LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 4:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: February 17, 2015, 3:28 pm 

Sorry I'm old and don't track well anymore. If I wanted to test this motor on my dyno which bell housing will I need ? :oops:

PostPosted: February 17, 2015, 5:50 pm 

B85 wrote:
Sorry I'm old and don't track well anymore. If I wanted to test this motor on my dyno which bell housing will I need ? :oops:

I think anything that bolted to a GM/Opel 4 Cyl GM ECOTEC. Again, you need to look for RWD applications and all I found in North America was Isuzu truck that had the GM 4 cyl 2.2 engines.

Link to my build log:
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=3356

PostPosted: February 17, 2015, 6:08 pm 

That must be the S10 / Isuzu 2.2 truck motor package ? Also called LN2,Vortec 2200,GM 122 ?

Here is a bolt pattern for the GM metric housing. Is this it ? Or is it a different one.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: February 17, 2015, 8:30 pm 

Im not finding any complete transmissions that work for lower then $600. Anyone know of someone to get one for cheaper? If I have too ill spend the money but like to save where I can.

PostPosted: February 17, 2015, 11:26 pm 

B85 wrote:
That must be the S10 / Isuzu 2.2 truck motor package ? Also called LN2,Vortec 2200,GM 122 ?

Here is a bolt pattern for the GM metric housing. Is this it ? Or is it a different one.

The 2.2 L engine was a derivative of the GM Family II engine introduced in 1995 built by Holden in Australia. It might be the same thing. Keep in mind this is the inline 4 cyl, not the V6.

The 2.2 L engine was a derivative of the GM Family II engine introduced in 1995 built by Holden in Australia that saw usage first in Australian and European versions of Isuzu-derived trucks and SUVs, and was later used in the Isuzu Rodeo and Daewoo Leganza. The X22XE was also used in the Opel/Vauxhall Sintra (1996–1999).

further Applications:

Isuzu Faster
Isuzu MU/Isuzu Amigo (1995–2004)
Opel/Vauxhall Frontera (1998–2004)
Opel/Vauxhall Vectra C
Honda Passport (1998–2002)
Opel Omega

Link to my build log:

Last edited by locofinn on February 17, 2015, 11:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: February 17, 2015, 11:32 pm 

Briggs wrote:
Im not finding any complete transmissions that work for lower then $600. Anyone know of someone to get one for cheaper? If I have too ill spend the money but like to save where I can.

I would think you should get a working trans AND the bell housing to go with it for about $400 tops. It is nothing special. I got mine shipped from an AZ junkyard to Indiana for $200 off FleaBay including shipping! I'm not rubbing it in your face but I'm thinking $600 for just a used truck tranny is a bit high. Maybe they will negotiate?

Also look for Honda Passport 1998-2002 with the 2.2L 4cyl. It was the same vehicle with a different name.

Link to my build log:

PostPosted: February 17, 2015, 11:49 pm 

locofinn wrote:
Briggs wrote:

I would think you should get a working trans AND the bell housing to go with it for about $400 tops. It is nothing special. I got mine shipped from an AZ junkyard to Indiana for $200 off FleaBay including shipping! I'm not rubbing it in your face but I'm thinking $600 for just a used truck tranny is a bit high. Maybe they will negotiate?

Also look for Honda Passport 1998-2002 with the 2.2L 4cyl. It was the same vehicle with a different name.

Oh ok. I'm looking at mustang T5 trans. Those seem to go for a bit steep. The the Honda Passport and the rodeo share the same transmission?

PostPosted: February 18, 2015, 9:01 am 

Yes. The Isuzu Rodeo/ Amigo/ Honda Passport WITH the 4CLY 2.2 GM engine uses the 5 speed Borg Warner T-5R World Class (WC) transmission. You should be able to get one with the correct bell housing included for under $400.

Link to my build log:

PostPosted: May 27, 2015, 8:29 am 

locofinn wrote:
Yes. The Isuzu Rodeo/ Amigo/ Honda Passport WITH the 4CLY 2.2 GM engine uses the 5 speed Borg Warner T-5R World Class (WC) transmission. You should be able to get one with the correct bell housing included for under $400.

Thanks for the info on this. That should save me some $$.

Another issue I'm having is finding a complete engine. I've found plenty of long blocks with no turbo or no accessories. Who did you buy yours from? I'd really like to use the sonic gauge cluster. It's small and all digital. If I could grab one with the engine, harness, cluster, and the dash harness that would be awesome. No luck so far.

