LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 12:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Say for instance..
PostPosted: February 6, 2014, 5:41 pm 
Toyotaphobe

I like the rear fenders on the yellow one.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: February 6, 2014, 10:44 pm 

do you think that the roll cage is really a safari style roof rack?

but we in it shall be remembered.

PostPosted: February 7, 2014, 12:19 am 

john hennessy wrote:
do you think that the roll cage is really a safari style roof rack?

lol

PostPosted: February 7, 2014, 11:32 pm 

I don't want to come off as being overly negative, but I'm having a hard time taking any of the questions jazz2561 has been asking via his threads seriously. With questions centered around topics like 190 mph diesel engines and building a chassis that's longer than a typical suburban, I'm beginning to think someone may be just trolling and wasting our time. Even if those are legitimate questions, we're probably not the forum most suited to answering them. There are resources out there that are a much closer fit to the vehicle he's describing. Let's stop feeding the troll or if he's legit, help him find the resources he needs.

We have so much good data here that at times finding exactly the information we need is already hard enough. I can't see how adding threads with essentially no real value helps our forum on a long term basis. If this does come across as overly negative, please adjust this post as needed. We have a great community and and resource here; I believe it's something we all value.

If I am off-base, then I apologize to jazz2561. It just seems that the goals for your car very different from the types of vehicle we usually talk about building. If your questions are serious, perhaps making a single thread with all of them and talking about your very different type car would be a great way to keep all of the information in one place for you.

PostPosted: February 8, 2014, 12:39 am 

we will know if he is legit when he starts a build thread.

but we in it shall be remembered.

PostPosted: February 8, 2014, 2:33 am 

I am very real (I'm really trying to work up enough money to build this beautiful machine), and no, im no troll. Besides trolling is stupid in its self. All im try to do is build a sports sedan based off the most popular sports car of all time. My real reason for building this thing is because im so used to having sedans and I don't need a flat out sports car (insurance will super high.)

PostPosted: February 8, 2014, 4:36 am 

Fair enough, and hope I didn't offend. It just that the questions you have been asking are quite a bit outside what we usually see. I look forward to your build thread.

PostPosted: March 15, 2014, 6:59 pm 

Update time, the window just opened up for me to build the car. Since I am going to add 51 inches to the standard 87 inch wheelbase, now its time to start thinking about chassis modifications. Should I stay with the standard 1 x 1 16 gauge tubing or should I go as I intended:
Bottom frame rail: 2 x 4 13 gauge steel tubing
Top frame rail, trans tunnel and triangulation: 2 x 2 14 gauge
A, B, C, D pillar and roll cage: 2" OD x .188 wall tubing

Engines: I6 twin turbo, v6 twin turbo, v8, v8 twin turbo, or duramax diesel (my top choice)

Please don't chew me out, they're just thoughts in planning for the build, I'm just used to sedans.

PostPosted: March 15, 2014, 7:19 pm 

jazz2561 wrote:
Update time, the window just opened up for me to build the car. Since I am going to add 51 inches to the standard 87 inch wheelbase, now its time to start thinking about chassis modifications. Should I stay with the standard 1 x 1 16 gauge tubing or should I go as I intended:

Engines: I6 twin turbo, v6 twin turbo, v8, v8 twin turbo, or duramax diesel (my top choice)

Please don't chew me out, they're just thoughts in planning for the build, I'm just used to sedans.

oww :shock: ... thats some heavy tubing
combined with the quantity needed for a 138" WB car your looking at a hell of a heavy chassis :ack:

just for your information;
i used to build sand/desert tube frame cars for a living and never ever used tubing anywhere near that wall thickness ,
even this under 120" WB, 1000+ hp twin turbo aluminum big block 572 cid mid-ship engine 4 seater ...
.... is mainly build out of 1.75 x .095" DOM (with some .120" wall DOM in high stress areas)
it still ended up being 4500 lbs ready to run :roll: :P

btw
Duramax would be kinda cool , but did you ever look at the engine weight :shock:

Last edited by RoosterBooster on March 15, 2014, 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: March 15, 2014, 7:23 pm 

Thanks for the reply, I know the wheelbase is long, but its long for a reason. I was looking at the Bentley Flying Spur Speed and I was totally blown away. The car is almost 5500 lbs and can do 200 with a zero to sixty of 4.4 seconds.

