LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 19, 2024, 4:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 210 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
PostPosted: September 8, 2013, 6:44 am 

Ok Guys, here's one I've been waiting a long time to see verified, the Rover 3500 (Buick 215) and it's a stunner, 150kgs/330lbs only missing exhaust manifolds and clutch (manual flywheel was on). Although not pictured, the water pump was on when weighed and theres a few spots that a bit more weight could be pared (such as the air con front pulley and power steering pump bracket that was still on and flywheel could have some meat removed) so the 315lb weight reported is very realistic.

Outstandingly light, just compare it to some of the 4 cylinders in this thread.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: November 1, 2013, 7:20 pm 

Just weighed a Duratec 2.5. This engine is used, junkyard drained of fluids. Minus starter, alternator, ps pump, AC. With flexplate, manifolds and a full buttload of wiring, 265 pounds. Stripped down to flex plate and injectors, 235 lbs.

Bill

PostPosted: November 1, 2013, 10:20 pm 

Bill,

Is that the 2.5 4 banger or the V-6? I have a new in the crate 3.0 V-6 Duratec I should weigh.

Tom

My short term memory is absolutely horrible and so is my short term memory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG16m2e4O6I

PostPosted: November 2, 2013, 6:35 am 

Off Road SHO wrote:
Bill,

Is that the 2.5 4 banger or the V-6? I have a new in the crate 3.0 V-6 Duratec I should weigh.

Tom

It is a four banger. Silly me.

Bill

PostPosted: May 10, 2014, 8:03 am 

Here is a somewhat dark photo of the 2.5, ready to drop into the Alpine.

The engine weighs 320 pounds including stock Ranger flywheel, clutch and starter, fabricated intake and header, motor mounts, alternator and alternator mount. Also includes the AC mount, but not the AC pump or radiator fan. The transmission weighs 95 pounds, including the remote shifter. Weights are "junkyard dry". Can't really tell in the photo, but the assembly is almost perfectly balanced, hanging from attachment at the #4 plug.

The engine "innards" are all stock.

Bill

PostPosted: May 23, 2014, 1:29 am 

Hi, Can you tell me what car and model the manual trans was from, at 95lbs that would make it reasonably beefy,i assume its attached to a 2500cc engine, would it cope with a 4lt lexus v8 or better yet a BMW v12
many thanks.

PostPosted: May 28, 2014, 8:07 am 

The transmission is from a Ford Ranger. The buzz on the internet is they are good for about 350 hp. Yes, the engine is a 2.5, complete with balance shafts. Out of a 2010 Fusion. I used the Ranger flywheel and starter.

Bill

PostPosted: July 3, 2014, 4:12 pm 

I weighed my 1990 Turbo Miata (1.6L) with 5 speed transmission. This has turbo and all accessories, ready to run minus wiring and intercooler/piping. Note this even had about 4' of exhaust. 410#

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: November 18, 2014, 12:11 am 

BBlue wrote:
Just weighed a Duratec 2.5. This engine is used, junkyard drained of fluids. Minus starter, alternator, ps pump, AC. With flexplate, manifolds and a full buttload of wiring, 265 pounds. Stripped down to flex plate and injectors, 235 lbs.

Bill

Nice, that lines up with mine - just weighed the block from a 2.5 L 2012 Fusion and it came in at 219.5 lbs.

This did not include COPs, starter, AC compressor, exhaust and inlet manifolds, wiring harness, belt tensioner, oil, and balance shafts.

It did include the block, injectors, fuel rail, valve cover, harmonic balancer, water pump, and the flexplate.

Since the balance shafts were removed and came in at 18.8 lbs, our numbers seem to jive.

The AC compressor came in at 13.6 lbs and will not be used (just an FYI). The flex plate will be weighed when I can figure out how to get the bolts off without an impact wrench, but it looks to be 4-5 lbs. Also need to add a pilot bearing, which won't be much.

PostPosted: November 19, 2014, 10:57 pm 

The complete BMW M42 and getrag 5 speed tranny comes in at 427 lbs including intake, factory header, and A/C compressor

http://vorshlag.smugmug.com/Projects/BMW-E36-LS1-Beta-Project/Cimg5229/142053371_w3v4X-M-1.jpg

My build: http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=16005

PostPosted: January 10, 2015, 6:25 am 

Not finished yet but I think the 302 ford I am using after going on a diet is under 350lbs , Ali heads, ali waterpump, smaller sump, silly nascar flywheel+ clutch , small alternator, reduction gear starter, ali pulleys and stack FI all nip off a few llbs but add up to a lot. There was something like a 90lb difference between the Ali heads plus lightweight flywheel and its cast iron originals. When its bolted to the gearbox I will weigh it as a complete unit.

Bob

Mancave http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/mypic ... ow/mancave

PostPosted: January 11, 2015, 4:34 am 

With all the debating about engine weights, I always remember colin chapman and keith duckworth discussing the cosworth v8 that cosworth had just developed, this was in the 60s..keith said "it makes 400hp and weighs 400lbs..chapman said "thats good" ..I always remember that when im thinking my motor may need to go on a diet.Its 313lbs with 350hp , so I'm in the right ball park I think.Its good to have alight engine but im not going to obsess over it.

PostPosted: January 11, 2015, 6:54 am 

[quote="wayne-o" I think.Its good to have alight engine but im not going to obsess over it.[/quote]

I agree Wayne but :) ......................................................................................................................................................
About fifteen years ago I was surrounded by westfield builders while I played with Cobra`s and Duttons . Some had the pinto 2ltr engine while most had the kent 1600 but one had the v8 rover in it (SE8 http://www.zipp.co.uk/search/gallery/westfield+se8 ) Over a period of time I managed to get a drive in most of them and although the 8 was monstrously quicker than the rest it just never turned in or responded in the corners or braked like the smaller four pots, you could actually feel the extra weight high in the front as it lurched the car over in fast turns. The engine in the SE8 was pulled forward to allow the gear box with the massive v8 bellhousing to clear the gear tunnel and also pulled up in the frame to allow the sump to clear the road ( it still used to ground out on braking ). It was IMHO this that spoiled what would have been an awesome car. Its for this reason alone I am dropping the engine as low as possible, keeping it as light as possible and shoving it back as far as possible, at the end of the day we are talking about a smaller flywheel/bellhousing combo and a shallow or dry sump. From my driving experiences of this type of car the weight is probably not as critical because the pinto is the same weight as the Rover V8 but its location is and poor weight distribution has a serious affect on braking , traction and handling.

Bob

Mancave http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/mypic ... ow/mancave

PostPosted: January 11, 2015, 8:55 am 

The vertical weight distribution of the Pinto is probably worse than the Rover's. The Pinto head is incredibly heavy and the stock sump is deep. At least the ones available on this side of the pond.

That leaves fore/aft weight distribution or chassis differences.

Bill

PostPosted: January 11, 2015, 12:07 pm 

bob wrote:
Not finished yet but I think the 302 ford I am using after going on a diet is under 350lbs...

Bob

Is this as weighed by you with all noted components, or are there any approximations or second hand weights involved?

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 210 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next