LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 12:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 312 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: Carbon Fiber Frame?
PostPosted: May 9, 2016, 8:33 pm 

mjalaly wrote:
NO ONE HERE should be building a chassis...

...I have been working on a carbon chassis

So what you're saying is that you're the only one with the necessary skills, and everyone else here is inadequate and incompetent? :D

PostPosted: May 9, 2016, 8:36 pm 

Sam_68 wrote:
mjalaly wrote:
We have NASCAR!

QED

What?

You can build the most awesome thing in the world but at some point, an 80yr old man in a crx is probably going kick your butt on the track... don't ask me how I know.

PostPosted: May 9, 2016, 8:39 pm 

Sam_68 wrote:
mjalaly wrote:
NO ONE HERE should be building a chassis...

...I have been working on a carbon chassis

So what you're saying is that you're the only one with the necessary skills, and everyone else here is inadequate and incompetent? :D

Yup... no I just have friends who are willing to give me money to build a few so they can wreck them. But i will put "for off road use only" to make it legit. And I might have access to a full carbon shop and an autoclave...

I am always working something.... but actually making it is something else.

I have been hesitating for a while since that is a lot of work.

You can build the most awesome thing in the world but at some point, an 80yr old man in a crx is probably going kick your butt on the track... don't ask me how I know.

Last edited by mjalaly on May 9, 2016, 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: May 9, 2016, 8:42 pm 

mjalaly wrote:
What?

It stands for 'quod erat demonstrandum'

Translated: "which is what had to be proven"

Colloquially: 'Exactly proving my point'

PostPosted: May 10, 2016, 12:44 am 
The voice of reason

Quote:
If you don't mind me saying, you guys stateside seem to suffer from NASA Envy Syndrome: you convince yourselves that any form of innovative engineering can only be achieved by means of endlessly detailed computer pre-analysis and budgets that would run a small county.

I do mind you saying. You appear to enjoy these straw man arguments about people you've never met or spoken with.

I thought I was being pretty simple and straightforward in my statements. If you need to build a part and it requires thickness, for instance to resist buckling, than by all means use a woven or mat style material. If you need a part to be strong and light than use unidirectional style "cloths".

They cost about the same, so if you use a woven cloth and it is less than half as stiff - go ahead and spend twice as much to get your part. My recollection is the difference is more than a factor of two and closer to five, but I spent over an hour looking for a book I have somewhere with test results and haven't found it yet. So we'll take your more than 2x number.

PostPosted: May 10, 2016, 3:34 am 

horizenjob wrote:
I do mind you saying. You appear to enjoy these straw man arguments about people you've never met or spoken with.

Sorry, it's just an observation based on the posts on this forum: I see a level of over-analysis that seems strange, coming from a country where we've been building lightweight sportscars for many decades, without benefit of the facilities and computer analysis that some posters on this thread are trying to tell me are 'essential'.

Until about 5 years ago, FEA was so expensive and experimental in its results that it was only used at the very highest level. The majority of UK kit and self-built cars are still designed without it, and torsional testing is uncommon, yet the end results lead the US by miles in this sector of the industry.

your resident 'expert' wrote:
First here is what you will need to have....
1) LOTS of money
2) A lot of experience with molds
3) LOTS of money
4) Extensive experience with carbon fiber layup and resin flow
5) one hell of a build shop
6) a hand full of experts to double check what you did
7) expensive software

... yet we designed and built the world's first carbon monocoque race cars in the UK, with access to nothing more sophisticated than a pocket calculator and the most basic composites facilities, and they performed (and a quarter of a century later continue to perform) just fine. The people who did it became 'experts' only because they were the only ones who had tried it.

Maybe the lesson is that you learn more by actually doing it than by endless speculation on why it might not work?

horizenjob wrote:
If you need a part to be strong and light IN A SINGLE DIRECTION then use unidirectional style "cloths".

Edited for accuracy.

