LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 8:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 4 cylinder working on 3
PostPosted: October 27, 2017, 11:59 am 

what would be the steps to find the problem
i guess find wich cylinder then check for sparks but what next? these are the plugs
single cam one carburator
thanks for your help !

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: October 27, 2017, 12:03 pm 

Have you checked the distributor cap?

PostPosted: October 27, 2017, 12:23 pm 

i had no fire at first then found fixed broken wire from coil to distributor then had fire but i was so happy i didnt check all the wires tried starting it ran rough like on 3 then pulled the plugs when i saw the one standing out i stopped everything did not want to cause damage
im gonna go back to check if i got sparks
every cylinder if i dont then distributor cap plugs wires but if i do what next?

PostPosted: October 27, 2017, 12:44 pm 

I would do the basics:

Spark - check to see if you have spark at each lead (remove plugs from head, re-attach to leads, lay the plugs somewhere on the motor so that they're grounded, spin the motor over and see if each plug is producing a spark) if the dead one doesn't produce a spark, work backwards towards the cap (swap the leads around to rule out a bad lead, check the contacts in the cap etc)

Compression - pull the plugs and check the compression on each cylinder. If the dead cylinder has no compression start looking for the cause (valve clearances, damaged piston, failed head gasket etc)

Fuel - you said its a single carb, so if the other three are working most likely it isnt a fuel issue

Is the firing order correct? What motor do you have?

PostPosted: October 27, 2017, 1:52 pm 

cs3tcr wrote:
I would do the basics:

Spark - check to see if you have spark at each lead (remove plugs from head, re-attach to leads, lay the plugs somewhere on the motor so that they're grounded, spin the motor over and see if each plug is producing a spark) if the dead one doesn't produce a spark, work backwards towards the cap (swap the leads around to rule out a bad lead, check the contacts in the cap etc)

Compression - pull the plugs and check the compression on each cylinder. If the dead cylinder has no compression start looking for the cause (valve clearances, damaged piston, failed head gasket etc)

Fuel - you said its a single carb, so if the other three are working most likely it isnt a fuel issue

Is the firing order correct? What motor do you have?

thanks for the quick replies im gonna have to print this and hang it in my garage
first thing i decided to test the spark plugs on one lead the one with no carbon did not produce spark all others did so im gonna get new ones gapped and test them it should work on 4
the engine is a renault in a lotus europa wich i just bought the car came with an extra engine a renault with a gordini crossflow head complete with delortos but for now im just trying to get it running

PostPosted: October 27, 2017, 2:25 pm 

califkidd,

One word of caution though, when you test the plugs as I described, make sure there is no fuel or anything flammable around the motor, no one wants to see a Europa burn.

I would recommend joining the Europa forum: http://www.lotuseuropa.org/LotusForum/index.php
There's a few guys on that board that are very familiar with the Renault motors. As for me, I opted not to use the Renault engine and went for a Zetec:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: October 27, 2017, 6:39 pm 

cs3tcr wrote:
califkidd,

One word of caution though, when you test the plugs as I described, make sure there is no fuel or anything flammable around the motor, no one wants to see a Europa burn.

I would recommend joining the Europa forum: http://www.lotuseuropa.org/LotusForum/index.php
There's a few guys on that board that are very familiar with the Renault motors. As for me, I opted not to use the Renault engine and went for a Zetec:

dont worry about the car burning i was very careful ! the problem was the spark plug got a new one runs now but sound like the valves need adjustment im not to crazy about that engine i really like what you did with yours i might follow the same route and yes im gonna join the europa group should make it easier to figure out this car
thanks again for your help

PostPosted: October 27, 2017, 9:13 pm 

Why am I still surprised to see guys make life hard on themselves when they don't have to? :BH:
You have a fresh hot Gordini engine, but you are thinking of an expensive and difficult engine swap that will make the Lotus less original and valuable? :?
The Gordini would be VERY close to a TC in performance*, but lighter and also still "Correct" for the car.
*Some reports have the Gordini outperforming the Ford TC.

I would do a proper full tune-up on the current engine, use it as a learning tool before getting into advanced automotive work.
Once you are a guy who can answer others "How to" post, put in the Gordini! :cheers:

Full Disclosure, I kick my own @$$ twice every Sunday for selling my Europa/Gordini project.
I note that I cannot buy a similarly equipped project car at three times my sale price of only a few years ago.

PostPosted: October 28, 2017, 8:55 am 

RichardSIA wrote:
Why am I still surprised to see guys make life hard on themselves when they don't have to? :BH:
You have a fresh hot Gordini engine, but you are thinking of an expensive and difficult engine swap that will make the Lotus less original and valuable? :?
The Gordini would be VERY close to a TC in performance*, but lighter and also still "Correct" for the car.
*Some reports have the Gordini outperforming the Ford TC.

I would do a proper full tune-up on the current engine, use it as a learning tool before getting into advanced automotive work.
Once you are a guy who can answer others "How to" post, put in the Gordini! :cheers:

Full Disclosure, I kick my own @$$ twice every Sunday for selling my Europa/Gordini project.
I note that I cannot buy a similarly equipped project car at three times my sale price of only a few years ago.

when i bought the lotus the ad said europa s2 1970 needs restoration and the price was very low i saw one advertised in my area with renaut gordini crossflow asking 42 grand when i bought mine the rad was off and windshield cracked but came with new one still in box all the parts for the car were there then the guy say o ya i have another engine and threw in the gordini now
im not decided yet what to do
first idea was getting it running and put all mecanical in order to make it safe and keep it as is as what they call survivor for now
but i dont know how to check the condition of the frame it looks like surface rust in the tunnel and front the back end looks new
i could do frame off but then id loose the car for a while
if i make my on frame i can put modern mecanicals and i could just switch the frames and then enjoy the car and gives me time to restore the original frame
so the plan now is make car safe drive it as is