LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 27, 2024, 8:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: August 31, 2022, 7:23 am 

I'm looking at the various japanese diffs easily available to me, and they all appear to have an offfset input flange.

Would you mount the housing so that it is central to the car, or would you mount it offset so the input shaft is central?

PostPosted: August 31, 2022, 8:43 am 

My W.A.G. would be whatever puts the wheels where they need to be, assuming you don't want to go into custom/alternate length axles.

http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=20899

PostPosted: August 31, 2022, 11:00 am 

More info is required. If using a stock, unadulterated diff, then JAMADOR has it right. Fit the wheels centered with the car. I you are altering the axle lengths then whatever you want to do. If building with an IRS, then mount it however it fits and make the axles as-required. BTW, an offset pinion shaft is normal for most vehicles.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: August 31, 2022, 11:06 am 

To fit my AE86 axle in my next "Lotus" size Locost, I will be getting one axle shaft shortened (or remade) to center the pinion. Otherwise the passenger seat is too narrow.

PostPosted: August 31, 2022, 12:37 pm 

Just thinking out loud, and asking, would asymmetric axle shafts here introduce a torque effect on the vehicle? Maybe it's worthwhile to measure the original axles and see if they're the same length?

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: August 31, 2022, 3:05 pm 

A million Ford 8.8's would probably say "no."

PostPosted: August 31, 2022, 7:00 pm 

SkinnyG wrote:
A million Ford 8.8's would probably say "no."

Makes sense in a live axle car. In an IRS car unequal length axles will put asymmetric loads on the tie-rods. As long as those are robust (they should be anyway) I expect you'd be fine. Where I could see trouble is if the control arms have bushings - those could deflect differently side to side and cause a car to not want to track straight under acceleration.

PostPosted: September 1, 2022, 2:17 am 

rx7locost wrote:
More info is required. If using a stock, unadulterated diff, then JAMADOR has it right. Fit the wheels centered with the car. I you are altering the axle lengths then whatever you want to do. If building with an IRS, then mount it however it fits and make the axles as-required. BTW, an offset pinion shaft is normal for most vehicles.

Sure, I'm looking into using either a Miata or R160 diff, though I'm designing the frame in solidworks first to get a better understanding of what's going on.
So it will be an IRS setup and I'm happy to get modified axles made up.

PostPosted: September 1, 2022, 9:59 am 

With the IRS your have the choice of equal length half-shafts or centering the pinion. IIRC my offset was ~7/8". I figured moving the engine and diff, might help a small amount to balance out, a driver with no passenger. I did have to widen the tunnel to accommodate the pinion flange as it was forward of the rear bulkhead.

For a low power car, I was successful cutting and splicing the RX-7 axles with my 120V Welder. They ran without issue for over 6K miles at which time I sold the car. You can see the way I did it here:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=4145&start=37

Form another comment of mine elsewhere:
Quote:
I cut a piece of splice tubing in half longitudenally so I could align the axle halfs into a Vee block to center the halfs for welding. The real splice was slid onto one of the axle pieces and the 1/2 tube was on the other. This way the splice and 1/2tube were kept centered in the vee block and the axles were centered in them. I had about .005 clearance between the axle and the ID of the splice to make this happen.

I did check runout of the finished assembly and found it to be less than 1/32". I figured that would be close enough for me as wheels, which run the same RPM, are often this much out of round.

BTW, JD did a similar thing with his Ford V8 build. He did have a failure early on. As I recall, it was because he didn't use a tube over the welded joint . He fixed it by adding one and never had a problem, even running big fat racing tires. YMMV

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: September 3, 2022, 11:09 am 

@RTz

Yes, I was thinking of the IRS case. Thanks for the info.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: September 7, 2022, 11:33 am 

I used a 1986 Toyota AE86 live axle, and I offset my transmission tunnel to line up better with the rear driveshaft flange. The main advantage is to increase the driver's pedal space, which is at a premium in a book sized frame. A friend has a real Lotus 7, and it does not have a dead pedal, which I wanted and needed.
I used early Miata seats. I dismantled the passenger seat, narrowed the frame, and reinstalled the upholstery. I'm really happy with the result.

PostPosted: September 7, 2022, 10:21 pm 

blownmiata91 wrote:
I used a 1986 Toyota AE86 live axle, and I offset my transmission tunnel to line up better with the rear driveshaft flange. The main advantage is to increase the driver's pedal space, which is at a premium in a book sized frame. A friend has a real Lotus 7, and it does not have a dead pedal, which I wanted and needed.
I used early Miata seats. I dismantled the passenger seat, narrowed the frame, and reinstalled the upholstery. I'm really happy with the result.

Unfortunately won't work well in RHD countries as it will have the opposite effect.

PostPosted: September 7, 2022, 10:45 pm 

I would never think to say something as unromantic as this being LocostUSA.

PostPosted: September 7, 2022, 11:53 pm 

RTz wrote:
I would never think to say something as unromantic as this being LocostUSA.

Ha! Yea I forget about that. This is also the largest forum on the matter and easiest to use (as most thing american seem to be when population numbers help contribute). But that's digressing.

PostPosted: September 10, 2022, 5:46 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

Offsetting the case to place the pinion for the tunnel is ok if you remember that the max wheel travel and alignment specs are reduced on the short axle side.

Build the car to fit the oem parts.
1) The tunnel width needed to clear a centered case (pinion offset 1/2 inch typically), the driveshaft and yokes plus a 1/2 inch.
2) The overall cockpit width for the hip space needed. Squabs and separate side panels are all that is needed and minimize the width needed.
3) Choose a diff that comes in a wide enough track (center of tire to tire) that the inside edge of the tires clear the cockpit by an inch each side, that will clear the diff donor original offset rims. Otherwise, you may need adapters (even if keeping the same wheel bolt patter) which have studs versus spacers that are weaker.
4) a dedion based rear suspension makes a lot of sense and is a better fit than most IRS suspensions.
5) You can scale book design to this size or just have a greater taper to the front body/chassis.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12