What I seem to be struggling to get across, despite repeating it several times, is that the stresses in a monocoque tub are distributed through it in a way that it needs multi directional strength, except where there are localised point loads. Adequate beam strength is pretty much a given, for any chassis structure that delivers sufficient torsional stiffness, so is not a primary consideration.

Add to that the fact that the robustness of the skin to impact damage becomes the limiting factor if you try to use the material to its highest level of efficiency, and layers of simple, bidirectional cloth become a perfectly acceptable - in fact optimal - solution.

The simple, flat sandwich panels I'm using personally have skins of 0.03" thickness and are about as thin as you'll want to go for a road car. They are capable of turning out a chassis several times stiffer than a typical spaceframe, for about half the weight (albeit at about 2-3 times the cost, when you include for labour). They perform perfectly adequately in a crash, as the honeycomb core stabilizes the carbon and makes it disintegrate in a progressive fashion, absorbing massive amounts of energy in the process; some companies actually manufacture crash boxes out of the stuff for this very reason. Quality control is not an issue, as it's not especially difficult to ensure consistency in a thin, flat panel of uniform thickness, but in any event the manufacturers I'm using work to aerospace levels of quality control.

Certainly, if you are building F1 cars and have an unlimited budget, carefully optimized design with extensive (though far from universal) use of directional fibres will pay dividends, but by then you're so far into the realm of diminishing returns (unless you have the massive financial incentives that go along with the F1 circus) that you can't see the real world even on the clearest of days.

It's been proven many times, on this side of the Atlantic, that you can achieve a substantially better stiffness:weight ratio than a steel spaceframe, even with very crude wet lay-up monolithic glass fibre monocoques.

Even fairly basic carbon fibre construction, built to the practical limits of everyday robustness, is capable of delivering such massively stiffer structures that spending time, money and effort further improving them by extensive use of unidirectional reinforcement has very limited additional value at our level...

PostPosted: May 10, 2016, 9:04 am 

Sam_68 wrote:
Sorry, it's just an observation based on the posts on this forum: I see a level of over-analysis that seems strange, coming from a country where we've been building lightweight sportscars for many decades, without benefit of the facilities and computer analysis that some posters on this thread are trying to tell me are 'essential'.

Until about 5 years ago, FEA was so expensive and experimental in its results that it was only used at the very highest level. The majority of UK kit and self-built cars are still designed without it, and torsional testing is uncommon, yet the end results lead the US by miles in this sector of the industry.

Have you seen the cars on this forum (nothing personal guys) but some are outright scary from an engineering standpoint but they work and i love them! Also, I was using FEA back in college on computer and before that everyone did it by hand (way before i was born). All FEA is experimental until proven through testing.

Sam_68 wrote:
"your resident 'expert'"
I'm and expert? Nice! I will have to tell the experts I know they have to step their game up.

Now my mad face so I can get my point across. :x

No I do not consider my self an expert so don't ever quote me as one... period. I make things using the knowledge that i have and the advice given to me by experts and i pass that on when i am asked. If you post on this forum, you will get our opinions and knowledge whether you like it or not. That is how forums works. If you know what you are doing why even bother to argue it or post something at all?

happy face back on :P

Sam_68 wrote:

... yet we designed and built the world's first carbon monocoque race cars in the UK, with access to nothing more sophisticated than a pocket calculator and the most basic composites facilities, and they performed (and a quarter of a century later continue to perform) just fine. The people who did it became 'experts' only because they were the only ones who had tried it.

We built the first airplanes... so what? Can I build an airplane? Nope. One groups knowledge does not automatically transfer to others in the group

Sam_68 wrote:

What I seem to be struggling to get across, despite repeating it several times, is that the stresses in a monocoque tub are distributed through it in a way that it needs multi directional strength, except where there are localised point loads. Adequate beam strength is pretty much a given, for any chassis structure that delivers sufficient torsional stiffness, so is not a primary consideration.

Add to that the fact that the robustness of the skin to impact damage becomes the limiting factor if you try to use the material to its highest level of efficiency, and layers of simple, bidirectional cloth become a perfectly acceptable - in fact optimal - solution.

