LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: February 20, 2018, 8:46 pm 
Toyotaphobe

I have decided to go another direction with motivation. You've convinced me that I can use a newer engine without having to megasquirt or use other work arounds.

The engine is new (4 miles) and the transmission is slightly used (30,000 miles). I've turned the engine regularly and put squirts of oil in the cylinders periodically to help preserve it. As well as sealing all openings.

Back in '04 a whole load of new S2000s were driven on the ship headed to America. They were then driven off and onto a train. The train wrecked.

I bought 6 of the engines & transmissions with all having from 4-7 miles on them. Over the years I've used them in various projects or sold them. This was the best looking engine and had only 4 miles. I switched the AP2 transmission for an AP1 because the AP1 has higher speeds in the lower gears, although it cruises at a higher rpm. But in a Locost that doesn't really matter. What I wanted was a higher speed in 2nd for autocross. If you couple this with a 3.9 rear end instead of the 4.1 it comes stock with that will give you over 60 mph in 2nd.

It is complete with clutch, starter, header, wiring and '00 ecu. Although now I would do a stock '04 ecu. Originally I got an '00 ecu thinking that I still wanted 9,000 rpm, but it's since been proven that about 8,500 is all you can run long term reliably in the 2.2 liter engines.

The price is $4,350 which seems to be quite fair based upon what I've seen the high mileage ones selling on eBay.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: April 23, 2018, 5:22 am 

Do you still have the motor for sale?

PostPosted: September 17, 2019, 1:46 pm 

Do you happen to have any of these engines left? Thanks!