LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 4, 2024, 9:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Solid rear axle
PostPosted: June 5, 2015, 2:08 pm 

You had it right, Marcus! Mr. Hempy's car is a Miata 442 with the rear Sub-frame incorporated in the design.

Here you go, HarrySingh. - viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2741

Lots of good stuff there!

PostPosted: June 5, 2015, 2:17 pm 

Thanks guys i'll probably just incorporate the full rear subframe since it shouldn't be that tough to just bolt in. Since it will be a street/track car i'm thinking a rear ride height of about 5 - 6 inches from frame to ground. Is it best to have lower control arm parallel in the rear too when the subframe is bolted in?

PostPosted: June 7, 2015, 9:20 pm 

I am building a Haynes chassis with a solid rear end instead of the specified Miata IRS.

Some notes on the S10 7.5" 2 wheel drive axle:

1. The S10 2 wheel drive is 54.25" between wheel mounting surfaces, and 49.875" between backing plate flanges. It fits very nicely into the Haynes +221 chassis. The Brunton Stalker people used the S10 and I have learned that Mr. Brunton was a pretty bright guy.

2. If you want an S10 rear with Posi and disk brakes, you're gonna look a long time and probably not find one, and if you do you will probably not like the price. Most are open diffs. Rear disks weren't all that common -- I think that rear disks were on the 98+ Blazer or something.

I ended up with a 3.42 non-posi with drum brakes for $50. I installed my own Posi, and now I'm looking at some sort of rear disk conversion kit (there are, or were, aluminum drums for those axles but they are rare I think?). So, yeah, $500 or something if not more before I'm done.

3. "Somewhere around 94' or 95' the 28 spline was used across the board." The earlier axles were 26 splined units. Might as well just get the stronger unit.

4. There are lots of different rear gear ratios -- 2.73 to 4.10 I hear. I assume that you'll want the 4.10 if you're running a 4 cylinder engine, but from what I understand none of those were made with Posi (they were all 4 cylinder S10's?). And of course, like the T5 transmissions from the S10's, the 4.10 rear ends were kinda snapped up by Camaro guys who thought that these would work well behind their V8 motors in 3600 pound vehicles.

5. I think I paid $250 or something for a custom, lifetime warranty beautiful drive shaft. Send off a couple of measurements along with the yokes from the trans and diff ends, and just waited. Carolina Drive Shaft.

6. The input shaft on the S10 is offset towards the passenger side by 3/4" in order to make more room for the driver. Just remember that when you start building the tunnel.

HAVING SAID THAT:

I would probably go with the IRS setup if I was to do this again. The carrier hubs look tough to make -- perhaps they are -- but yeah it might be worth it? Consider:

1. You don't save much, if any, money with the S10.

2. People who have built both say that there is no comparison, the IRS rides and handles better.

3. Since the drive shaft on an IRS barely moves, you can minimize the height of the trans tunnel.

Louisville, KY
Hayes front, S10 +2 rear, Lalo body.

PostPosted: June 7, 2015, 9:52 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

geek49203 wrote:
... People who have built both say that there is no comparison, the IRS rides and handles better...

While people argue about the handling part, I can vouch that the IRS absolutely rides better, and that's really important for something that spends 99% of its time on the street. The difference between my brother's front engine/straight rear axle car and my mid-engine IRS is striking (granted I have the added advantage of the rear-mounted drivetrain further improving the sprung-to-unsprung weight ratio), and a night and day difference in ride. That said, you can offset it some by using the lightest wheels and tires you can find.

PostPosted: June 7, 2015, 9:58 pm 

Quote:
2. If you want an S10 rear with Posi and disk brakes, you're gonna look a long time and probably not find one, and if you do you will probably not like the price. Most are open diffs. Rear disks weren't all that common -- I think that rear disks were on the 98+ Blazer or something.
I'm not sure about the size, I have a 2000 Jimmy with rear disks. Unfortunately, it is not limited slip. My Local LKQ always has a few Jimmy/Blazer/Bravada's and shows a list price of $75 +25 core WMS to WMS. So not that difficult to find as an open diff. You might get lucky and find one with limited slip. Craigslist is always showing someone parting out a Blazer.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: June 7, 2015, 11:47 pm 

It just makes me laugh then people say you have to have IRS to get a good ride. Peek under a Cadillac Escalade or Lincoln Town Car, then take one for a ride, then say wow that ride sucks:) It's the shock and springs that give you the ride quality.

