LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 12:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: December 21, 2016, 10:01 am 

Its hard to tell in the photo but I'm pretty sure that is Peter Dinklage. If not he may be braking some child labor laws. Just saying...

You can build the most awesome thing in the world but at some point, an 80yr old man in a crx is probably going kick your butt on the track... don't ask me how I know.

PostPosted: December 21, 2016, 2:57 pm 

Here is your mesh at different triangle counts. 10k, 20k, 400k, and and the 4.2 million triangle scan result:

PostPosted: December 21, 2016, 3:48 pm 

how large is that 4mil file if you kick it out to a stp format??

Solidworks got back to me and pretty much said i am SOL. There has got to be a way to dumb down the file without triangulating. If i bring it into my CFD software, it does a thing call wrap which pretty much puts a skin on it but i cannot export that out.

I got a fancy camera too so i may try to take better pics for processing.

You can build the most awesome thing in the world but at some point, an 80yr old man in a crx is probably going kick your butt on the track... don't ask me how I know.

PostPosted: December 21, 2016, 5:13 pm 

Is there a reason you don't want triangular topology? The scans themselves are made up of triangles. There are lots of different ways I can reduce the density of the model, they can be mostly quads if that matters but its never going to be a clean file you can directly turn into surfaces.

The original scan file is an OBJ file at 750mb.

A lower resolution quad mesh. There is no flow to the topology:

PostPosted: December 21, 2016, 7:07 pm 

Because once solidworks brings it ib, it turns into a massive 145mb file and bogs or crashes solidworks. You can forget about making a change to it too.

PostPosted: December 22, 2016, 10:37 am 

@ asmasm,

i shot you a PM on this.

PostPosted: December 22, 2016, 9:02 pm 

Here is your result with the latest photos processed at the highest quality setting. This mesh is 14.6 million triangles (a 1.7gb obj file):

I am running a mesh simplification down to 500k triangles in the scan software. The other reductions were with zbrush so im curious to see how doing the reduction at the point cloud level compared to doing it to the final mesh.

PostPosted: December 23, 2016, 10:37 am 

Yours still turned out better than mine.

This is what i got. 1.3m faces

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: December 23, 2016, 10:48 am 

Here are the crunched down versions. Full 14 million on the left, 500k in the middle, 100k on the right:

PostPosted: December 23, 2016, 10:51 am 

those are still pretty darn good. I wonder what an stl file output size would be....

PostPosted: December 24, 2016, 11:55 am 

Now that we have this figured out as a viable option, who wants to get into building models? I figured out a way to import the 123d make slices into sketchup to make models. In sketchup it is very easy to print patterns on a regular printer.

PostPosted: December 26, 2016, 12:08 pm 

I just picked up some studio lighting equipment for the holidays- 320 watt second flash units. Shooting with flash photography lets me handhold at f/11 which makes scanning about 3x faster and allows me to get better coverage places where the tripod won't reach.

If anyone in my area (durham NC) has engines or transmissions they want scanned let me know. I'm particularly interested in scanning a complete duratec 2.5. I also have lots of scales to weigh engines and parts. One stop shop for data gathering.

PostPosted: December 26, 2016, 12:29 pm 

Darn... I'm across the country

PostPosted: December 28, 2016, 5:15 pm 

Who is going to host scans?

PostPosted: February 1, 2017, 4:54 pm 

asmasm wrote:
I just picked up some studio lighting equipment for the holidays- 320 watt second flash units. Shooting with flash photography lets me handhold at f/11 which makes scanning about 3x faster and allows me to get better coverage places where the tripod won't reach.

If anyone in my area (durham NC) has engines or transmissions they want scanned let me know. I'm particularly interested in scanning a complete duratec 2.5. I also have lots of scales to weigh engines and parts. One stop shop for data gathering.

Im looking for this same info as well. What can i do to help move the process along?

-Grant

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next