LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 5, 2024, 8:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: February 12, 2016, 3:30 am 

Hey all,

Newbie here, but long time lurker. I've been working on a simple SketchUp model based on the 442E. I do not like the complexity of the front suspension mounting points on the book chassis, so I have come up with (what I think is) a simpler solution 8) . Take a look at the model and let me know your thoughts.

Link to Sketchfab viewer: https://skfb.ly/KSZS

Thanks!
Preston

PostPosted: February 12, 2016, 7:52 am 

None of us like complexity, but the guideline for spaceframe design is (allegedly a quote from Einstein on a very different subject): It should be as simple as possible, but no simpler.

I don't know if you're done or if you haven't finished that chassis, but it needs a great deal of triangulation forward of the firewall, and your suspension box (the top, bottom, and sides) is a good place to start.

Congratulations on your upgrade from Lurk Mode, and welcome to the monkey house.

PostPosted: February 12, 2016, 8:00 am 
We are Slotus!

G'morning RX007 (Bond, James Bond...)

Yeah, what he said... Frame looks good around the cockpit, but kinda Flexible Flyer on both ends... Needs something from the upper part of the rear bulkhead down to that rectangle at the back, needs some triangulation around the engine bay and a few on the sides of the front "box"...

Guess we're picking on you, and you're a new guy and all... Ain't fair, is it? Sorry... Sort of... Don't want you to be unhappy with your car when it's too late to do anything about it... :mrgreen:

And, what he said... Welcome to the Monkey House!
:cheers:
JD "Main Monkey" Kemp

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: February 12, 2016, 10:06 am 

Well dang it... Gonzo stole the Bond reference before we all got to sit down! Yo Rx... Welcome!! Nice drawing... keep threatening to put my McRorty 442 into 3D some day.

You have some great structure around the "squish bits"!! You may just be in design phase, or you may be partly through a frame weld-up... I'm looking at that front end though and I notice you have a double upright at "Q" along with a break at both the upper and lower tubes though. That's going to be quite a stress point if you're using the std 1" .065 wall steel tube.

Gonzos "Flexi-Flyer" reference might be an understatement without some serious structure under pinning that nose box. I like the profile it gives you, but it might be a hard battle to stiffen it up when the front end wants to push back through the frame with not a lot to stop it.

It's a big jump from lurker to full blown deviant. Even harder when people start right in about what you got wrong. Don't fear, we've all been on that end of the stick and want you to know that it's all in good spirit. Does no good to have you get through your hard fought build to have a miserable driving car or worse... to have your car fold on you in Turn 2!! We don't want to see that!

Cheers.... BUILD ON!!!

KS

Check out Firearm Finishes & Coating for options to ceramic coat your Locost parts. Hundreds of stock or custom colors including Chrome and Clear Coating options now available! High Temp options for hot bits!! Plastics too!!

Never become a pessimist. A pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.-Robert A. Heinlein

PostPosted: February 12, 2016, 11:55 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:
Guess we're picking on you, and you're a new guy and all... Ain't fair, is it?
Hey, he's a long time lurker, he knows what he's getting into. Don't coddle the new kid, we need him tough, so when he's driving his Locost someday, he won't break down in tears when people ask him questions about his "kit car".

PostPosted: February 12, 2016, 12:26 pm 

HA Thanks for all the welcoming comments! And no need to coddle, I can handle it

My RX007 forum name dates back to when I got my RX-7 in 2004 (sold it last year so I am really missing a nimble car), and I'm a huge Bond fan so naturally they belong together :D

I have not started the build at all, I am still in the early stages of design. Really the reason for posting the design with out it being complete is I wanted to get some feedback on the front end. I will not be deviating much from the original 442E design so I will be adding all the triangulation shown on the plans, and will update the thread with my progress.

Regarding triangulation around the engine bay, I haven't added it yet because I am still undecided on an engine. I would really like to do a stock 5.0, but we'll see, I know its way too much power but I've always owned Japanese sports cars and now I want the rumble of a V8.

With the thought of using a V8, I have up-sized the framing to 1.25" x 16ga tubing.

