LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 16, 2024, 12:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: March 9, 2008, 10:22 am 

We've currently got a Dodge 5.9 Magnum V8 at Painless Wiring. They're using it as a mule to build a retrofit EFI system to drop them into older cars.
The kicker is that in exchange for allowing them to use our motor, they're giving us the pilot system free!
This is the same motor that Mopar offered as a 300 hp crate motor. All the internals are identical. Since Painless will be building their dyno tune, we can expect similar numbers.
We only paid $400 for the motor.

This one is scheduled to go into a '65 Dodge Coronet convertible but it's the same thing I want to put in the W196 clone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 15, 2008, 11:24 am 

any info on getting a higher rpm on teh lsx cars?

6500 just seems too low for a locost.

im still deciding what to go with (planning stages.)

either a duratech (mazda 3) 2.3L (middy), S2000 motor (FR), or lsx (FR)

Im a big guy (330lbs) so the final car weight only has to be < 2000 lbs, i want acceleration and handling. (going to autox and dd it during the summer).

I do plan on not following the general Locost body. (hoping to look more like a lmp1/lmp2 prototype car. (yeah lots of fiberglass work, but thats what the winter up here is for!.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 15, 2008, 12:18 pm 

I don't see why you need higher RPM from your LS motor just because it's in a locost. It's a pushrod V8 made to pull stumps not sing like a four banger.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 15, 2008, 12:53 pm 

good point.
I really need to find someone in teh local area (wooster, ohio)
with a 442 b/c i think i may have to go past that to fit in the car...
but alas that is for another thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 15, 2008, 1:04 pm 

If an engine makes great power from 1500 to 6500 RPM you want to make it peakier??????

One of the great things about big, torquey motors is that you rarely have to shift - freeing up attention for staying out of the gravel pit!

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 14, 2008, 12:29 am 

Straight four wrote:
(going to autox and dd it during the summer).

If you want a competitive autox car, pick your class first - D mod or E mod.

In my opinion, you can't really use any more than 250 hp in autox. focus on lightness, low center of gravity, weight distribution.

Here is a graph I did from a autox run last year. This is with 305 R compound tires (although pretty worn):

As you can see, I spent most of the time well below half throttle.

Open track would be a different story. I can start to put all of it down at above 70 MPH.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 14, 2008, 12:42 am 

Straight four wrote:
6500 just seems too low for a locost.

you can bump an LS to 7000 with upgrades to valvetrain... stiffer springs, upgraded rocker arms. you'll need head and cam work to make power up there. BUT, think about the performance in terms of dynamic range.

These engines have a really flat torque curve. from 1800 to 6000 rpm, they are within 90% of maximum torque. 6000/1800 is a 3.3:1 ratio

By comparison, the mighty s2000 motor looks like this

revs to the heavens, but in terms of usable dynamic range, i'd say you really want to stay between 6K and 9k... 9/6 or 1.5... Get caught at below 6K on the track, and you get blown away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 14, 2008, 2:40 am 

If you're looking for revs purely for the sound, you could always fab up an ITB system. It'll sound(and look) great then!

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 14, 2008, 11:18 am 

JSullivan wrote:
If you're looking for revs purely for the sound, you could always fab up an ITB system. It'll sound(and look) great then!

like this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 31, 2008, 12:46 am 

I'm curious about the 3.4 sho v8, are there any rwd trannies that bolt up? That is a beautiful engine. I think it has the same bolt pattern as the 2.5 duratec if that helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 31, 2008, 11:33 am 

Killer,

It's the same block as the 3.0 Duratec. The 3.4 SHO V-8 would sound bada$$ with headers. Pretty rare to find one in a junkyard that doesn't have piston and valve damage from their dreaded cam sprocket walk problem.

I want to use the 3.0 or 3.2 V-6 SHO motor in a Brunton Stalker sized car. I used one in my Off road car and put a blower on it for a couple of years and just changed it to a turbo. It screams at 6 psi.

I have some videos of her ( the side panels say " The Other Woman") at the outlaw sand drags in Souther California on you-tube, keywords: offroad Yamaha dusting

Tom[/img]

My short term memory is absolutely horrible and so is my short term memory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG16m2e4O6I

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 3, 2008, 6:39 pm 

So I take it no one's ever actually used a Lexus 1UZ V8? This seems like an ideal V8 choice for a Locost for a few reasons. It's lightweight at only 390lbs fully-dressed. It's cheap at only around $700. It's somewhat compact at essentially 27in square(L/H/W). And it's impossibly smooth and with valvetrain upgrades has been revved to over 10K RPM. There's a decently large aftermarket with ITB kits, cams, turbo kits, etc.

There are also several companies making either adapter plates or custom bellhousings to connect it to any number of manual transmissions. One of those companies sells a kit with bellhousing, flywheel, and refurbished stock clutch(I believe from an MR2 turbo or Celica) for $750. Add to that ~$200 for a W58 5 speed, and you're sitting at well less than $2000 total for an engine/tranny combo that weighs less than 460lbs and makes at least 260hp and 260lb-ft of torque from the factory. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

A dream car using the 1UZ for me would be a mid-engine single seater with design inspired by the 1960s formula cars, such as the Brabham BT24 and Lotus 49. You could mount it to a renault or Porsche transaxle, and for aesthetic purposes, bundle-of-snakes exhaust manifolds on both sides, along with ITBs on top would be gorgeous and fit the desired 60s F1 look. I'm thinking sub-1200lbs with over 300hp sounds pretty tempting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 3, 2008, 9:42 pm 

LS240 wrote:

A dream car using the 1UZ for me would be a mid-engine single seater with design inspired by the 1960s formula cars, such as the Brabham BT24 and Lotus 49. You could mount it to a renault or Porsche transaxle, and for aesthetic purposes, bundle-of-snakes exhaust manifolds on both sides, along with ITBs on top would be gorgeous and fit the desired 60s F1 look. I'm thinking sub-1200lbs with over 300hp sounds pretty tempting.

How about a BT21? 8) 8) http://home.earthlink.net/~earleymotorsports/id4.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 4, 2008, 5:56 pm 

LS240 wrote:
So I take it no one's ever actually used a Lexus 1UZ V8? This seems like an ideal V8 choice for a Locost for a few reasons. It's lightweight at only 390lbs fully-dressed. It's cheap at only around $700. It's somewhat compact at essentially 27in square(L/H/W). And it's impossibly smooth and with valvetrain upgrades has been revved to over 10K RPM. There's a decently large aftermarket with ITB kits, cams, turbo kits, etc.

There are also several companies making either adapter plates or custom bellhousings to connect it to any number of manual transmissions. One of those companies sells a kit with bellhousing, flywheel, and refurbished stock clutch(I believe from an MR2 turbo or Celica) for $750. Add to that ~$200 for a W58 5 speed, and you're sitting at well less than $2000 total for an engine/tranny combo that weighs less than 460lbs and makes at least 260hp and 260lb-ft of torque from the factory. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

do a search on the forum for 1uz....check out my posts on it. I'm BIG on doing this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 5, 2008, 4:53 am 

Lotus19 wrote:

Ya like that. But with a V8 and street-legal. :P I wish that site listed weight.

Fourthmeal I'll check out your posts.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next