The simple, flat sandwich panels I'm using personally have skins of 0.03" thickness and are about as thin as you'll want to go for a road car. They are capable of turning out a chassis several times stiffer than a typical spaceframe, for about half the weight (albeit at about 2-3 times the cost, when you include for labour). They perform perfectly adequately in a crash, as the honeycomb core stabilizes the carbon and makes it disintegrate in a progressive fashion, absorbing massive amounts of energy in the process; some companies actually manufacture crash boxes out of the stuff for this very reason. Quality control is not an issue, as it's not especially difficult to ensure consistency in a thin, flat panel of uniform thickness, but in any event the manufacturers I'm using work to aerospace levels of quality control.

OMG! Spread tow. Why isn't any one talking about spread tow?!

To both of you guys... it doesn't matter!
a) you are not obviously not building the lightest, stiffest car possible because if you were, you would be test and retesting through each layup to optimism it.
b) all three of us could actually do different layups and come up the same result. that is the beauty if of composites but some ones will be lighter, more cost effective, blah blah blah...

It's been proven many times, on this side of the Atlantic, that you can achieve a substantially better stiffness:weight ratio than a steel spaceframe, even with very crude wet lay-up monolithic glass fibre monocoques.

Even fairly basic carbon fibre construction, built to the practical limits of everyday robustness, is capable of delivering such massively stiffer structures that spending time, money and effort further improving them by extensive use of unidirectional reinforcement has very limited additional value at our level...[/quote]

PostPosted: May 10, 2016, 9:29 am 

Sam_68 wrote:

Have you seen the cars on this forum (nothing personal guys) but some are outright scary from an engineering standpoint but they work and i love them! Also, I was using FEA back in college on computer and before that everyone did it by hand (way before i was born). All FEA is experimental until proven through testing.

Sam_68 wrote:
"your resident 'expert'"
I'm and expert? Nice! I will have to tell the experts I know they have to step their game up.

Now my mad face so I can get my point across. :x

No I do not consider my self an expert so don't ever quote me as one... period. I make things using the knowledge that i have and the advice given to me by experts and i pass that on when i am asked. If you post on this forum, you will get our opinions and knowledge whether you like it or not. That is how forums works. If you know what you are doing why even bother to argue it or post something at all?

happy face back on :P

Sam_68 wrote:

We built the first airplanes... so what? :cheers:

Can I build an airplane? Nope. One groups knowledge does not automatically transfer to others in the group

Sam_68 wrote:

OMG! Spread tow. Why isn't any one talking about spread tow?!

To both of you guys... it doesn't matter!
a) you are not obviously not building the lightest, stiffest car possible because if you were, you would be test and retesting through each layup to optimism it.
b) all three of us could actually do different layups and come up the same result. that is the beauty if of composites but some ones will be lighter, more cost effective, blah blah blah...

Sam_68 wrote:

Even fairly basic carbon fibre construction, built to the practical limits of everyday robustness, is capable of delivering such massively stiffer structures that spending time, money and effort further improving them by extensive use of unidirectional reinforcement has very limited additional value at our level...

:no:

Don't make this an us British thing... its not.
Even though I am always up for a healthy discussion, prove it by doing it! I want to see the build!

My car weighs 1220lbs in which the chassis is 187lbs and has the same torsional rigidity (which is very underrated since the floor was not in the calculation) as a handful of carbon super cars. Drop mic.

Attachment:
43190104.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: May 10, 2016, 9:34 am 

And i want to say... i have made a ton of carbon parts similar to the fiberglass ones guys on this forum have done and some of the time no matter how much i put into the designed... theirs are still lighter. So pat on the back to you dudes.

Now i have to go make new ones... not. I will just loose some weight :D

PostPosted: May 10, 2016, 9:46 am 
Toyotaphobe

mjalaly wrote:
We have NASCAR!

QED[/quote]

What?[/quote]

He's saying NASCAR is proof positive of what he was saying. Quod Erat Demonstrandum, for those of you who didn't take Latin in school.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: May 10, 2016, 10:00 am 

Yeah i get that now.

