LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 2:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 210 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
PostPosted: January 11, 2015, 1:46 pm 

Driven5 wrote:
bob wrote:
Not finished yet but I think the 302 ford I am using after going on a diet is under 350lbs...

Bob

Is this as weighed by you with all noted components, or are there any approximations or second hand weights involved?

A bit of both really, I weighed a roller cam 302 which is the heaviest of them complete with all the lifters,pushrods,sump,flywheel,steel pulleys, waterpump, head bolts etc and put the stack on top . That weighs app 277.2lbs. I still have to weigh the ali heads with the valves in which will be app 30lbs each and the rocker covers. To deduct from the weight will be the lighter pulleys , the shallow sump, the lifting chain and the lighter overall weight of the non roller 302. 350lbs or under is a realistic complete weight. Neither engines include a distributor because I am going crank fired wasted spark.

Bob

Mancave http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/mypic ... ow/mancave

Last edited by bob on January 11, 2015, 4:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: January 11, 2015, 1:59 pm 

A stock roller cam 302 with iron heads complete but minus inlet manifold carb and rocker covers is 348.3lbs

PostPosted: January 11, 2015, 2:34 pm 
The voice of reason

Thanks for posting those pictures and weights Bob. That's very encouraging. I had thought the roller block itself was lighter than the old blocks, is that not true?

PostPosted: January 11, 2015, 4:30 pm 

horizenjob wrote:
Thanks for posting those pictures and weights Bob. That's very encouraging. I had thought the roller block itself was lighter than the old blocks, is that not true?

I weighed a few blocks including a boss block and there is about 30lbs difference between them all, the roller block may have been the heaviest because it had not been in the Bupi and de gunked, it was also on a standard bore. The mexican blocks I am told are slightly heavier.

I thought I may as well carry on weighing things while the scales were out. The Getrag 265 gearbox and bellhousing with the starter I am using weighs 89.1 lbs. so the only thing to add weight wise is the triple plate clutch which is packed away but I would guess is about 15lbs. So a 302 ford thats been on a diet with a manual 5 speed getrag box complete should be very close to or slightly under 450lbs

Bob

PostPosted: January 11, 2015, 6:00 pm 
The voice of reason

It would be nice to have the weight of the transmission/bellhousing without a starter, we do track those somewhere. It appears to be about the same weight as the T5.

PostPosted: August 2, 2015, 12:35 am 

Haven't seen an accurate weight for the Honda J series V6, so I thought I would weigh the one I bought for my build.

2000 J32A1 from an Acura TL.

As pulled from the car, exhaust, a/c compressor, alternator, flexplate, wiring harness, but no p/s pump. 399.7 lbs.
Attachment:
full weight 1.jpg

Attachment:
full weight.jpg

Stripped of stuff not going into my build. 356.8 lbs.
Attachment:
stripped weight 1.jpg

Attachment:
stripped weight.jpg

Weighed the 2000 Mazda Miata 6 speed transmission that will also go in. 88.7 lbs.
Attachment:
trans weight.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: August 15, 2015, 5:07 pm 

Gents,
For what it's worth I weighed an LDK ecotec (European/sand-cast version of the LNF used in the cobalt/solstice/sky/hhr). This is the 2L turbo engine. I only had bathroom scales so take it it a grain of salt, but i did it a few times so I think it's close.

- Long block w/o balance shafts or manifolds, but with aasco aluminum flywheel (cobalt version) and complete head w/injectors: 259lb
- Long block (same as above), but with clutch: 272lb
- Ford type 9 transmission with aluminum case (dry): 74lb

Daniel

PostPosted: August 27, 2015, 9:35 am 

I just weighed up my BMW M52TU motor out of a '99 528. It rang in at 550 lbs fully dressed and complete. That is exhaust manifolds and cats, PS pump, AC pump and complete tansmission including oil and residual water. This is the aluminum block 2.8 liter 6 cylinder. I will update with reduced weights as I strip it down.

PostPosted: August 27, 2015, 2:24 pm 
The voice of reason

Thanks for the weight, Dave. The weight of transmission would be good when you get them apart. For the motor the weight without pumps and cats but including the intake, flywheel and clutch is good for comparison in this thread.

And we love pictures!

PostPosted: September 5, 2015, 3:55 am 

Here is what the engine looks like that I weighed a few posts up. ~270lbs as shown.

Daniel

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: January 5, 2016, 4:37 am 

It should make close to 200 hp at the flywheel with the big carb and headers. :roll:

PostPosted: January 14, 2016, 1:05 am 

Put my LS3/TKO drivetrain on the scale.
Attachment:
P1134068-1.jpg

As weighed, the LS3 has stock cast iron headers and no starter, alternator, P/S pump or A/C compressor. The pan is the short (Corvette) pan with an aftermarket windage tray. Everything else is “as-shipped factory crate motor” at this point. There are no fluids in the motor. The ECU and engine harness were not included in the weight.
Attachment:
P1134066-1.jpg

The TKO600 is also dry (est. 105 lbs.) Inside the steel bellhousing (22 lbs.) is an ACT clutch/flywheel package (44 lbs.) along with a Tilton hydraulic throw-out bearing (est. 2 lbs.)

I couldn’t get my new scale to switch from kg. to lbs. so I had to do the math (actually the web did it for me :oops: ):
Attachment:
P1134070-1.jpg

252 kg. = 556 lbs. total drivetrain weight.

The bellhousing and aft components above total an estimated 173 lbs.

So the LS3 comes in at about 383 lbs. dressed as shown. That’s pretty close to the 390 lbs. I was expecting. Not bad for 480hp. :chev:

My Car9 build: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14613
"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

Ultima Spyder, Northstar 4.0, Porsche G50/52

PostPosted: January 14, 2016, 9:54 am 

No pictures because I did it early part of last year when I built the car.. but the Mercedes M104 3.2 straight six, with all accessories (AC compressor, power steering, alternator, air pump, EGR system) was 541lbs.

With a long block, flexplate, intake and cast iron exhaust manifolds and the alternator, it weighed in at 421-425lbs dry.

Driven5 wrote:
Forced Induction + Magic Spinning Doritos = EMod

PostPosted: May 7, 2016, 5:02 pm 

oh this is a thread I can get into.

ImageEngineer: noun en·gi·neer \ˌen-jə-ˈnir\ - Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge. (See also: wizard, magician, sorcerer, witch, miracle worker)

PostPosted: May 24, 2016, 10:54 pm 

This is a great thread!

The new Ford 2.3 Ecoboost looks like a great motor for a build. It makes 350HP stock and can easily do 400HP with a few bolt-ons and a tune.

Does anyone know what the weight of the Ford 2.3 Ecoboost is?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 210 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next