LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 5:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 10, 2008, 1:50 am 

horizenjob wrote:
SportsCarDesigner - Clearly you forgot the wrist pins!

Geez, for a day I thought we made some progress. Those numbers are so light - I'm just confused again.

I went downstairs and grabbed a connecting rod/piston from my old FF engine. It weighs 2.75 lbs on my kitchen scale, probably pretty accurate ( actualy 2 lbs, 11 and 3/4 ounces )

This is for a 1600 cc motor, so the rods for that Ford 302 sound very light. I think the rods in the xflow motor are well regarded...

Sigh... I'm afraid the brain hurting stage of this Locost build is going to take a lot longer then I thought.

I used aftermarket weights... not that much different though.

Wiseco Honda B18 pistons 275g x 4 = 1100g = 2.42 lbs
K1 (Carillo's budget div.) rods 500g x 4 = 2000g = 4.4 lbs

Ross Ford 302 pistons 480g x 8 = 8.5 lbs
Crower Ford Sportsman rods 560g x 8 = 10 lbs

I did get the Ford pistons wrong... multiplied by 4 instead of 8... so I was off by 4 lbs ... I've corrected the post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 15, 2008, 7:50 am 

World products aluminum small block chevy, pn1010219, herehttp://www.worldcastings.com/catalog/38revised.pdf, weighs 475 lbs. 625HP!

and i just got done weighing a porsche getrag 6 speed transaxle, used in 986 boxter s in mid engine config, and 996 carrera, carrera 4(awd) in rear engine config. 150lbs. 26" Long, 10" from axle flange to axle flage(wide), about 15" wide including cable shift bracket, about 12" high in gear box area, and about 18" from top of bell housing to bottom of differential. around 5k reman direct from porsche, probly less from wrecked car. Nice cable shift boxes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 19, 2008, 6:16 am 

Mazda KLZE 2.5L V6 DOHC 199 hp

From kiwi_MX3 on mx-3.com:

K8 KLZE Weights Actual Figures!
Sorry for the delay everyone, New Years and work got in the way....

Motors have been weighted with oil and exhaust manifolds, But
No water,no flywheel, no Inlet manifold assy, no Auxiliary parts i.e.
A/c pump, P/s pump, tensioner brackets

K8 = 123kgs
KLZE = 126kgs

Alternator = 5kgs
P/S Pump Assy = 3kgs
A/C Pump = 6.5kgs
Tensioner Bracket Assy = 1kgs
Inlet mainafold and throttle body = 15kgs.

Hope this solves a lot of the misconceptions

Sooo... without the Cadillac accesories the KLZE is 312 lbs. minus flywheel. Typical weight of an inline four, not a (i.e. Stalker GM) V6 weight.

Note: The K8 is the 1.8L version (130 or 144 hp) that came in the USA MX-3. The KLZE (199 hp) is a Japanese market engine that various importers sell.

You could build a locost with the K8 very cheap... quick and easy to switch it for a KLZE when finances allow. Also available is the KLDE ('93-'97 Ford

Probe GT 2.5L) at 164 or 170 hp.

An SAE intro paper: http://www.mazdamaniac.com/tech/SAE_20920677.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 16, 2008, 7:50 am 

Yamaha/Ford SHO 3.4L DOHC V8
1996-1999 Ford Taurus

235 HP

For something unique, a little 60 degree Vee angle V8

Cam debacle: swaged on cam gears come loose, valves tag pistons, chaos ensues. Lawsuits, etc... research and know preventative fixes (welding or pinning) know what you're getting into.

Automatic trans only, transverse... but same bellhousing pattern as SHO V6 (and other V6 Fords?)... lots of strikes but could be a light compact engine for someone who really wants a DOHC V8.

From www.V8SHO.com
Thanks to James W. Gibat-Thoroski

Upper Intake : 17 pounds
Lower Intake : 5 pounds
Fuel Rail w/ Injectors : 2 pounds
A/C compressor : 11 pounds
P/S pump : 3 pounds
P/S pump bracket : < 1 pound
IMRC : 12 pounds
Water pump assembly complete : 13 pounds
Complete wiring : 15 pounds
Alternator Bracket : 7 pounds.
Exhaust manifolds : 11 pounds each. (22)
Heat shields : 1 pound for both
Complete Aluminum Head : 48 pounds each (96)
Valve Cover : 5 pounds each (10)
Short Block : 175 pounds

TOTAL : 374 pounds

Might be able to knock off the P/S pump, A/C compressor, IMRC(?), and some exhaust weight.

Volvo (Ford) has new Yamaha DOHC 60° V8 that is 4.4L 311 HP... they claim it's not related (some say it is, but they don't want it connected to the cam gear problem). Twin turbo version of the Volvo/Yamaha to be used in the Noble M600 (600 HP?... the M400 V6 tt was 425 HP...).

Then there's the Yamaha DOHC 60° V8 F350 5.3L (350 HP), but it might be hard to adapt the prop to your driveshaft... and it weighs in at 804 lbs. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 16, 2008, 12:11 pm 
One of the quickest cars I remember was a sports racer from 63 that was a slightly oversize go cart with a 50 horse merc chain driven to each rear wheel. This was when the sting ray first came out and Mickey Tompson had a modified split window this little car could pass MT anywhere on the track.I believe it took him 5 laps to lap MT.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 16, 2008, 12:53 pm 
The voice of reason

I am curious about adapting outboards. One advantage would be they should be very strong, since they spend much more time under heavy load. I have seen cautions in the performance catalogs that say automotive blocks are not suitable for performance use in boats because they aren't strong enough.