I dislike NASCAR but I don't knock the engineers or cars one bit.

PostPosted: May 10, 2016, 10:55 am 
The voice of reason

Quote:
Sorry, it's just an observation based on the posts on this forum

Again with the fake sorry crap.

Quote:
Edited for accuracy.

You are not welcome to edit my posts for any reasons whatsoever.

What I think you are missing is that cars are built to marketing requirements.

Maybe if we remove all the sneering and posing what you're trying to say is that for sandwich panels it's fine to use materials less than half as strong because you just make the panel %25 thicker instead of using fabrics made with unidirectional fibers.

PostPosted: May 10, 2016, 11:55 am 

horizenjob wrote:
Again with the fake sorry crap.

What can I say? I'm English... we prefix everything we say with the word 'sorry', just like you guys say 'have a nice day' after every transaction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkF_XpA5P48

horizenjob wrote:
What I think you are missing is that cars are built to marketing requirements.

You're right, I'm missing that totally: I don't understand the point you're trying to make?

Cars are built to both marketing and functional requirements, but what has that got to do with this particular discussion?

horizenjob wrote:
...what you're trying to say is that for sandwich panels it's fine to use materials less than half as strong because you just make the panel %25 thicker instead of using fabric made with unidirectional fibers.

No, that's not what I'm trying to say at all.

I'm trying to say that it's no good using unidirectional fibres that are twice as stiff in one direction (but absolutely lousy in the other), because you need the stiffness in both directions in most areas on a monocoque chassis.

You're not trying to achieve exceptional beam stiffness or tensile strength, as you are on (say) a yacht mast or a suspension pullrod: you're trying to achieve exceptional torsional stiffness and torsion, for the most part, resolves itself into the skin of the monocoque as shear parallel to the face - which is what woven fabric is really good at.

PostPosted: May 10, 2016, 1:12 pm 

mjalaly wrote:
My car weighs 1220lbs in which the chassis is 187lbs and has the same torsional rigidity ...as a handful of carbon super cars.

OK, having seen the chassis design you're using, this statement rang immediate bullsh1t bells, so I went off and read your build thread to see if there was any reference to numbers. You're right: I was wrong to suggest that you were an expert, even in inverted commas. I apologise unreservedly.

I'm coming up against your post of Oct 17, 2012, which states a torsional stiffness of 3,400Nm/deg (about 2,500lb.ft/deg) for a chassis weight of 220lbs (call it 100kg). Have I got the right figures, or is the 187lbs (85kg) a later refinement?

Either way...

I'm struggling to find any correlation between that and the sort of torsional stiffness being achieved by any carbon supercar I'm aware of (actual figures are a closely guarded secret, but estimates for current examples are upwards of 10 times that number, for about the same weight).

For comparison (not a supercar, but quite relevant in the context of the sorts of cars that interest us on this forum), the Westfield FW400 tub gave about twice your stiffness for rather less than half your weight (in a 'Seven' style chassis design with its significantly smaller 2nd moment of area and very inefficient cockpit bay). If you're prepared to abandon the 'Seven' concept and design a tub using decent sized longitudinal torsion boxes for the sills (similar to the Costin designs discussed much further up this thread), the stiffness:weight figure rises dramatically.

Having said which, I've got a conventional 'Seven' style steel spaceframe design under construction at the moment that is about 30-40% lighter than yours, for the same level of stiffness, so it's possible to close the gap on the FW400 some, even with a spaceframe, and even with the very compromised 'Seven' chassis form.

PostPosted: May 10, 2016, 1:42 pm 

Good i am not an expert. :D (and i really don't need you to verify that since i really don't care)

probably old data...

here is the FEA # 21,141lbf without the floor. 38,015 est with the floor during a retest.

these cars weigh a lot more though.
Lamborghini Aventador 35,000
Ferrari F50 34,600
Lexus LFA 39,130

lets see your design... I can give you all the details on mine.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 312 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next