LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 16, 2024, 2:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: new builder
PostPosted: March 3, 2006, 5:28 pm 
hey all new to the sight i have had the ron champion book for about four years now but have not been able to do anything with it due to going through a divorce but now all is settled so i started looking on the net for info and found you guys and am i glad i did i was starting to think anly people in the uk had any sites up so hopefully i can learn from those of you with experience and try and add a little of my own ideas. my first question is has anybody used a isuzu pickup for a donor? i just picked one up that was someones project for only $400 as i am going through it i started looking at all the pieces and thinking that it might make a good donor. any input on this would be appreciated.
thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 3, 2006, 7:18 pm 
I think I saw an isuzu on a list of possible donors, but where I dunno. The 2 most popular donors over here seem to be a Miata or Chevy S-10. Which of course is why I am shredding BMW's - gotta be different. OK not really - the price was right and I'm cheap, er frugal yeah!
I think just about any RWD manual vehicle has the potential to look like a seven it just depends on how many things you are comfortable figuring out for yourself.
Welcome to our forum!

Eric
Locostmonkey

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 3, 2006, 9:08 pm 
I'm not sure about the steering rack, and the front knuckles, but I am pretty sure that the rest of the truck should be good to go. Anyway, anything can be used as a donor, its just a question as to how much time engergy and money you want to spend.

I for one would like to see some photos of the isuzu front suspension if you care to share.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 3, 2006, 10:48 pm 

Welcome to you from Shawnee, Ks. I have a British made locost that I drive up here. If you're up here sometime give me a shout, Russ

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 3, 2006, 11:04 pm 
Welcome and greetings from Sedgwick, KS

No answer for your question but just to let you know that I have been on the road now for 1.5 years with my Stalker V6.

If you are interested in seeing what one of those look like, you are in luck! I haven't begun the rebuilding, yet!

Paul
Stalker V6 #12
http://members.cox.net/p.herder

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 4, 2006, 12:36 am 

Hello and welcome to the forum. I had no idea KS was so well represented here. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 4, 2006, 1:14 am 
derf the truck is not together at this point (it was a project they where going to lowrider it...hopefully i have saved it from a horrible fate)but i do know that it is a worm and sector style steering so i will have to do something different for a rack (what works good available here in the states easily)one problem is it is a six lug hub so wheels might be limited in the sport car style (probably only truck wheels ..ugh) i might just use the engine and tranny still not sure..
hello to all the kansas residents i would really like to take a look at your machines maybe sit in them so i can get a feel for how much room i will have?
how difficult is it to register these things at the dmv here? is there a rule book to go by like the SVA talked about in the UK?

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 4, 2006, 12:53 pm 

Ks can be a pain if you don't have all your ducks in a row. Document everything and have vin's for all used parts and you should be OK. Mine was already built when I got but not properly titled so I had to go back twice. I talked to several hot rodders there at the insp. station that had been there several times and still had not passed. Anytime you want a ride contact me at "trialsman at kc.rr.com"

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 4, 2006, 5:42 pm 
trialsman, where is shawnee from wichita? not real familiar with it

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 4, 2006, 6:39 pm 

north on I35 about 190 miles. It is a burb of KC

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 4, 2006, 7:46 pm 
okay a little out of the way right now
PHerder where is sedgwick from wichita ? i was told just north west is this right?
would i be able to come take a look some time?
maybe catch a ride around?

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 4, 2006, 9:09 pm 
The town of Sedgwick is at 125th Street North and Ridge Road (i.e. ~ 15 miles North of Wichita.)

Just a little closer than KC! :mrgreen:

A ride probably can be arranged. All I would need is a couple of hours to charge the battery and I believe it would be ready to go.

I see that you have visited my web page, just send a private email (located near the bottom of the 1st page) and we can discuss when ... Tomorrow ~ mid-afternoon would be good for me but I will only have an hour or two to spend with you.

LMK

Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 4, 2006, 10:01 pm 
Locostering Information Liaison

Welcome Aboard

To err is human...
I am more human than most.