Outboards should also be designed to be light weight. Thiis one weighs a lot!
I wonder what the bare engines in 100-150 range weigh...

Now adays you have Megasquirt and others, so maybe it's easier to do...

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 16, 2008, 1:01 pm 

horizenjob wrote:
I am curious about adapting outboards. One advantage would be they should be very strong, since they spend much more time under heavy load. I have seen cautions in the performance catalogs that say automotive blocks are not suitable for performance use in boats because they aren't strong enough.

Outboards should also be designed to be light weight. Thiis one weighs a lot!
I wonder what the bare engines in 100-150 range weigh...

Now adays you have Megasquirt and others, so maybe it's easier to do...

My 140 HP two sroke Johnson V4 probably wieghs about 350-500, but a lot of that is the lower unit and trim assy. That thing would be a hoot in a car. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 11, 2008, 9:59 pm 

Back in the 70's a marine dealer in Phoenix put an Evinrude on the back of an offroad race car. It was a V-4 and the cylinders pointed down. It would do about 11,000 rpms so they only used 2 and 3rd gear in the VW Bus transaxle. It broke down a lot but sounded like a ski boat going around the track. What a Hoot!

I don't know how, but I would really like to use the Yamaha 3.2 that Ford put in the 93-95 Taurus SHO's. I have that engine in my off road car (hence my screen name) and started with it stock first. It ran right with the turbo'd 300hp Subi's but it had only 220 hp. It was able to keep up because of its unique dual intake system that opened another set of runners at 3950 rpms, giving you a lot of real estate under the torque curve.

I adapted a Roots supercharger from an old T-Bird to it in 2003 and did a lot of whoop-ass on big LS1 powered buggies. YouTube videos of a lot of those races can be viewed by searching for "SHO Offroad".

I now have converted her to a turbo but am starting to regret the choice. Just way too much power and and too high in the rpm band; not a good combo for duning purposes. I did take her (the graphics on the side say "The Other Woman") to the dragstrip a couple of times though. With the blower did a 12.48 @110. With the turbo and not being able to shift from 1st to 2nd due to a worn out pivot point, I still did a 12.46 at 110. Which is waaaay too fast for a dune buggy BTW.

I have some videos and pics at http://www.fiberspec.com/DooleyMotorSports/

Click on the Movies link and then the feb 04 dune trip; wait for the little symbols to turn into black squares and then roll your cursor over the square to start the video. These are all using the supercharger.

And I love the look of the engine also.

Tom

My short term memory is absolutely horrible and so is my short term memory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG16m2e4O6I

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 12, 2008, 12:10 pm 
Change the turbos to a couple of smaller ones such as the ones off 88 TCoupe with auto they were tiny. They should move power down the band but possibly choke off the high RPM.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 11, 2008, 10:44 pm 

Here is a picture with dimensions of the Camaro rear end I am using. Hope it helps.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Donor info database
PostPosted: March 9, 2009, 11:07 pm 

I hope this is the right place.
I went to the shop yesterday armed with my bathroom scale and got this:
5 speed transmission as fitted to 1995 Mustang 40 Kg
Live Axle, no brackets, discs or calipers 65 kg
No motor yet, The chassis weighs so far 79 kg, still 9-10 kg to go in the form of bracketry.
This may be locost but it will not be lightweight

Forgot to add, 1991 IRS Diff (pumpkin only) 40 kg+ -

Last edited by chanoquin on March 10, 2009, 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: March 10, 2009, 12:59 pm 

I just got around to weighing the Nissan 240SX rear end. The center section weighs in at 72 lbs. This is not including the axles.

PostPosted: March 10, 2009, 3:12 pm 

Mazda 12a rotary.

380lbs

Literally Ready to run with trans, stock flywheel, coils, stock carb, homemade header.
Will Add dimensions of Drivetrain soon.

This is on bathroom scales though.. but they read my weight correctly.

Daniel

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: October 15, 2009, 6:44 pm 

SportsCarDesigner wrote:

Automatic trans only, transverse... but same bellhousing pattern as SHO V6 (and other V6 Fords?)... lots of strikes but could be a light compact engine for someone who really wants a DOHC V8.

This is incorrect. The SHO 3.4 V8 shares a bellhousing pattern with Ford's 2.5 and FWD 3.0 Duratec engines, NOT with the earlier SHO 3.0 and 3.2 engines. The SHO 3.0 and 3.2 shared a bellhousing pattern with the Vulcan 3.0 engine. Sources: SHOforum and Wikipedia.

The 3.0 Duratec was available in RWD configuration in the Lincoln LS and Jaguar S-Type which came with a Getrag 221. There are murmurings on the internet about the bellhousing pattern of the RWD Duratec 3.0 and Jaguar's Duratecs being different than Ford's but I haven't found solid confirmation either way. Sources: Contour forum and Mustang forum

A little more reading.

PostPosted: August 24, 2018, 8:37 pm 

Does anyone have any luck with the initial links? I didn't get page loads but not 404 errors either

I'm looking to replace my 1.8 Miata setup for my ecotec repowering. I don't think the Miata diff could handle the power.

Currently thinking maybe a Subaru rear because of its smaller footprint?