PostPosted: March 15, 2014, 7:26 pm 

lol yea its about 900 lbs fully dressed, but oddly enough a BB 454 is almost the same weight(the old school steel block engines). But I thought about it, if I managed to boost the Duramax's horsepower to 850 to 1000 hp, awesomeness will be mine
RoosterBooster wrote:
jazz2561 wrote:

oww :shock: ... thats some heavy tubing
combined with the quantity needed for a 138" WB car your looking at a hell of a heavy chassis :ack:

just for your information;
i used to build sand/desert tube frame cars for a living and never ever used tubing anywhere near that wall thickness ,
even this under 120" WB, 1000+ hp twin turbo aluminum big block 572 cid mid-ship engine 4 seater ...
.... is mainly build out of 1.75 x .095" DOM (with some .120" wall DOM in high stress areas)
it still ended up being 4500 lbs ready to run :roll: :P

btw
Duramax would be kinda cool , but did you ever look at the engine weight :shock:

PostPosted: March 15, 2014, 7:58 pm 

jazz2561 wrote:
Thanks for the reply, I know the wheelbase is long, but its long for a reason. I was looking at the Bentley Flying Spur Speed and I was totally blown away. The car is almost 5500 lbs and can do 200 with a zero to sixty of 4.4 seconds.

not to discourage you,
but to get that kind of performance out of a heavy tank you need major HP....
major HP = major trans
major trans = major rearend
and on and on it goes ....

this is the engine we stuffed into that buggy;

it is a mind blowing fast car (and even street legal)
... but your looking at $ 40000+ for the engine alone (all aluminum, all forged internals, dry sump oiling ,...) :shock:
add to that the twin turbos, EFI and all the complex plumbing (way past $ 10000)
and then you still need a trans (i dont remember how much the full manual shift Alison/TH400 hybrid that we used was :? )
and a rearend that can handle that power ($ 7000 custom B&J 10" Quickchange with 41 spline output shafts and all 300M internals)
heck, i remember that the EFI fuel pump (what was the size of a pool pump :shock: ) alone was more expensive then my DD car
(ok, i drive a POS E150 van :P .. so maybe it was not that bad :lol: )
dont even get me started on the extra large Radiators and coolers (all 6 of them :roll: ) ...

anyway.... if you dream about that kind of performance your looking at a major money-pit

(sure, it was a lot of fun for me to build the car ... but in all reality its just insane to sink that amount of money into a "Toy")

PostPosted: March 15, 2014, 8:07 pm 

In the words of 2chainz, truuuuu. But im just going to make it simple take the whole entire powertrain from a wrecked chevy truck with a duramax or :roll: get a a truck with a v8 or v6 and pull its powertrain, drop the chassis tube wall thickness to 14 gauge and call it a day.

PostPosted: March 15, 2014, 8:07 pm 

I forgot to mention, that Bentley had 600hp
RoosterBooster wrote:
jazz2561 wrote:

not to discourage you,
but to get that kind of performance out of a heavy tank you need major HP....
major HP = major trans
major trans = major rearend
and on and on it goes ....

this is the engine we stuffed into that buggy;

it is a mind blowing fast car (and even street legal)
... but your looking at $ 40000+ for the engine alone (all aluminum, all forged internals, dry sump oiling ,...) :shock:
add to that the twin turbos, EFI and all the complex plumbing (way past $ 10000)
and then you still need a trans (i dont remember how much the full manual shift Alison/TH400 hybrid that we used was :? )
and a rearend that can handle that power ($ 7000 custom B&J 10" Quickchange with 41 spline output shafts and all 300M internals)
heck, i remember that the EFI fuel pump (what was the size of a pool pump :shock: ) alone was more expensive then my DD car
(ok, i drive a POS E150 van :P .. so maybe it was not that bad :lol: )
dont even get me started on the extra large Radiators and coolers (all 6 of them :roll: ) ...

anyway.... if you dream about that kind of performance your looking at a major money-pit

(sure, it was a lot of fun for me to build the car ... but in all reality its just insane to sink that amount of money into a "Toy")

PostPosted: March 15, 2014, 9:00 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

rx7locost wrote:
Don't forget to plan for ~6inch or maybe more ground clearance. If you use the traditional 3-1/2" to 4-1/2"ground clearance that 40 inch longer wheelbase will certainly get you high centered quite often. It seems like a dicotomy. Minivan meets sports car. Not my cup 'o tea I must say.

Or have the rear occupants legs straddle the front seats, but that'll make the car a lot wider... seems like a tough go and still having it end up wrong at the end.