LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 4, 2024, 12:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: February 12, 2024, 12:30 pm 

Speeduino has that option as well.
You can have dumb(2 pin coils on plug) coils, or smart(3 pin coil on plug) plugs.
For the dumb one, you will need a Ford EDIS unit and some spark plug wires, that run to each spark plug.

'20 Alfa Romeo Stelvio daily
Locost/442E in progress

PostPosted: February 12, 2024, 4:33 pm 

Been a while since I left CA. I know it's not something everyone has to consider but do you have to pass a visual smog to get a registration in CA? Here in CT we have similar stringent smog tests. For a kit car you are exempt from the physical smog test if your donor is over 25yo. However, the car must pass a state road worthiness inspection. Which includes a visual exam of the smog system to ensure it is "complete for the year of the engine"

Do any of these aftermarket EFI/ECU system pass CARB??? or are you exempt from all inspections?

After market ECU in most application are race only due to the CARB mandates. I would check that before deciding one way or another.

Unless your going to forced injection a stock ECU is probably best. I'm not a fuel injection expert by any means, but from my understanding you need good wide band O2 and MAF readings to really take advantage of the better functionality of the new fuel injection systems. I don't think your motor would be set up with wide band O2 sensors and the best MAF. That early fuel injection is nothing like todays stuff. It would be like buying a new computer and connection to the internet on dial-up.

It looks like the 1993 had multi port fuel injection? I think that's probably plenty good. You could spend well over 1k on a custom ECU to make the fuel injection worse than factory.

Norwich, CT

PostPosted: February 12, 2024, 6:21 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

scott322 wrote:
...Here in CT we have similar stringent smog tests. For a kit car you are exempt from the physical smog test if your donor is over 25yo. However, the car must pass a state road worthiness inspection. Which includes a visual exam of the smog system to ensure it is "complete for the year of the engine"

Do any of these aftermarket EFI/ECU system pass CARB??? or are you exempt from all inspections?...

In California, thanks to the SB100 rule, self-built cars are completely exempt from all CARB requirements. Related to your second question, aftermarket ECUs are legal ONLY on a self-built car.

A manufacturer of aftermarket ECUs (AEM) kept getting pinged by the government regarding people using their ECUs in OEM cars. AEM sold recently to Holley, and they decided the nagging wasn't worth the risk, and ceased all production - sucks for existing customers, one of whom was me, but through dumb luck I had already sold my car.