LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 3:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: April 6, 2018, 12:15 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:
I feel certain possum pee would be damned hard to harvest. I might also totally dissolve the conduit on contact. I don't really know and do not wish to find out. You ever seen a possum up close?
That is one fearsome bugger, JD.

And I though all possums looked like this
Attachment:
Pogo.jpg
Think I'll stick with the vinegar.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

My Car9 build: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14613
"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

Ultima Spyder, Northstar 4.0, Porsche G50/52

PostPosted: April 6, 2018, 12:40 am 
The voice of reason

Glad the vinegar worked for you. It would work a good deal quicker on a hot day and it's not too hard to wait overnight. Plus I think you can make a good zinc salad dressing with it!

I think that picture is of a friendly southern Possum. Up in these parts they file their teeth into needle points.

PostPosted: April 6, 2018, 8:23 am 
We are Slotus!

horizenjob wrote:
I think that picture is of a friendly southern Possum. Up in these parts they file their teeth into needle points.
But can your Yankee possums do this? :mrgreen: http://wreg.com/2017/12/04/opossum-breaks-into-florida-liquor-store-gets-drunk/

:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: April 6, 2018, 10:51 am 

seattletom wrote:
And I though all possums looked like this.

Wow. I think this is the first Pogo reference I've ever seen on a forum. How -old-ARE you??

My favourite was the Deacon, mainly because of his speaking font.

PostPosted: April 6, 2018, 10:59 am 
The voice of reason

Well that was probably one of the smarter possums. I think it must have been trying to make a margarita. People up nawth, here, don't talk about it much, but the weather can be a little "character building" for lack of a better term. People don't much like those sharp teeth but they do serve a function. See when we go outside and need to walk somewhere ( in the winter ) the possums latch onto our ankles and just won't let go. This lets them function as snow shoes and actually makes it easier to get around. Except for the terrible pain of course. But it is a welcome respite from the mesquitos. They have a hard time because their poor little feet get froze off in the winter when they land on something metal like a car. After that, next summer, the only way they can get a rest ( no feet to land on ) is to drive themselves at full speed pointy snout forward into a human or other animal.

You might have heard an old New England expression, "You can't get thar from herea". It's just a shorthand for explaining local difficulties, like if it's winter and you want to walk into town - you might have to walk a different direction until you gather up enough possum on your legs to walk any distance in the snow. Rubbing your boots with bacon grease helped this of course.

Before you travel up here for a visit we should go over some more of this stuff. Hey do you ave a pet dolphin? I used to watch that TV show about FLorida when I was a kid and that seemed cool!

PostPosted: April 6, 2018, 12:14 pm 

SkinnyG wrote:
seattletom wrote:
And I though all possums looked like this.

Wow. I think this is the first Pogo reference I've ever seen on a forum. How -old-ARE you??

My favorite was the Deacon, mainly because of his speaking font.
Attachment:
Deacon.jpg
Skinny, looks like we're both the same vintage. :D

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

PostPosted: April 6, 2018, 2:33 pm 
We are Slotus!

I LOVE Pogo! One of my favorites... And, I've actually been to the Okefenokee swamp. Didn't see Pogo or my favorite, Churchy LeFemme the poet, but it's one helluva swamp, lemme tell ya!

The real reason I'm posting is because of our friend Marcus. See his last post. I'm not aware of Massachusetts legalizing pot (or anything stronger) but I'm afraid the long, cold winter has gotten to Marcus along with some kind of substance abuse. Perhaps it was them funny cigarettes or zinc fumes or that gasoline gargle he mentioned.

Regardless, I think we need an intervention. Is there anybody up there that could toss a butterfly net over him, put him a large cardboard box (with air-holes) and maybe ship him to me? The boy needs some sunshine and maybe a big plate of oysters or shrimp or red beans & rice.

Anybody willing to ship him this way? I'll pay ya back for the freight...
:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: April 6, 2018, 2:52 pm 

GonzoRacer wrote:
I LOVE Pogo! One of my favorites... And, I've actually been to the Okefenokee swamp. Didn't see Pogo or my favorite, Churchy LeFemme the poet, but it's one helluva swamp, lemme tell ya!

The real reason I'm posting is because of our friend Marcus. See his last post. I'm not aware of Massachusetts legalizing pot (or anything stronger) but I'm afraid the long, cold winter has gotten to Marcus along with some kind of substance abuse. Perhaps it was them funny cigarettes or zinc fumes or that gasoline gargle he mentioned.

Regardless, I think we need an intervention. Is there anybody up there that could toss a butterfly net over him, put him a large cardboard box (with air-holes) and maybe ship him to me? The boy needs some sunshine and maybe a big plate of oysters or shrimp or red beans & rice.

Anybody willing to ship him this way? I'll pay ya back for the freight...
JD, perhaps Marcus was just waxing poetically like your friend Churchy.
Attachment:
Churchy.jpg
Or as you suggest, it could be the New England weather finally got to him.

PostPosted: April 6, 2018, 4:40 pm 

Knowing the lot here, the oysters would be mammalian and not aquatic! :mrgreen:

Toilet bowl cleaner works in a pinch for removing zinc. It also tends to stay put better, because of the gelling agents.

PostPosted: May 16, 2018, 10:15 am 

Hi,
I have used EMT up to 1.25" for many projects. It is inexpensive and readily available at the local home/electrical supply. The 1.25" EMT is 1.51" OD so it fits my 1.5" bender dies very well. Take 1/2", flatten the ends and drill a hole for bracing. I grind off the plating as best as possible without going too far into the base metal. This reduced the zinc but does not eliminate it, also the grinding dust is zinc so be careful of it also. I have also noticed that EMT does not seem as strong as the carbon steel tubing of the same dimensions I have used. Im not sure if I would use it for a chassis.
wm