PostPosted: July 7, 2016, 7:57 pm 

First post bringing back from dead,

So IF I buy a wrecked Cruze, what do I need to take off the car? (I have done a DBW LS V8 swap for a customer and needed to take a module as well as the gas pedal.)

Is also taking the fuel system beneficial?

PostPosted: July 28, 2016, 5:49 pm 

Has anyone figured out a clutch/pressure plate combo that is off the shelf? I was figuring for a mustang T-5 a 4-cylinder mustang clutch disc with a cruze pressure plate (and flywheel) may work. The mustang clutch disc is 8.5" (and 10-spline & 1 1/16" input shaft) and the cruze clutch disc (and pressure plate) is 8 15/32.

PostPosted: August 13, 2016, 8:10 pm 

locofinn wrote:
Briggs wrote:
Whats the measurement between the bottom of the oil pan and the bottom of the bell housing?

Also, what clutch and flywheel combo are you using? I assume you are using a sonic or a cruze flywheel and a mustang clutch?

I had these measurements in earlier post of this thread. Centerline of crank output to bottom of pan is 7.5" - centerline of crank output to bottom of tranny bell housing is 6.5" = 1" difference

The stock clutch and flywheel is a dual mass unit that will not hold up to the increased power we will get out of these engines. I would strongly suggest you go with a single mass lightweight flywheel. Major benefits on small turbo motor allowing the engine to rev faster and subsequently spool up the turbo. This is a big improvement for a smaller motor. For the clutch, I would suggest a stage 2 or greater unit which will withstand torque in the 250-300 ft/lbs range and be done with it.

The flywheel I sourced from Clutchmasters. This is a good unit weighing about 11 lbs. I pick one up for $454.20 on-line. It has a replaceable Kevlar insert on the friction surface. It is for a Cruze/Sonic 1.4T.

The clutch will be a custom puck type racing clutch from DXD Racing clutches (a division of South Bend Clutch). http://www.dxdracingclutches.com/ They can make you whatever you need and are quite familiar with off-road applications. If you just buy a Mustang clutch, it won't fit!!! The I guy that I am dealing with is one of my SCCA friends. He builds clutch systems for Continental GT endurance race cars and off-road racers. I dropped off my aluminum flywheel to him this weekend so he can start building up the clutch with the right parts. He just needed to confirm the spline count on the output shaft form the Isuzu Rodeo T-5R tranny. He is also making me a pilot bushing to fit the T-5 to the Cruze crank. The rest of the system is is standard '98 Isuzu Rodeo throwout bearing and slave cylinder that should work just fine. When he finishes my clutch I will let you know the spec and info if you want a similar one also built to your spec. I also heard Kentucky Clutch make good units to spec. Del Long used them in a few of his D-Mod specials.

Ask for Dave at DXD racing clutch. He can build anything for a fair price.
I will add that I had to trim the tranny shaft as there was interference about 5mm too long when fitting into the rear of the cruz crank.

Link to my build log:

PostPosted: August 13, 2016, 8:43 pm 

[quote="kartermdb"]First post bringing back from dead,

So IF I buy a wrecked Cruze, what do I need to take off the car? (I have done a DBW LS V8 swap for a customer and needed to take a module as well as the gas pedal.)

Definitely get the gas pedal (drive by wire) ECM, all the freaking sensors not attached directly to the motor (don't forget the pigtails for your sensors!!!) you can get the overflow coolant system and coolant connections to the engine too. Modern engines have a LOT of special connectors for the hoses and it is easier to transition the hoses somewhere in the hose lengths than at the engine connection point. Get a complete engine harness and you can then strip it down to just what you need ( I had my harness stripped down for a stand alone engine application by Enginewiring.com in Erie, PA. They will do what you want like giving you extra length for sensor leads for your car all for about $200. Not real Locost but they do a good job and throw in relays for fan, fuel pump, add OBDII port and label everything for you. You can do it yourself with enough time.

Also I'm having a custom tune by Jerry at BNR (Bad News Racing) http://store.badnewsracing.net/BNR-Tune ... p_293.html . I understand he is THE MAN to work through all the issues for a stand alone tune. You can follow by build log for my progress. I hope to have it running by mid Sept.

Link to my build log:

PostPosted: August 15, 2016, 12:55 pm 

Update. I forgot to mention the true stand alone tune now costs $850.00. but that gets you unlimited support and retunes.

Link to my build log:

PostPosted: October 15, 2017, 12:30 pm 

Fired it up for the first time last night. Everything looks good so far. Hope to be on the track yet this fall to start the sort process.

Link to my build log:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next