LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 16, 2024, 2:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: June 15, 2017, 6:34 pm 
Toyotaphobe

My 2010 F150 was rear ended and is in the shop being repaired. I am driving a 2016 Dodge truck.

It's not germane to the conversation, but the Dodge isn't nearly as refined, smooth or as nice as the Ford.

Aannyyywwaayyy, any time I get my hands on something different I always mess around with it to see how the package & power is as if I were going to transplant it into something else. The engine and trans has been the surprising good point to the Dodge.

I've towed 2 trailer loads with the truck. One about 2,000# and one about 5,000# and the truck performed almost as well as my Ford. As I've said the Dodge simply doesn't ride as nicely or as civilized as the Ford, but other than that it's done the job comparably.

It revs out nicely and has a great intake sound. It's not just a torquer engine with all the grunt down low, it actually seems to come alive in the higher revs, but it only revs to 6500. The electronic cut is soft and you can ride it for a long way with nothing weird happening. I know cause I did it.

I got the shock of my life when I opened the hood and found out it was a V6!!!! The new (2011) 3.6 VVT.

It is an all aluminum, DOHC, direct injection engine making around 300 hp. I have no idea how this compares in size, weigh, power or price to GM's or the Ford, but this is one nice engine. It's COP and actually looks kinda nice. In the truck it doesn't have the plastic engine cover. The wiring looks simple and so does the front end of the engine and belt. The plastic intake seems to be a little high, but I'm betting in the Challenger and other cars there's a lower version.

Does it have any weaknesses? I don't know. Are there any hop up versions? I don't know. What would you have to include to transplant it and how do you work around or with the security system? I don't know that either, I just thought if someone were looking you might want to look this direction too as they are bound to be cheap since they come in so many different Chrysler vehicles.

This is an 8 speed automatic and I've found that it won't do a forced shift if you leave it in a gear and the downshifts are smooth and doesn't upset the rear end even if you force it to go down 4 gears. I've seen more and more people use these types of automatics at autocross and since automatics are so prevalent when compared to standards which should mean they would be less expensive, but I know this engine comes with a standard both in RWD and FWD so regardless of what way you wanted to go there's an option for you.

Here's a list from Wiki that shows where it's being used.

3.6L

2011–2016 Chrysler 200[9] (Models: LX, Touring, Limited, S, and C)
2011–present Chrysler 300 (Models: 300 Base, 300 S V6, 300 C w/ V6, 300 C Glacier Series w/ V6, 300 C Luxury Series w/ V6)
2011–2016 Chrysler Town & Country (Models: LX, Touring, Touring "L", Limited, S, Limited Platinum)
2011–2014 Dodge Avenger (Models: SE V6, SXT, R/T)
2011–present Dodge Challenger (Models: SE, SXT, SXT +, SXT Rallye Edition, GT)
2011–present Dodge Charger (Models: SE, SXT, SXT +, SXT Rallye Edition)
2011–present Dodge Durango (Models: Express, SXT, Crew, Crew Lux, Citadel, ACT Plus, Limited, R/T)
2011–2015 Dodge Grand Caravan (Models: SE American Value Package (AVP) or Canadian Value Package (CVP), SE, Crew, Crew Lux, SXT, R/T SE Plus, SXT Plus)
2011–present Dodge Journey (Models: SE American Value Package (AVP) or Canadian Value Package (CVP), Mainstreet, Crew, Crew Lux, SXT, R/T Crossroad)
2011–present Jeep Grand Cherokee (Models: Laredo "E", Laredo "X", 70TH Anniversary Edition, Trailhawk, Altitude Edition, Limited, Overland, Overland Summit Edition)
2011–2014 Volkswagen Routan (Models: S, SE, SEL, SEL Premium)
2012–present Fiat Freemont
2012–present Jeep Wrangler (Models: Sport, Unlimited Sport, Sport "S", Unlimited Sport "S", Freedom Edition, Unlimited Freedom Edition, Altitude Edition, Unlimited Altitude Edition, 70TH Anniversary Edition, Unlimited 70TH Anniversary Edition, Sahara, Unlimited Sahara, Moab, Unlimited Moab, Rubicon, Unlimited Rubicon, Rubicon 10TH Anniversary, Unlimited Rubicon 10TH Anniversary)
2012–2015 Lancia Voyager (Models: Limited)
2012–2014 Lancia Thema
2012–2015 Ram Cargo Van (Models: C/V Base, C/V Tradesman)
2013–present Ram 1500 (Models: Tradesman, SLT, HFE)
2014–present Ram ProMaster
2015–present Chrysler 200 (295-hp, 262-lb ft)
2017–present Chrysler Pacifica (RU) (287-hp, 262-lb ft) (Hybrid: 260-hp combined, 230-lb ft)

Pentastar Upgrade

For 2016, FCA released an updated version of the 3.6 L engine for the Jeep Grand Cherokee. This engine now featured two-stage variable valve lift (VVL), a cooled EGR, a new intake manifold, new fuel injectors, and new ignition coils. It also features upgrades to the variable valve timing (VVT) system, an increased compression ratio (11.3:1), lower internal friction and lower weight. The new engine also has MDS like the Hemi and will shut off two of its cylinders while driving and make it a v4 while cruising the freeway. These improvements help to increase power as well as efficiency.[10]
Code Displacement Bore Stroke Years Power SAE Torque SAE
3,604 cc (219.9 cu in) 96.0 mm (3.78 in) 83.0 mm (3.27 in) 2016– 305 hp (227 kW) 268 lb·ft (363 N·m)
Applications

2016- Jeep Grand Cherokee
2017- Chrysler Pacifica
2016- Dodge Durango

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: June 15, 2017, 9:12 pm 

"COP"? Probably just having a senior moment. Please understand! :?

