LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 1:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Engine sealant
PostPosted: January 26, 2017, 11:39 pm 

I've been reading this and have to say ( I think) Permatex website identifies it as "Permatex® Form-A-Gasket® No. 2 Sealant" I've never heard it called 'black". I have used it as a gasket sealer but never in place of a gasket. For that I use Permatex Ultra Grey. When I hear Permatex Black, I think of only 2 Silicone based products. Not the gooey, non silicone stuff

When I search on Permatex's website for "Black" I get:

Permatex® Black Silicone Adhesive Sealant
Permatex® Ultra Black® Maximum Oil Resistance RTV Silicone Gasket Maker
Permatex® Black Rubber Sealant

I don't see anything with "Black" and "2" in the same product. No wonder I was lost in this thread.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: January 26, 2017, 11:49 pm 

That's my fault. 30 or 40 years ago, there was only one "Permatex Black" - what is now called #2 - and all the racers, car builders, motorcycle guys used it & called it that. I've been using it for several decades, and it was always referred to as "black" in my circle.

I apologize for the confusion...

http://zetec7.webs.com/

PostPosted: January 27, 2017, 6:56 am 

Permatex Form a Gasket #2 has been around forever, I think it was probably used to defeat The Bosch in WW2, maybe even WW1 I remember in the early 50's, Dad had a crumpled tube of the stuff that was used for everything except except heads. We always called it Form a Gasket # 2 or simply "Permatex" as while we were aware of #1, it was very seldom used and the bottle of the stuff was always setup.

In the mid fifties, Permatex had a racecar (NASCAR?, don't remember) built, with no gaskets other than the head gaskets and actually raced it a bit as a promotional thing.

Bill

PostPosted: January 27, 2017, 8:52 am 

No problem. I just wanted to clear my own head about this, and maybe someone else's.

I too have been shade-tree wrenching for over 50 years. While not a professional mechanic, I have used this product and have always had a tube laying around in my arsenal. I never heard the term "Black" associated with it and always just called it "Permatex". That is, up till when Permatex started expanding the line with all the various silicone based products.

Now can anyone tell me the difference between Permatex #2, #2B and #2C? Is it just the package size?

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: January 27, 2017, 1:32 pm 

Yep, the A, B, and C refer to the size of the tube. It comes in 1.8 oz. (A), 3.0 oz. (B) and 11 oz. (C) tubes.

Unless you plan on using a LOT of it, I'd get an A or B size. The stuff goes a loooong way. I've had the same 3.0 oz. tube for probably 15 years, and used maybe 2/3 of it so far. One day, I should probably break down and buy a new one...

http://zetec7.webs.com/

PostPosted: January 30, 2017, 1:24 am 

I've got a tube of Permatex anaerobic flange sealant that is pretty amazing stuff. It's a thick red goo in a blue tube. I've even used it on an air cooled motorcycle engine to reuse the multi-layer head gasket. Bike still runs good over 15 years later.
Kristian