LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 19, 2024, 12:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TR-7 based builds?
PostPosted: September 26, 2018, 1:34 am 

Went cruising around my new neighborhood, found a TR-7, two Spitfires, and a couple of Corvair's languishing away within two blocks of me.
Makes me wonder what I might find when I look around a little further away. :wink:

Any prior TR-7 based builds here?
Longitudinal SOHC 4, leaned over for a low hood line, 4 speed trans, fairly narrow track, R&P steering, donors come up pretty cheap.
I know they are the ugly car that killed Triumph (Actually it was the then current feculent Fed. mandates) but they do check a lot of boxes for me.
No computers or fuel infection, manual trans, narrow track, CHEAP!
I know they did not have the greatest reputation, but I also know they were handicapped by their era of rushed engineering for constantly changing Gov. Org. demands.
Disc front brakes and a live rear axle, seems like a decent donor for those of us that are not fanboys of the Japanese cars?
Known weaknesses?

Post subject: Re: TR-7 based builds?
PostPosted: September 26, 2018, 7:07 am 

Don't know to much about TR-7 but there are a couple running Lemons in the NE that are pretty quick. Granted I believe both have GM 3.8 supercharged swaps.

ND Club Miata
Nissan Titan Sold
Rubi Wrangler
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=13200

PostPosted: September 26, 2018, 8:02 am 

How on Earth can you put together a supercharged 3.8 entry for under 500 dollars?

TR-7's don't have such a good reliability reputation. I don't recall much about any specifics. Too many bottles of Jack have passed. It may simply have been based on rumors started by all of us MG guys lamenting that TR survived and MG didn't. :evil:

I'd say, go ahead and be the first. What have you got to lose? Even a Spit-based build would be fun. And there is at least one of those as I recall.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: September 26, 2018, 9:31 am 

I seem to remember this topic coming up a couple of years ago. I believe someone was (or was practically) given a TR7 and was contemplating a Locost build. I don't know if that happened. It may be worth doing a search here.

They had a reputation for being unreliable back in the day. I think they went to coil springs at back and a wider track with the TR7, so there might be an chassis width issue.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: September 26, 2018, 10:07 am 

Issues with TR7's....

-Crap engine, not a very good design although Saab did somewhat make them reliable.
-Crap gearbox, basically a spitfire sized gearbox behind a 2L motor
-strut front suspension (only an issue with locosts)
-rear axle is weak (4 speed versions)

In my opinion, unless it's a very well maintained TR7, I would stay clear of them. Now, a TR8 on the other hand....

PostPosted: September 26, 2018, 11:32 am 

TR8 = Hard to find and expensive.
I need to learn more about the "Dolomite" head conversions, but that eats into the low cost aspect.
May be able to get the TR7 local to me for nearly FREE, so cheap to experiment with.
I've already begun looking at doing some Locost builds based on Spitfire/GT6 chassis.
The TR7's might provide another stream of inexpensive Brit parts as I just cannot work up enthusiasm for the overcomplicated Jap and might as well be Jap US parts.

Just signed the lease on the new shop yesterday, need to get moved and organized.

PostPosted: September 26, 2018, 11:57 am 

Location: That point where the humidity and the temperature combine forces to destroy all that is good
Saab changed just enough on their version of that engine so as to make using Saab parts almost impossible. When mine ran, it was quick... but it had bad habits. Lumenition failed, carbs had issues, but the engine itself, independent of those problems, was pretty reliable and actually never gave me any trouble. Get rid of the Lumenition and desmog the carbs, I'd trust it any day. I don't fancy replacing water pumps on them, though; I did a couple when I worked in a LBC shop.

PostPosted: September 26, 2018, 12:11 pm 

cs3tcr wrote:
Issues with TR7's....

-Crap engine, not a very good design although Saab did somewhat make them reliable.
-Crap gearbox, basically a spitfire sized gearbox behind a 2L motor
-strut front suspension (only an issue with locosts)
-rear axle is weak (4 speed versions)

In my opinion, unless it's a very well maintained TR7, I would stay clear of them. Now, a TR8 on the other hand....

Only the 4spd is Spitfire based. The 5spd is similar to the Rover SD1 and decently strong.

PostPosted: September 26, 2018, 12:15 pm 

Spitfire, or GT6 based trans?
They are similar but the GT6 was stronger than the Spitfire so many were used up by racers.
GT6 was a similar size six cylinder engine.
Which then brings up the question of is the TR7 4-speed an upgrade to Spitfires or GT6's?

PostPosted: September 26, 2018, 2:18 pm 

Quote:
I don't fancy replacing water pumps on them

That reminded me of my days selling parts, the pumps were very pricey and sure enough they still are; $350 from Moss.

Also, from what I recall, the head bolts/studs are at different angles which made removal an absolute bear if one of the head bolts decided to break.

PostPosted: September 26, 2018, 4:07 pm 

I have just started a TR7/Miata build.
I want to look of the British roadster without the hassle of 40+ year old parts. I race Miatas and street car is a 2004 factory turbo Miata so I am very familiar with them.
Lo Cost ? I paid $1500 a year ago for a running 1979 TR7 convertible. The Miata donor was my daughters high school car so it was paid for and probably only worth $3000 or so.
I currently have the Miata drive train and suspension stripped and almost have the TR7 down to the tub.
The plan is to meld the Miata drive train and suspension into the TR7 tub. I haven't found any body damage or rust on the TR7....which was a surprise. I expected to see something when I got it down to the tub.
Next step is to get the TR7 tub on a rotisserie so I can weld in the required attach points and make mods to fit the Miata parts. Should be a fun project.
If anyone is interested I will try to load up some of my photos to a host so you can see.
Cheers Rob

PostPosted: September 26, 2018, 6:41 pm 

Hmm, I suppose you are as far away as possible?
I've been looking for a TR7 rear axle for a while to simplify a Spitfire Locost build.
Want to just delete the Spit IRS and go with the simple axle, TR7 has the right bolt pattern and is almost narrow enough.
Might be interested in other parts as well once I get settled in the new shop.
I'm in No. Nevada.

PostPosted: September 27, 2018, 7:33 am 

haha yes,
I'm in Florida. However, I will soon have a full TR-7 drivetrain and suspension for sale.
Basically everything under the tub will be available.
Full engine
Transmission
Air conditioning system
Wire harnesses
Driveshaft
Front and rear suspension
Restored original rims (Previous owner restored them)

PostPosted: September 27, 2018, 8:56 am 

Location: That point where the humidity and the temperature combine forces to destroy all that is good
Oddly enough, by the time B-L was building TR7's and 8's, they had rust control firmly in mind as a developed concept.... none of the five I've had had serious BODY rust issues. Headlight doors, however... I think the last couple of years of B's and Midgets had pretty good rust proofing as well. I wish they'd had it in hand in the early '70's....

Yeah, those water pumps are christ awful expensive, more so than XJ6 units. And so counter-intuitive to replace.

PostPosted: September 27, 2018, 8:34 pm 

seriousrob wrote:
haha yes,
I'm in Florida. However, I will soon have a full TR-7 drivetrain and suspension for sale.
Basically everything under the tub will be available.
Full engine
Transmission
Air conditioning system
Wire harnesses
Driveshaft
Front and rear suspension
Restored original rims (Previous owner restored them)

Five speed car?
Might justify some shipping expense. :wink: