LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 3:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: rear end for 442 chassis
PostPosted: March 5, 2018, 4:08 pm 

Just wondering what would be the best rear axle to fit to a 442 chassis. Looking for something that is readily available. Was going to go with the Volvo independent rear that I already have but would rather save on the fab work and run a solid rear. Sorry if this has been asked before.

PostPosted: March 5, 2018, 9:20 pm 

Depends on your track width but my personal choice is a camaro rear axle. Can get them with disc and posi fairly cheap. S10 would be my 2nd choice. I believe there was a sticky or at least a popular thread floating around somewhere going over the common donors.
Edit: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1231

PostPosted: March 11, 2018, 1:36 pm 

What bolt pattern front hubs are you using?

Since 1967-68 Volvo have used 5 on 108. Now common for Ford, it once was to be avoided.

Now I would just match something up to the front hub pattern.
I am a huge fan of Toyota "7.5" F-series diffs, but finding them with discs...mmm...no, unless 4 on 114.3 Celica Supra (before Supra was it's own stand alone model)

PostPosted: March 11, 2018, 2:24 pm 

Cardot60 wrote:
Depends on your track width but my personal choice is a camaro rear axle. Can get them with disc and posi fairly cheap. S10 would be my 2nd choice.

Note that though the internals are basically the same, a Camaro (fourth-gen, anyway) is about a foot wider than an S10 axle. The Camaro is wide and uses highly-offset FWD-style wheels.

If I remember correctly, the S10 axle is used by the Brunton Stalker.

PostPosted: March 11, 2018, 3:27 pm 

More importantly, what are you going to do with your finished car?
How you will use the car is a major factor in determining which design to use.
What is your power level?
Do you plan to track the car or do autoX?

I had procured a Supra IRS setup complete to use in my project, I then realized I would not be able to make quick or easy adjustments to it.
It is easier to change a rear roll center adjustment at the track on a 3 link than it is to move weight around or change arm angles on an IRS
So I have jumped from the IRS ship and will be using a straight axle and a 3 link on mine.
I have not yet settled on my centering system yet.
Probably an adjustable watts link.

PostPosted: March 12, 2018, 1:37 pm 

so i guess I'm really undecided. I have a complete v70xc to use as a donor. front end, independent rear, engine, etc. I was thinking of using either s10 stuff front and rear, ford explorer stuff front and rear, or just adapting the Volvo stuff i have. Being a Volvo guy the 5x108 wheels are easyish to find. my hang up is since this is my first build i kinda wanted to keep it simpler. The car will be used mostly for hooning around. Taking money from punk kids with evos, sti's, Hondas, etc. The occasional auto x, and commuting to work when the weather is nice. The engine i have is 240 hp in stock form, but with the mods i will be doing should put it a tad over 300. Yes i know this is a proverbial sh*t ton for such a small car, but go big or go home.

PostPosted: March 18, 2018, 9:40 pm 

My S10 2 wheel drive is perfect for a +2. I don't think it would be a match for a +4 design because you'll want to mount the trailing arms about where the wheel mounting surface is.

The 4x4 ones are wider, so you'd have to work with rims that have a couple of inches of backspace (ie, the Gen 4 Camaro rims). You might also find read disks and posi in that 4x4 design that is danged near impossible to get in the S10 axles -- the only way you are gonna find a 2wd rear with disks is off a 98+ blazer (or so my notes indicate) and the posi needs to come from a V6 powered truck w/ a T5 tranny during the first full moon after the annual spring equinox, etc.

2 wheel drive width from WMS to WMS is 54.25 inches (I can verify this). I got mine for almost free, but by the time I get posi and rear brakes I'll have probably $500 in it.

4 wheel drive width from WMS to WMS is 58-60 inches (depending who measures it) inches. I think that there is some variables there, ie, bolt patterns, etc. But they're "cheap" (see above).

Louisville, KY
Hayes front, S10 +2 rear, Lalo body.