LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 19, 2024, 12:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: January 25, 2016, 12:46 am 
Man of Constant Hazard

Drawn and quartered.

It's kind of a tradition around here.

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway
Visit my [Locost 7 build log]

PostPosted: January 25, 2016, 1:32 pm 

When I went to get rid of my carcass this summer, I found that scrap prices were so low, that they would no longer pick up shells for free. I would have had to pay for the tow to the scrap yard and then they would pay me per weight which would pay back about 1/2 the tow cost. I found a friend with a car hauler who had a pile of metal junk he needed to get rid of. My empty shell became the receptacle for his scrap and everybody wins.

PostPosted: January 25, 2016, 5:56 pm 

As there was no nearby scrap yard that wanted it when I was done, I had mine hauled to the metal pile at the local dump. I think it cost $50.00 or something.

PostPosted: February 13, 2016, 12:41 pm 

What? :lol:

My local recycling yard asked for the title, which I didn't have. I took it back home and whacked it into several pieces with an acetylene torch, buried them under other scrap in the pickup bed and over the course of 3 visits, got rid of it. By the way, gutted MG's weigh exactly 900 lbs.

I wouldn't recommend the torch method for those who live in urban areas. Too much flammable stuff to worry about.

Current projects:
http://fordsix.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=72863

http://fordsix.com//viewtopic.php?f=2&t=73244

PostPosted: February 13, 2016, 2:04 pm 

I put mine on craigslist and a guy cam with a trailer and winch pulled it up onto the trailer and off he went.

Scrap Metal Build Log viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14558

PostPosted: May 25, 2016, 6:20 am 

A little late to the game, but I'll throw my two cents in for NJ. I had a discussion with the Foreign Titles guys (They handle kit, home built, etc. titling) and they said that if you have a titled donor vehicle, you need to keep that vehicle and title until you title the new vehicle. The reason is that if you sign over the title to the scrap yard, it goes into the system as a scrapped vehicle. Even though you owned the car when you stripped it of all you wanted, now you have no real proof that you own the parts. No receipts, not letters notarized, etc. In effect, it creates a loop that does not end, at least not well.
Sooo...I had a conversation with a recycling yard I have done business with for three decades and had a candid conversation about this topic. If there is any doubt about your state's requirements, do this: Cut the car up into itty bitty donor pieces, except for basically the firewall. Take everything to the scrap yard as scrap except the firewall with the VIN tag. That way they are only taking scrap metal, not a vehicle. Keep the firewall tucked away until you title the locost. Then, and only then, take the firewall with the VIN to the scrapyard, with title in hand. My guy said that that was enough of the vehicle to accept as a scrap vehicle, and now all of the i's are dotted and t's crossed.