LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 9:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: December 8, 2018, 4:34 pm 

I am seriously considering this and I am sure it won't be around long. I am sure some of you may be interested also.

Facebook Link
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 4895082371

Product Link:
http://www.high-performance-engines.com ... 20lnf1.htm

Image Image

They are listing a LNF for 1900 free shipping. The comments on facebook say Gen 2 Euro. I am not super familiar with these families of engines so I thought I would see what everyone here thought. The ad talks about the long block being used in the solstice, etc.... so I am not sure if this has a different fuel system? I am also not sure what engine management would be appropriate.

Thanks for any info!

PostPosted: December 8, 2018, 6:14 pm 

Looks like a heck of a deal if you are into the newer overly complex engines.
AND have ready access to all the missing systems.
I suspect the missing components will cost more than the engine unless sourced from wrecking yards, then you have quality issues. :roll:

PostPosted: December 8, 2018, 7:00 pm 

Looks like this could cover engine management:

http://swapspecialties.com/product/gm-e ... e-harness/

PostPosted: December 8, 2018, 7:08 pm 

From the link text.
Quote:
These are no longer being produced by GM; this is the last of the supply!

So it's another short lived design for which parts will soon be "Obsolete and no longer supported". :(
I doubt there will be a lot of aftermarket support for very long either as builders begin using the next generation wonder engine.
I've posted before about the inherent problems of these short life engines and my decision to only use long lived classic designs :) .

PostPosted: December 8, 2018, 8:00 pm 

I've kept my eye on this series of engine for a couple of years now. The list prices on the controller, for instance, are killers. But yeah, great technology.

Louisville, KY
Hayes front, S10 +2 rear, Lalo body.

PostPosted: December 10, 2018, 1:07 pm 

RichardSIA wrote:
From the link text.
Quote:

So it's another short lived design for which parts will soon be "Obsolete and no longer supported". :(
I doubt there will be a lot of aftermarket support for very long either as builders begin using the next generation wonder engine.
I've posted before about the inherent problems of these short life engines and my decision to only use long lived classic designs :) .

Uh, the LNF went into production in 2005 and is still being made today with some small tweaks (not called an LNF anymore but the same thing), that's a 13 year run and counting for that specific engine. The engine family it's fundamentally based on goes back to the late 90's and has a huge hot rod following with land speed racers and drag racers in particular.

In modern terms it's just a turbo, vvt, DI engine, not exactly rocket science anymore, really. All of that can be run with a pretty simple megasquirt. Sounds like what you want is one cam and a carb, it's definitely not that.

Alex

PostPosted: December 10, 2018, 7:39 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

They can follow all they want but don't forget the check book. Er, I mean credit card, no that's not right anymore either, phone pay AP?

In this case, I think you'd be much better off buying a wreck that's been rearended, pull what you need, and ebay the rest. Otherwise it will nickel and dime* you to death. Your link to harness is about a grand by the time you add up the options.

*nickels and dimes are forms of currency that vintage persons try to pinch. :lol:

A little joke! I kid! I kid! :shock:

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: December 11, 2018, 12:27 am 

Quote:

I've posted before about the inherent problems of these short life engines and my decision to only use long lived classic designs :) .[/quote]

Uh, the LNF went into production in 2005 and is still being made today with some small tweaks (not called an LNF anymore but the same thing), that's a 13 year run and counting for that specific engine. The engine family it's fundamentally based on goes back to the late 90's and has a huge hot rod following with land speed racers and drag racers in particular.

In modern terms it's just a turbo, vvt, DI engine, not exactly rocket science anymore, really. All of that can be run with a pretty simple megasquirt. Sounds like what you want is one cam and a carb, it's definitely not that.

Alex[/quote]

Actually, I am partial to two cams and two or three carbs!
Just not fond of ECU's and other components that cannot be repaired outside of a garage.
I've had ECU's and even HEI distributors fail leaving me stranded. :x
The more complex the system the more to fail.

PostPosted: December 11, 2018, 8:44 am 

You need to see this motor in person, they are BIG A$$ 4 cylinder!!!
It is not going to be easy, [more like difficult ] to fit it in a small Seven. They are about the same size as a SBF. You need to get some dims.
Do your home work before dropping the $$$.
DaveW

PostPosted: December 11, 2018, 10:20 am 

If you're gonna do this block, you might consider the Ecotec 2.0L Vvt Di Turbo (LTG)

2013 - present Malibu (259 hp 13-15, 205 hp 2016ff)
2014 - present Regal
2013 - Present ATS (bumped to 295 hp in 2015)
2016 - Cadillac CT6
2016 - Camaro

I can't imagine that an engine with a bazillion copies made, and at least a dozen variants, will go away anytime soon?

The LNF variant was the Solstice / Sky motor, so you can always use that trans for this block... I think. But at least you're not on the hook for a $500 custom bell and having to figure out what clutch to use. I think. Probably.

Louisville, KY

PostPosted: December 11, 2018, 9:27 pm 

I think once you add up the cost of all the ancillaries you will prefer buying a salvaged vehicle instead.

PostPosted: December 12, 2018, 10:51 pm 

I did a quick guesstimate of what I'd have in such a drive line and... yeah, that LS (or L-something) V8 was cheaper. Would make sense if weight were important, or I was keeping the engine displacement down, but other than that, cost per HP wasn't a bargain.

Louisville, KY

PostPosted: December 13, 2018, 5:19 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

IMHO, all internal recip engines are just air pumps to me. Some awful, some great, some very specialized but still just air pumps. An overwhelming selection of mostly cheap pumps that will do the job.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: December 19, 2018, 12:17 am 

SkiRideDrive wrote:
Looks like this could cover engine management:

http://swapspecialties.com/product/gm-e ... e-harness/

Yeah.... No.

I bought the stand alone harness for my 99 Miata/Ecotec LE5 swap from him. Took about 3 months to get the harness. Several wires were out of place. But, I will say the harness looks great and is very nice quality. The wires that were out of place were easy to sort with the ECU pin out and a code scanner.

Still, 3 months to get a harness that was promised in a week. Then sometimes two weeks of effort to get a hold of someone to get status. Not acceptable.

If you want to go this route I'd recommend getting the harness from Alpha Fab. They're more expensive but they're also far more reliable.

https://www.alphafabindustries.com/

PostPosted: February 13, 2019, 11:24 am 

I bought the LTG after drooling over the LNF. It makes more power and has more model availability. As was said previously- It is a big motor and the trans is bigger too! It will not fit in a book chassis :(

Mitch and swaptime made great harnesses. Much better than swap specialties. Those guys are useless and lied multiple times delaying my project for months while they "would ship it friday" week after week..

If anyone has questions on the LTG feel free to email me. Or check out my blog on exportedafrican.com.