LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 5, 2024, 3:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: August 29, 2015, 8:17 pm 

I bought a bare welded tube frame chassis with exterior rust. I stored the chassis here in humid Mississippi, and the frame now has even more rust on the exterior (as well as on the insides of the chassis tubes, visible when looking though the ends of some open chassis tube ends).

My question: I want to get rid of the rust prior to building the car, but am unsure if I should have the chassis dipped or if I should just remove the rust on the outside of the tubing with a wire wheel, etc.

I have asked others their opinions, and have gotten votes for both methods. The nearest dipping operation (100 miles away in Louisiana) said that all tubes must be sealed, which indicates to me that their rust removal dipping solution is not allowed inside the tubes, which I actually want in order to clear the rust inside of the metal tubing. Clearing the rust from inside of the tubing is the main reason I would have the frame dipped, actually.

Does anyone have any experience or recommendations on how I should proceed? BTW, I would have the chassis shipped farther away if I could get the rust problem dealt with thoroughly, and if it is important to do so.

Thanks,
Jack

PostPosted: August 29, 2015, 11:06 pm 

Are we talking about a Locost multi tube space frame or something simple like a twin tube? I'm not sure a space frame with known internal rust would be worth saving. But I am pretty conservative about structural things.

PostPosted: August 29, 2015, 11:28 pm 

It is a really nicely done multi tube frame. Definitely worth saving.

Jack

PostPosted: August 30, 2015, 8:01 am 

Don't use a powered wire wheel, they make the surface slick and paint does not adhere well. If you do, etch prior to painting.

I'd talk to the dipper and explain you want to remove the rust inside the tubes. See if you find out WHY the tubes need to be sealed. There might be a legitimate reason, maybe liquid left in the tubes does bad things. I imagine it would be nearly impossible to get them to drain fully, especially if there are any leaky welds.

Bill

PostPosted: August 30, 2015, 1:06 pm 

Sand blast.

I've used the gun out of a cheap cheap blast cabinet, and a longer media-feed-hose and a bag of blast media carried around the job. Requires some patience and/or a big capacity compressor.

PostPosted: August 31, 2015, 3:23 pm 

I would etch the outside and paint with POR 15 or something similar. As to the inner tube rust. Get a gallon of bar and chain oil. We in Vermont use this on the underside of our cars to prevent rust from spreading. The oil has a high parafin content and will set up as a thick waxxy coating. If you heat the oil in a pot of water it flows way better. Flood the tubes with it and it will stop the rust from ever progressing from the inside. It won't remove the rust, but by encapsulating the steel in oil, it will never be exposed to moisture and so it won't rust. Also, if the tubes aren't 100% sealed to each other, a bit of leakage won't hurt anything. Now, I would be sure to do this only after all welding was complete on the frame as it would likely make a smokey mess.