PostPosted: June 15, 2017, 9:29 pm 
Toyotaphobe

Coil On Plug

Here are a couple of bad pictures. I intend to take better ones while I have the truck.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I can explain it to you,

PostPosted: June 15, 2017, 11:23 pm 

Quote:
Coil On Plug

OK. Gotcha! I'm such a child of the 60s.

PostPosted: June 16, 2017, 11:36 am 

I have had a number of thoughts along similar lines. With how many full-size trucks are produced, and with all full size trucks finally having gotten decent engines across the board in recent years, they would make a very interesting donor source for something fun...Exactly what that 'something' is though, I haven't quite figured out. Obviously a Locost maybe, but it would probably have to be a bit of a larger/heavier one based on the size of the components. On the other hand, maybe replicate some big old hulking beast of a car like a Bentley 6.5L Speed Six racer, possibly even using the actual truck chassis as well. I don't know, just some random thoughts...

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

PostPosted: June 16, 2017, 12:45 pm 

carguy123 wrote:
. . . <text deleted> . . .

I got the shock of my life when I opened the hood and found out it was a V6!!!! The new (2011) 3.6 VVT.

It is an all aluminum, DOHC, direct injection engine making around 300 hp. I have no idea how this compares in size, weigh, power or price to GM's or the Ford, but this is one nice engine. It's COP and actually looks kinda nice. In the truck it doesn't have the plastic engine cover. The wiring looks simple and so does the front end of the engine and belt. The plastic intake seems to be a little high, but I'm betting in the Challenger and other cars there's a lower version.

Does it have any weaknesses? I don't know. Are there any hop up versions? I don't know. What would you have to include to transplant it and how do you work around or with the security system? I don't know that either, I just thought if someone were looking you might want to look this direction too as they are bound to be cheap since they come in so many different Chrysler vehicles.

This is an 8 speed automatic and I've found that it won't do a forced shift if you leave it in a gear and the downshifts are smooth and doesn't upset the rear end even if you force it to go down 4 gears. I've seen more and more people use these types of automatics at autocross and since automatics are so prevalent when compared to standards which should mean they would be less expensive, but I know this engine comes with a standard both in RWD and FWD so regardless of what way you wanted to go there's an option for you.

Here's a list from Wiki that shows where it's being used.

. . . . <text deleted> . . .

Yeah, this is a totally kick-ass little engine. We've been driving a vehicle equipped with the first gen version of 293 HP since 2012. As I commented way back in my build log (viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886&start=345), we were delightfully surprised by it's performance. We've used to haul huge loads, driven it extensively in the mountains, plus in the deserts here, and along the coast, and it has never disappointed us.

The guy who heads FCA liked it so much, that he had Maserati developing a twin-turbo, high performance version (it was apparently designed with turbocharging in mind) for use in the Italian family of cars (Maserati, Alfa Romeo, Fiat, etc.). I don't know what happened there, but there is an improved 305HP version in the Challenger base model.

It's a very light weight, 60-degree architecture.

Cheers

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: June 16, 2017, 11:25 pm 
Toyotaphobe

All 3 of the major manufacturers have 300ish hp versions of V6s and if their power bands are anywhere near like this one, and I'm betting they have to be, then they should be awesome Locost donors.

I don't know actual weights and I haven't seen a transmission from any of them, but I'm betting they are fairly light, extremely available, as in there are scores of models that have this workhorse of an engine, and probably not all that expensive as they are everywhere and not anything special.

300ish hp is a LOT in a car of this weight, but as you soon see you always want more power. I've driven a lot of 240-250 hp versions and while they are scary fast, once you get on the track you always need just a little bit more to stave off the factory cars at the end of the straights.

These would be completely unstressed and therefore they should be reliable if there aren't any inherent weaknesses such as oiling issues, and I don't just mean unbaffled pans. I'm thinking drain back issues, or cam oiling issues, etc.

I'm thinking the Fords and Chevys ought to have some speed parts since this engine comes in the Camaro & Mustang. I don't know how the aftermarket supports Mopar, but this is also in the Challenger.

If you could force yourself to use an automatic version, then I'd think the world would be your oyster when you began looking. I haven't driven all versions of automatics, but I was impressed that the Mopar's would hold a gear which would mean it could be a good autocross option. I wonder if higher stall converters are available or even if you'd need one in this light of a car?

So does anyone know if there's a relatively simple way to make the ecu work on any of these engines? My money would be on Ford or Chevy since both seem to have aftermarket harnesses or ecus for race cars.

I can explain it to you,