LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 6:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 231 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16  Next
PostPosted: April 8, 2014, 6:10 pm 
Always Moore!

The Focus and Miata flywheels are the same diameter and same tooth count but I want to say they actual interface for the clutch pressure plate is different.

PostPosted: April 9, 2014, 6:20 pm 

Beardy wrote:
None of the Mazda range use a solid I suppose?

Hi Beardy,
I have a Focus 2.0 and used a solid flywheel from a Mazda 3 (so called in Australia, dunno what it is in USA).
Flywheel PCD, outer size & teeth the same, but spaced fore-aft differently: With the Focus starter, it was pre-engaged with the ring gear by a few mm. I cut down the starter's pinion gear to suit.

Cheers - Gavin.

PostPosted: November 13, 2014, 3:57 am 

Like Gavin I to have a 2.0lt Duratec and have fitted a Mazda 6 2.3lt. flywheel. I also used the pressure plate and clutch from the Mazda.
The solid Mazda flywheel is 30% lighter than the Ford dual mass flywheel. I machined another 2.5lb of steel off the outer rim of the Mazda flywheel making the completed flywheel just on 40% lighter than the original Ford dual mass unit. The majority of the mass difference between the Ford and Mazda was from the outer part of the flywheel which really improves the response of the engine with the solid Mazda flywheel now fitted.
The pressure plate and clutch from the Mazda are more robust/heavy duty than the Ford units which is an added bonus.
I fitted the Starter motor from the Mazda also so the throwout matched the flywheel. The Mazda starter is a straight swap for the Ford unit.
Hope this is of some help.
Cheers
Maurice

Last edited by Maurice1 on November 11, 2015, 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: November 29, 2014, 3:55 pm 

Would a list of duratec suppliers help in this thread?

PostPosted: January 11, 2015, 7:00 pm 

I'd love a list of suppliers.

I particularly need a low profile oil sump that has the 10 degree cant for a miata transmission and also fits the 2.3 crank.

Does anyone know of a factory cam comparison so that I can mix and match? I can probably pick up a used focus cam for much less than a custom new one. I'm sure the 2.3 truck cam can't be ideal for this application, but I'm hoping to avoid paying $500 for a custom race unit.

Anything to lower the valve cover height would be helpful too.

PostPosted: June 5, 2015, 10:00 pm 

Keeping an eye out on this thread. So caterham uses these motors so I'm assuming making good power isn't an issue. By good power I mean 200-220 hp. As anymore and goodbye traction on the street.

I know the newer focus 2012+ are not consider duratec anymore. I wanna say anything below 2012 they are. Boy I have more research to do.

PostPosted: June 8, 2015, 3:08 am 

For a 2.3L at the crank, no problem...For a 2.0L at the wheels, that'll take some effort.

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

PostPosted: June 8, 2015, 7:50 am 
Always Moore!

My car's new owner dynoed it and it ended up around 170 at the crank (dyno was in whp). With the stock cam, the 2.0's torque curve was a straight line; explains why it was so drivable. Seeing as it had headers, ITBs, and a MS, I dont think you'd get much more out of it without doing cams.

PostPosted: June 10, 2015, 2:24 pm 

So I've swapped an NC Miata oil pan onto the Ranger block, and now I'm trying to get the oil pickup figured out.

The ranger oil pickup tube wasn't even close to fitting the baffling in the Miata pan, so I ordered a Miata oil pickup.

The Miata very nearly fits the Ranger oil pump, but it's not quite right.

Is a Miata oil pump the only way to make things match up?

It's surprisingly hard to take clear pictures down through a thin bushing, but you can see that the holes don't quite align. There's probably 1/4" or less gap.

PostPosted: June 10, 2015, 5:34 pm 

Maurice1 wrote:
Like Gavin I to have a 2.0lt Duratec and have fitted a Mazda 2.3 flywheel. I also used the pressure plate and clutch from the Mazda.
The solid Mazda flywheel is 30% lighter than the Ford dual mass flywheel. I machined another 2.5lb of steel off the outer rim of the Mazda flywheel making the completed flywheel just on 40% lighter than the original Ford dual mass unit. The majority of the mass difference between the Ford and Mazda was from the outer part of the flywheel which really improves the response of the engine with the solid Mazda flywheel now fitted.
The pressure plate and clutch from the Mazda are more robust/heavy duty than the Ford units which is an added bonus.
I fitted the Starter motor from the Mazda also so the throwout matched the flywheel. The Mazda starter is a straight swap for the Ford unit.
Hope this is of some help.
Cheers
Maurice

When you say ford unit I assume you mean using a ranger transmission. Correct?

PostPosted: June 10, 2015, 11:22 pm 
Always Moore!

http://www.burtonpower.com/std-oil-pump ... r6513.html

Based on this link, it looks like the 2.0 and 2.3 have different pumps. It doesn't say whether a 2.0 Miata pump differs from a 2.0 Focus pump but I'd find that sort of illogical.

Those pick-ups are not very complicated. Can you fab your own tube and flange and weld them together?

PostPosted: June 11, 2015, 11:33 am 

Briggs wrote:
Based on the context, I'd say "Ford unit" means the starter. Basically stating that there were no changes in starter mounting between the Ford and Mazda applications of these engines, so it's easiest to use which ever starter matches the flywheel being used. I'm pretty sure this is in reference to use with an NC Miata transmission though.

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

PostPosted: June 11, 2015, 5:32 pm 

Driven5 wrote:
Briggs wrote:
Based on the context, I'd say "Ford unit" means the starter. Basically stating that there were no changes in starter mounting between the Ford and Mazda applications of these engines, so it's easiest to use which ever starter matches the flywheel being used. I'm pretty sure this is in reference to use with an NC Miata transmission though.

That's what I thought. I'm sure there's an easy solution out there for light weight flywheel when using the ranger trans. Just need to find something that's the same diameter and tooth count. Bolt patterns can be changed.

PostPosted: October 24, 2015, 12:13 pm 

Is anyone using a duratec with a ranger transmission? I need some measurements. Basically just need to know the height difference between the lowest part of the oil pan and the center of the output shaft on the trans. I'm setting my differential and want to make sure my driveshaft angle is correct.

Thanks.

PostPosted: October 25, 2015, 7:20 am 

Briggs, the Ranger output shaft is in line with the crankshaft center.

Bill

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 231 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16  Next