LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 5:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: August 17, 2016, 5:02 pm 

kreb wrote:
Someone on this board has successfully built a front-engined aircooled VW Locost. If you haven't already I recommend you find and read his thread.

Reverse rotation?

Yes I know but I have not found him. I saw his build at the chassis stage on the Corvair forum; was he ever on this forum?.

Rotation of the engine. I believe I was wrong in a previous statement. Along with a few engines, Honda and citroen among them, the Corvair seems to rotate CCW when you look at the crank pulley (front). To bolt it to a normal transmission (front engine, transmission, dif in the rear axle) I will have to change the rotation, Since I am going to rebuild this engine this is not much of an issue. Parts are about $400 at Clark's Corvairs.

PostPosted: August 17, 2016, 5:30 pm 

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=13200

PostPosted: August 17, 2016, 6:46 pm 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
Yes I know but I have not found him.

Hi Phil-Actually, yes you have... His name is Chris and he posted a couple of pictures a page or two upstream. Oh... Yeah... Now I see that Kreb already gave you the link... Sorry...
:cheers:
JD

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: August 18, 2016, 10:39 pm 

kreb wrote:
RE: electric fans. Nobody has done it successfully to my knowledge. To cool one of these babies requires a ton of airflow. But that's assuming that the motor is in back where ram air isn't a factor. I'd really like to see a thermostatically-controlled electric setup in combination with ram-air. I think that it'd work and be very cool while removing the unreliability, clutter and parasitic loss of a belt-drive.

I'm actually getting kind of excited about this one. Has anybody brought up the reverse-rotation issue?

Rotation issue...Yes and at first I did not know for sure what it was. Now I think I have a clearer picture. For some reasons (still obscure to me) GM made the Corvair engine turn CCW seen from the front or the crank pulley. When the time came to swap engines folks had to change the cam and the distributor gear , play with the starter ( total about 450$). And reverse the rotation to the common CW. In my case I was planning to tear down the engine and rebuild it , my way. So all I will have to do is buy the stuff from Clark's Corvair among other goodies that I will need to make this engine roar.
I will keep posting about my findings as I go. This is what I did here 10 years ago during my very first build. It will be great to be able to share ideas with you if you are interested in the Corvair engine. I think that this is an interesting engine that could have had a great future. But GM chickened out or dropped the gun as they did recently with the electric car.

PostPosted: August 18, 2016, 10:48 pm 

Phil, one possibility would be to use a transaxle from a V-Dub or a rear (not mid) engine Porsche. VW and Corvair engines spin in opposite directions, so if you hook the Vair to the V-Dub axle and turn it around so the engine is in front everything should be cool. Work up a clutch and driveshaft arrangement, and you're good to go!

PostPosted: August 18, 2016, 10:58 pm 

Last time I was there they had a Pontiac Tempest at the Carson City Nevada Pick N Pull.
The guy that built the Corvair powered T-Bucket used one in his build.

PostPosted: August 18, 2016, 11:12 pm 

RichardSIA wrote:
Last time I was there they had a Pontiac Tempest at the Carson City Nevada Pick N Pull.
The guy that built the Corvair powered T-Bucket used one in his build.

I had a look at this red Tbucket. The thing is most impressive. I think the guy has a supercharger on it..... I am drooling but I am sane enough to know that I am not in his league.

PostPosted: August 19, 2016, 5:59 pm 

cwhite wrote:
Yep,
Attachment:
IMG_1910.GIF

Attachment:
0825091657%20-%20Copy.GIF

I did not use the corvair transaxle but the 924/944 setup. One big advantage of the torque tube is the width in the pedal box area.

Hi again,
I am interested in what you have done with the VW.
Could you give me a few details about the direct power shaft/tube that you have set up. I am contemplating to send 5000+ rpms from front to back. in other words to setup the tranny with the transaxle and the engine upfront. Could you please tell me about the power shaft. Thanks.

PostPosted: August 20, 2016, 11:27 am 

RichardSIA wrote:
In thinking this over it seems you ought to be able to set up a gated duct system.
Electric fan for low speed and ducting for higher speeds.
With a thermal switch the fan might not be needed at higher speed so easier on the charging system and fan life.
Just a thought.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewto ... ?p=3833213 :cheers:

PostPosted: August 22, 2016, 2:14 pm 

Quote:
Hi again,
I am interested in what you have done with the VW.
Could you give me a few details about the direct power shaft/tube that you have set up. I am contemplating to send 5000+ rpms from front to back. in other words to setup the tranny with the transaxle and the engine upfront. Could you please tell me about the power shaft. Thanks.

The engine is a type one.
The bell housing is from a VW bus
A custom plate made of 1" aluminum connects the bell housing to the torque tube.
The torque tube and transaxle is a Porsche 924/944 family of cars. the only modification to the torque tube/transaxle was shorting the shifting rod to mount it in a more 7 friendly manner.

My rev limiter is set to 7800 rpms. A little higher then the stock Porsche speeds to spin the shaft but so far no issues.

ND Club Miata
Nissan Titan Sold
Rubi Wrangler
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=13200

PostPosted: August 22, 2016, 3:34 pm 

7800 rpms from a type 1?! I don't know much about air-cooled VWs, but I thought those sort of reliable RPMs was a pricey proposition. Damn!

PostPosted: August 23, 2016, 6:14 am 

kreb wrote:
7800 rpms from a type 1?! I don't know much about air-cooled VWs, but I thought those sort of reliable RPMs was a pricey proposition. Damn!

Not one VW part left in that motor :lol: Built and balanced with all good parts. I believe I'll crack into the 5's to 60 with a little more motor tuning. Currently 5.5 is the best on damp roads.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ND Club Miata
Nissan Titan Sold
Rubi Wrangler
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=13200

PostPosted: October 22, 2016, 8:39 am 

phil wrote:
the Corvair seems to rotate CCW when you look at the crank pulley (front).

SAE standard for engine rotation is "from the viewpoint of the driver." The Corvair would be standard rotation by that standard, except the power takeoff is at the front instead of the back.

I don't remember the spec for transverse engines.

PostPosted: October 22, 2016, 10:44 am 

Just a reminder!

ngpmike wrote:
Phil, one possibility would be to use a transaxle from a V-Dub or a rear (not mid) engine Porsche. VW and Corvair engines spin in opposite directions, so if you hook the Vair to the V-Dub axle and turn it around so the engine is in front everything should be cool. Work up a clutch and driveshaft arrangement, and you're good to go!

PostPosted: October 22, 2016, 11:10 pm 

6 electronic injectors and 2 turbochargers.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next