LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 25, 2024, 3:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: March 4, 2017, 12:32 pm 

Any progress on this? Phil where in Ontario are you? Im past president of Corsa Ontario (Corvair club of Ontario) and can contribute some info for your project and put you in touch with several local engine builders that get a reliable 150hp out of a Corvair engine. Best set up so far is a blow through turbo system. Anything over 150 does not live long.
You do need a mechanical fan. No exception. The only guys who have done away with it are experimental plane builders. They have the airflow to skip it. A Porsche 911 fan can be substituted. I raced a 67 140hp engine corvair with a cutdown fan and had so much detonation when the head temps hit 400 degrees it was undriveable.

I switched to a Locost for auto cross because the corvairs 108" wheel base couldnt compete with Miatas. I was hoping to use several corvair parts on on my locost such as spindles but only ended up using one, the steering column.

PostPosted: March 5, 2017, 6:19 pm 

alkidd wrote:
Any progress on this? Phil where in Ontario are you? Im past president of Corsa Ontario (Corvair club of Ontario) and can contribute some info for your project and put you in touch with several local engine builders that get a reliable 150hp out of a Corvair engine. Best set up so far is a blow through turbo system. Anything over 150 does not live long.
You do need a mechanical fan. No exception. The only guys who have done away with it are experimental plane builders. They have the airflow to skip it. A Porsche 911 fan can be substituted. I raced a 67 140hp engine corvair with a cutdown fan and had so much detonation when the head temps hit 400 degrees it was undriveable.

I switched to a Locost for auto cross because the corvairs 108" wheel base couldnt compete with Miatas. I was hoping to use several corvair parts on on my locost such as spindles but only ended up using one, the steering column.

I am in Napanee, 30 K west of Kingston, Thanks for chiming in and for offering your guidance. I should have posted more since my Summer announcement.. I have been waiting for something substantial to show and I am not there yet.
My 1965 corvair was taken to pieces last Fall, which was a way to learn about this vehicle and I am glad I have done it. I have taken my engine (110 hp) apart, magnafluxed the crank, rebuilt the heads, bought many new parts including a performance cam from Clark's and transmission from California Corvairs. I am aware of the flat six limitations with respect to cooling.... I have read probably all I could humanly read on the subject and I have not make final decisions yet. As things stand now. I am rebuilding the 110 from the ground up. As I said, a performance cam, overbored .060 cylinders; I have added two carburetors, a header. From what I have heard, I believe that this engine will rev around 5500 rpms and probably produce indeed 150 hp. My locost will be launched I think in two years with this engine.

If all goes well however I will complete a second engine....(this is the dream parts of all this). I have acquired a second block, crank and heads from ebay and my hope is to rethink the Corvair engine my way (yes, this does not sound modest). The goal will be 180 hp with a crank driven supercharger, and maybe water cooled heads...and probably many other things.

I will keep you posted now that I know that someone is interested.