LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: May 6, 2020, 10:07 pm 

Yeah I'm not sure. I was actually at his shop today and saw a couple driveshafts with CVs sitting on a shelf. I asked him why one of those wouldn't work for my application and he said they were meant to be run at zero degrees (which a u-joint doesn't like). So in essence, a high angle CV like on a half shaft is meant for high angle and low speed, and a high speed CV is meant for zero (or nearly zero) angles and high speed? Does that sound right to anyone?

PostPosted: May 7, 2020, 10:18 am 

Were they all Rzeppa joints? I dont see what difference it should make speed-wise as long as they handle the torque.

PostPosted: May 7, 2020, 11:14 am 

Tough to tell with my untrained eye, but they sure looked like it. I just phoned another local shop and ran my situation by the guy. He told me the same thing. He said running a Rzeppa joint at a high angle will cause it to overheat and likely cause vibrations too. Apparently these joints are also used on Ford F150s and when guys lift them they encounter 'nothing but problems'. It was good to get that second opinion, so I think I'm back to the original double cardan idea.

PostPosted: May 7, 2020, 11:43 am 

Pretty sure Grand Cherokees use CVs on propeller shafts along with some other Jeeps and I'm reasonably sure this is with live front/rear axles, so the shafts/joints are moving all over the place compared to a fixed diff on IFS/IRS.

I could be wrong though.

This pic doesn't show the joint breakdown corresponding with the overall diagram, but the diagram appears to show CVs on both ends of the front driveshaft with UJs on the the rear driveshaft.

PostPosted: May 7, 2020, 4:49 pm 

Just for laughs, you could ask differential guy what it would cost to center the darn input shaft. Then you can balance hassle/simplicity vs cost. You surely dont have to spend what I did...I REALLY wanted that Alfa rear cause its so purty.
Paul