So dose having the A-arm attachments on the same plane make sense?

Last edited by RX007 on February 12, 2016, 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: February 12, 2016, 12:45 pm 
The voice of reason

Glad to see someone work with a SketchUp model. I maintain a SketchUp library of parts, so you can get bunch of useful stuff and then see what you feel like improving. In addition to the SketchUp work we also have FEA models of the Locost and frames designed by two forum members. One of the member frames is an improved book frame and mine is Car9, a heavier duty from scratch frame with a roll cage.

You can get spindle, wheel/tire, steering rack, driver and a 302 engine model from the libraries in my signature. That should help with the front frame design. I should push some updates, I have been mostly sharing with the people actually building a Car9.

PostPosted: February 12, 2016, 12:49 pm 

RX007 wrote:
HA Thanks for all the welcoming comments! And no need to coddle, I can handle it

My RX007 forum name dates back to when I got my RX-7 in 2004 (sold it last year so I am really missing a nimble car), and I'm a huge Bond fan so naturally they belong together :D

I have not started the build at all, I am still in the early stages of design. Really the reason for posting the design with out it being complete is I wanted to get some feedback on the front end. I will not be deviating much from the original 442E design so I will be adding all the triangulation shown on the plans, and will update the thread with my progress.

Regarding triangulation around the engine bay, I haven't added it yet because I am still undecided on an engine. I would really like to do a stock 5.0, but we'll see, I know its way to much power but I've always owned Japanese sports cars and now I want the rumble of a V8.

With the thought of using a V8, I have up-sized the framing to 1.25" x 16ga tubing.

So dose having the A-arm attachments on the same plane make sense?

Why not both? The 1UZ and VH45 are potent, fantastic sounding, aluminum motors!

Driven5 wrote:
Forced Induction + Magic Spinning Doritos = EMod

PostPosted: February 12, 2016, 1:24 pm 

How do you tell the new guy??

RX007 wrote:
.... I know its way too much power....

Yeah... that was hard!

No such thing as too much power... simply not enough traction and wider tires usually cure that, right Gonzo?

KS

Check out Firearm Finishes & Coating for options to ceramic coat your Locost parts. Hundreds of stock or custom colors including Chrome and Clear Coating options now available! High Temp options for hot bits!! Plastics too!!

Never become a pessimist. A pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.-Robert A. Heinlein

PostPosted: February 12, 2016, 1:28 pm 

I was originally trying to make the frame in Bendtech 7, but it is hard to reverse engineer with that program and for it to match the plans exactly. I think Sketchup is working just fine.

Do the 1UZ and VH45 have manual swaps? I like the 5.0 for its simplicity and parts support, not to mention lots of information about using them as donor motors.

I'm coming from a 2,800 lb RX-7 that had plenty of get up and had way less torque, I think the 5.0 will be crazy fast. Fat tires indeed are needed!

PostPosted: February 12, 2016, 2:39 pm 

absolutely. They both are popular 240 swaps, and people routinely swap in manual transmissions into the sc400 and gs400.

As for the vh45.. there is a company (Collins performance?) that makes an adapter plate to use essentially any Nissan RWD 5/6 speed trans from the last 20 years.. everything from the ka24 up to the latest vq37 manual trans.

For the 1uz - its a little more common than the vh45 - particularly in aussie land. simple as buying the adapter than fits your trans. There are ones available for everything from a GM Muncie pattern to Toyota r154.

Though neither will be nearly as cheap as 5.0/t5.

Driven5 wrote:
Forced Induction + Magic Spinning Doritos = EMod

PostPosted: February 12, 2016, 7:15 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

RX007 wrote:
Hey all,

Newbie here, but long time lurker. I've been working on a simple SketchUp model based on the 442E. I do not like the complexity of the front suspension mounting points on the book chassis, so I have come up with (what I think is) a simpler solution 8) . Take a look at the model and let me know your thoughts.

Link to Sketchfab viewer: https://skfb.ly/KSZS

Thanks!
Preston

Only if it supports the nose, side panel, and/or hood line you want. Without all the components, you don't know if it is better or not; even if it were triangulated.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12