, 2018, 4:34 pm 

Anybody ever try to buy the Caterham chassis?

Their British parts website has them listed for around $4k GBP. Plus VAT for whoever that includes (not sure if that includes international sales).

Last I talked to local dealers by email, they just forward their parts requests to the Brits and get it shipped, I don't believe they stock anything. (At least not the Buffalo one).

I emailed both Parts site and US dealer and got no response in regards to just getting the chassis with a bunch of individual parts ordered in the mix (might as well get OE body panels for OE chassis).

Anybody had any luck or quotes?

PostPosted: May 13, 2018, 8:07 pm 

I tried to get a couple of parts from Cat****m. They refused to even speak to me unless I could provide them with the VIN number of my genuine Cat****m.

http://zetec7.webs.com/

PostPosted: May 14, 2018, 10:30 am 

I for one, could get behind a more svelte, traditional looking Locost build with bench seats and no roll bar. I've been tossing the idea of a Midget/Sprite-based build. The original Seven size ( smaller than a book Locost) would work well I think. I don't know if I will ever get around to it though.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: May 14, 2018, 11:01 am 

Quote:
I tried to get a couple of parts from Cat****m. They refused to even speak to me unless I could provide them with the VIN number of my genuine Cat****m.

That's quite strange, I know that they're very strict on selling chassis' or CBU's, but smaller parts they should sell to the general public. When David Saville-Peck was still alive, I used to order through him (he was the Caterham dealer in Chemainus) and he never gave me any hassle. Then again, Caterham has dropped a lot of the older parts, but those are now supplied by Redline ( http://www.redlinecomponents.co.uk/ ). I did order some items from them a long time ago, and again no hassle.

Quote:
've been tossing the idea of a Midget/Sprite-based build. The original Seven size ( smaller than a book Locost) would work well I think.

That sounds like something I too have been thinking about. But, after building the Eleven with a Nash Met axle (same basic axle as the Midget), I'd start looking into finding a Morris Minor axle along with the axle out of the Spriget. The Minor axle is wider, but what you can do is cut down one side, re-weld and use the Spridget half shaft. This centers the diff input flange (or close to it) and allows for a slight increase in tire to chassis clearance, along with maintaining the Spridget bolt pattern & brake set up.

PostPosted: May 14, 2018, 6:52 pm 
Always Moore!

cs3tcr wrote:
Quote:
've been tossing the idea of a Midget/Sprite-based build. The original Seven size ( smaller than a book Locost) would work well I think.

That sounds like something I too have been thinking about. But, after building the Eleven with a Nash Met axle (same basic axle as the Midget), I'd start looking into finding a Morris Minor axle along with the axle out of the Spriget. The Minor axle is wider, but what you can do is cut down one side, re-weld and use the Spridget half shaft. This centers the diff input flange (or close to it) and allows for a slight increase in tire to chassis clearance, along with maintaining the Spridget bolt pattern & brake set up.

I'm seriously considering doing the same for the next car. I'm pretty sure you could make a good new set of axles if you have access to some basic machine tools and widen the Spridget axle housing yourself.

PostPosted: May 17, 2018, 5:06 pm 

I know it's not exact but once I finish up my frame design that is sized very similarly to a Donkervoort D8 I could upload the sizes. I've designed it based off of lots of pictures and measurements from various sources. I'm also doing a Torsional rigidity FEA on the chassis as well.

That is, if anyone wants to see....

PostPosted: May 18, 2018, 11:01 am 

CodySimonson wrote:
. . . That is, if anyone wants to see....

Of course we do! Look forward to it.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next