Graham

PostPosted: June 8, 2015, 8:28 am 

Graham, While springs and shocks are important , unsprung weight has a lot to do with it also. Plus, the independent suspension allows one wheel to react without directly moving another. This is why we don't have single beam front axles anymore.

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: June 8, 2015, 9:21 am 
Mid-Engined Maniac

FastG wrote:
It just makes me laugh then people say you have to have IRS to get a good ride. Peek under a Cadillac Escalade or Lincoln Town Car, then take one for a ride, then say wow that ride sucks:) It's the shock and springs that give you the ride quality.

Graham

If we were playing cards, you just showed what you've got. Read up on what the sprung-to-unsprung weight ratio is to better understand what's being discussed before laughing at anyone.

PostPosted: June 8, 2015, 1:19 pm 

The vehicle weight to the axle weight makes a huge difference as well. In a heavy truck with soft springs, the solid axle is not very noticeable. In a 1500lb car with stiff springs, the 200lb solid axle is a lot of mass to be crashing around over bumps.
That being said, I opted for solid axle (Ford 7.5" w/ LSD) because: simpler, stronger, anti-squat, better traction on smooth surfaces.... and it was free :mrgreen:
Cheers.

PostPosted: June 8, 2015, 1:46 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

C10CoryM wrote:
The vehicle weight to the axle weight makes a huge difference as well. In a heavy truck with soft springs, the solid axle is not very noticeable. In a 1500lb car with stiff springs, the 200lb solid axle is a lot of mass to be crashing around over bumps.
Cheers.

It's actually worse than that because the 200 lb unsprung axle/wheel/tire assembly is acting upon half the total Locost weight, assuming 50/50 weight distribution.

PostPosted: June 8, 2015, 4:09 pm 

This is a good example, Harry, of the whole Locost process. There are many trade-offs to be made, and sometimes it comes down to which ones are more important to you as an individual, your fabricating skills or to your budget. I converted an IRS design (the Haynes Roadster) to a solid rear axle because: 1) a Ford 7.5" came with my donor; 2) its mechanical simplicity versus an IRS; 3) it's relatively inexpensive to equip with aftermarket parts like different gear ratios and limited slip.

It is a big part to have banging around in back, but A) I think my car is going to go like stink anyway, so who cares; B) I usually drive on very smooth roads; and C) I really don't care that much about discomfort over an occasional bump or two. That was my personal "rear end calculus." If I end up being unhappy with my decision and can't live with it, that's a perfectly good excuse to design and build a new chassis, lifting all my other bits and pieces off my current build. :mrgreen:

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: June 8, 2015, 8:56 pm 

KB58 wrote:
C10CoryM wrote:
Cheers.

It's actually worse than that because the 200 lb unsprung axle/wheel/tire assembly is acting upon half the total Locost weight, assuming 50/50 weight distribution.

Maybe I'm being pedantic, but it can't be "worse" as both vehicles have weight on their front axles. Besides, the truck's rear sprung-to-unsprung weight could even be worse with an empty bed, and a heavier axle. :mrgreen: I've owned trucks that were pretty bad that way (no soft springs though).

PostPosted: June 10, 2015, 12:28 am 

rx7locost wrote:
Quote:
I'm not sure about the size, I have a 2000 Jimmy with rear disks. Unfortunately, it is not limited slip. My Local LKQ always has a few Jimmy/Blazer/Bravada's and shows a list price of $75 +25 core WMS to WMS. So not that difficult to find as an open diff. You might get lucky and find one with limited slip. Craigslist is always showing someone parting out a Blazer.

Is your Jimmy a 4x4? If so the rear end is 3-4" wider, and yeah, lots of those had disk brakes. I think that every S10 person who slipped a V8 into the motor bay looked for a LSD and disks. I know that the Stalker guys told me that they bought disk conversion kits, as I recall. Not sure how the fared finding that G80 LSD in that axle?

Louisville, KY
Hayes front, S10 +2 rear, Lalo body.

PostPosted: June 10, 2015, 8:45 am 

Only about 3% of the all 2WD S-10's have a LSD, that use the narrow axle.
If you are searching for 2x4 axles, to get at a pick and pull, look for the S-10 with the SS option. They all had LSD. Dave W

PostPosted: June 10, 2015, 8:54 am 

Quote:
Is your Jimmy a 4x4? If so the rear end is 3-4" wider, and yeah, lots of those had disk brakes.

Nope, just a lowly 2000 RWD. According to Cars.com, By 1998, all versions of Blazers had disk brakes on all 4 corners as std equip.