LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 12:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: January 23, 2016, 12:15 am 

Ok, this may not be in the right place, so I apologize in advance if that's the case.

I have a question, that has probably been answered somewhere here, but I'll ask it anyway.

I will be getting a donor vehicle, and taking all the good stuff. That will include the wheels and all the other stuff that keeps the body off the ground. That will leave me with a body up on jack stands that I can't exactly just drive to the junk yard.

So...... how do I get said body, or empty donor carcass out of my garage and gone? I know I'm not the first person to have this problem, so would greatly appreciate any thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks!

AE

PostPosted: January 23, 2016, 12:18 am 

Craigslist. Put it on as scrap metal and if you still have it by the end of the day I'd be surprised!!

KS

Check out Firearm Finishes & Coating for options to ceramic coat your Locost parts. Hundreds of stock or custom colors including Chrome and Clear Coating options now available! High Temp options for hot bits!! Plastics too!!

Never become a pessimist. A pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.-Robert A. Heinlein

PostPosted: January 23, 2016, 12:22 am 
Locostering Legend

I dropped mine on 2" x 6" boards and the recycle yard winched them out and onto their rollback truck.

Some builders cut them into manageable pieces and haul them away themselves.

PostPosted: January 23, 2016, 12:35 am 
The voice of reason

If it's a Miata someone will buy the shell. You can always cut it up with an angle grinder and haul it away or put it in contractor bags just like any body....
:)

PostPosted: January 23, 2016, 3:28 am 

You get rid of it the same way you got it home, drag it down the street on it's roof with a big chain.

Bonus points if it has (had) a roof rack.

Kristian

PostPosted: January 23, 2016, 7:30 am 

I tried to flatten one of our scrap vans with a log . Surprising how tough the criters can be, the door still opened. :)

Mancave http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/mypic ... ow/mancave

PostPosted: January 23, 2016, 11:00 am 

I cut one up with an angle grinder once, but the traditional method is a sawzall with a fine blade.

Cut across the roof and floor to cut the car in half, then cut the firewall and core support to quarter (and same at the rear) and you can usually wrestle the quarters into a pickup truck. Otherwise, cut them in half again as needed.

PostPosted: January 23, 2016, 11:14 am 

Don't use an angle grinder or sawzall (which you probably already have), tell your batter half that you need a plasma cutter to do the job. Carcass gone, and new toy for the tool collection. BINGO! But don't say you heard it from me! :wink:

PostPosted: January 23, 2016, 11:28 am 

Park it in front of a fire hydrant then call to complain about the abandoned car?

Saves sawzall blades....

PostPosted: January 23, 2016, 1:29 pm 

I used a plasma and cut it into quarters. The scrap yard won't ask for the title that way. If you have a truck or small trailer just cut it up small enough to fit in there.

Or like others said list it as free scrap and even at todays low scrap prices it will disappear fast.

Chris
Build: NA Miata based +221 Se7en

PostPosted: January 23, 2016, 1:37 pm 

I was too lazy to cut mine up in pieces. Besides there were good body panels, glass, etc., to be recycled, so why waste it? I split the towing cost with a local salvage yard and they had it picked up. It did cost me a few bucks. I think it was $30, but I can't remember for sure. I did have to do some paperwork with the DMV afterwords to get it off the State inventory and be able to re-register my Locost with the serial numbers from it.
Attachment:
Loading-Donor.jpg

If you cut it up, you can rent a truck, load it up, and sell it to a scarp metal yard. They'd pay you by the pound, but I have no idea how much you'd get.

Cheers,

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: January 23, 2016, 2:28 pm 

FieroReinke wrote:
I used a plasma and cut it into quarters. The scrap yard won't ask for the title that way. If you have a truck or small trailer just cut it up small enough to fit in there.

Or like others said list it as free scrap and even at todays low scrap prices it will disappear fast.

If you drop it off in the parking lot of a scrap yard in the middle of the night they don't ask for a title either. My wife actually found an ad for a guy that would haul away scrap cars and give you some of the money from them. I think we got $35 or so for a scrap festiva full of other crap, but that was when scrap prices were still pretty high.
Kristian

PostPosted: January 23, 2016, 8:07 pm 

I'm probably outside of any statutes of limitations now, but I disposed of a couple of hulks when I was in high school. They were still towable, so a friend and I dropped one off in the principal's marked parking place at high school. Later that year we did another.

The fun thing was, the school didn't have them towed. They just made complaints and threats over the intercom. And the cars... evaporated. Wheels, seats, doors, fenders... night be night, parts would disappear. One night someone apparently brought a torch out and got the right quarter panel off the Impala.

PostPosted: January 23, 2016, 9:35 pm 

Mike nailed it.

PostPosted: January 23, 2016, 10:05 pm 

I kinda liked TRX's story about the Impala!