LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 1:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Question
PostPosted: December 31, 2016, 6:59 am 

Hello everyone.

I have build a car of which bodywork is remaining.

Yesterday i noticed that left uca is shorter than right one by 1/4 an inch. Obviously i have adjustment type UCA so that i can alter its length. After adjustment i saw that it results in way more positive camber. So I came to know that its not the UCA its the mounting point which is not located properly.

Question is shall i modify the mounting points or its ok to have little bit of difference. How will it affect my car?

Thank you. And Happy New year to All of you.

Swapnil

Post subject: Re: Question
PostPosted: December 31, 2016, 8:17 am 

I wouldn't worry about it. That's closer than most of the factory cars I've measured.

PostPosted: December 31, 2016, 9:29 am 
We are Slotus!

TRX wrote:
I wouldn't worry about it. That's closer than most of the factory cars I've measured.
While I don't disagree with TRX, it would bug me to know that the control arms were off by that 1/4 inch. It also seems to me that there isn't much material involved in building a control arm, just some time. Could you get together the tubing and hardware you'd need, build a new one that matches the longer one? It can be done now, or after you finish the body work or at some time in the (near) future. In the meantime, build on!
:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: December 31, 2016, 11:11 am 

Current production control arm holes are located within 2.0 mm for 99.8% of the production build. And 2.3mm variation will get you a 1.67Cpk.
Depending on how large your C/A bracket(s) is, you my be able weld up the current holes and re-drill them in the correct location. Use a copper plate, clamped on the back side of the bracket ear before welding in the hole so you do not have to grind the weld down on the inside surface between the ears. Because it will be a bear getting the hole exactly right, drill under size and dress the hole by hand. Dave W