LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: July 23, 2018, 10:03 pm 

phil wrote:
Engine bay dimensions?
And your opinion the robustness when it comes to a possible sbc base (using the 928 running gear)?
Thank you very much for the help :-)

You may want to take a look at Sorley,s 7 +442 below
http://sevenesque.com/plans/

and this
http://www.virtualv8.com/chassis3.htm

My own view would be to follow the Australian suggestions to add more tubes, but in addition I would make the upper and lower rails 1.25 inch tuves. The suspension tube components would also be heavier :)[/quote]

Yes, engine bay dimensions. Bottom rail to top rail, side to side and firewall to radiator brace.
Already looked at the 442E (earlier in the thread). Staying with 1" rails but adding more tubes for triangulation, probably use the entire 928 irs but no doubt the front wishbones will need to be larger (especially for the 928 hubs, rotors and calipers.
Thanks for that link. Pity they don't supply plans though.

PostPosted: July 24, 2018, 12:39 am 

Zonk, for the SBC, you may want to stick with the 442. The Haynes is a 221, and those extra couple of inches may come in handy, especially if you plan to do some Aussie-mods for extra strength. That being said, the Haynes engine bay is 35" at the top rail, 38"at the bottom from firewall to front X-member. Inside width at the top rail is 35" at the firewall tapering to 22.75 at the front X-member. The lower rails are 35" at the firewall, tapering to 13.5 at the front X-member. There are diagonal braces running from the center of the top front X-member to about 8 inches back on the top side rail. over all height is 14". Hope this helps.

PostPosted: July 24, 2018, 10:08 am 

ngpmike wrote:
Zonk, for the SBC, you may want to stick with the 442. The Haynes is a 221, and those extra couple of inches may come in handy, especially if you plan to do some Aussie-mods for extra strength. That being said, the Haynes engine bay is 35" at the top rail, 38"at the bottom from firewall to front X-member. Inside width at the top rail is 35" at the firewall tapering to 22.75 at the front X-member. The lower rails are 35" at the firewall, tapering to 13.5 at the front X-member. There are diagonal braces running from the center of the top front X-member to about 8 inches back on the top side rail. over all height is 14". Hope this helps.

Helps a great deal, thank you!
Agree, the 442 is most likely better for my application. Pity as I liked the robustness of the Haynes, but I reckon I'll just beef up the McSorely. Kinda on the fence the 442 or the 442E.

PostPosted: July 24, 2018, 10:10 am 

I heartily endorse the so-called Aussie mods. I used them myself (well, adaptations of them) when I designed my 1-off based on the Haynes (Gibbs) Roadster, which has a 3.8L V6 that is about equal to a Chevy 305 small block in terms of HP and torque. Also, I used several ideas from the Virtual V8 website that you have found already. He's also an Australian fellow and did answer my questions by e-mail way back when.

On this website somewhere are copies of the Linton Analysis. It was done at Cranfield University in the UK by a graduate student (Linton). It has two parts. The first actually structurally evaluates a commercial variation of the "Book" chassis using sophisticated, real-world, engineering tools. The second part is done is software using the real-world evaluation as a base line. If you read through it you will develop a good sense of the strengths and weaknesses of the design, and which improvements yield the biggest benefits.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: July 24, 2018, 10:38 am 

lunarzonker wrote:
Engine bay dimensions?
And your opinion the robustness when it comes to a possible sbc base (using the 928 running gear)?
Thank you very much for the help :-)
You might also want to consider adapting a Car9 chassis to use the 928 transaxle, etc. I have an LS3 in my Car9 build with an 8.8 IRS, so room for your sbc. I went the Car9 route for the chassis strength and other improvements.

My Car9 build: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14613
"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

Ultima Spyder, Northstar 4.0, Porsche G50/52

PostPosted: July 29, 2018, 10:56 pm 

Hmmm. An interesting idea. The GM 4.3, 90 degree Vortec. The 5th gen LV3 makes 297hp and 330 lb-ft and I believe (but don't quote me) it has the same transmission bolt pattern as the sbc. Would that not mean the Renegade Hybrids sbc kit for the 928 running gear would also work for the application I'm thinking of but not have the serious weight penalty of an iron sbc? I'd love to use the 928 torque tube, trans axle, irs and hubs for this build as I already have em and they'd be robust. Should easily handle 300-400hp. Mebbe an LV3 would be the way to go on this build? Comes in at 400-425 longblock. Certainly not as light as the Miata 1.8 but not as stoopid heavy as the 928 engine (575) or the sbc (500-525).
Can anyone verify the LV3 5th gen as same bolt block/trans bolt pattern. Wiki seems a bit vague....

PostPosted: July 29, 2018, 11:11 pm 
Toyotaphobe

lunarzonker wrote:
Can anyone verify the LV3 5th gen as same bolt block/trans bolt pattern. Wiki seems a bit vague....

When I owned one in a van I was told all things SBC fit on it, but I never actually tried it.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: October 18, 2018, 2:39 pm 

carguy123 wrote:
lunarzonker wrote:

When I owned one in a van I was told all things SBC fit on it, but I never actually tried it.

What year? The LV3 was introduced in the 2014 model year. The 2014 vans still had the old 4.3 and it looks like the 2015-up Express vans were all V8-only, so it doesn't look like any vans got the LV3. Was your van the old 4.3? The old 4.3 was used through 2014 and was small block-based. The LV3 4.3 is based on the Gen V LS. I don't know why they'd design a new LS-based engine with an all new block, but then design in the bellhousing pattern from the old engine? Finally bringing it up to the LS bellhousing pattern would let them share transmissions between all engines.

The small block and LS bolt patterns are very similar, except that the LS is missing the top middle bolt hole on the passenger side of the engine. This picture shows a similar design on the LV3:

vs the old 4.3 with that upper right bolt hole:

I think it's safe to say the LV3 has the LS bellhousing pattern. But that's not to say that the crank stickout/pilot bearing is the same.