LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 8:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Toyota donors
PostPosted: September 18, 2005, 11:14 pm 
1st gen corrolas or celicas are 4cyl RWD and i think they would work well for the most part. besides the suspention which the sturuts might pose a problem. im planing my build to be based on a ae86 Carbed engine and tran. The Supra is a 6cyl twin turbo motor that is RWD and it could work provided you made some serious chassis mods. The 4g63 might work as previously mentioned but that motor is so unreliable that i wouldnt even attempt it unless it is the "Evo" motor of the jdm cyclone motor. The 240sx would work as well as the 300z an 84-88 dodge colt is a mitsu motor and i belive the turbo colt (or mitsu mirage is RWD)

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 18, 2005, 11:30 pm 
This might be helpful...

http://www.jeeps-offroad.com/showthread.php?t=4740

Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 21, 2005, 9:41 pm 
Dave wrote:
Moonsteel wrote:
I'm new to Locost , however

All 60 deg GM V6's bolt to T5's?
According to that website this motor has been in production since 1980.
Seems like a great choice for a locost.
Am I missing something?

Its a little tall - need a hood scoupe. It is very light for a V6 though.

There is a zillion variations on the T5 - I'd stick to ones out of F-Bodies and S10s.

The Stalker V6 is principally designed around the 60DegV6.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 1, 2005, 7:18 pm 
I'm SERIOUSLY considering the MKIII 1988-1992 Toyota Supra turbo (7M-GTE engine) It'll make 500-600 horsepower with an upgraded exhaust, head gasket, and a bigger turbo.

The 7M-GTE comes in both naturally aspirated and turbo, but weighs more than twice as much as a 4A-GE. It's also longer, taller, and wider, but I've heard that a +442 chassis should fit the engine.

I'm mainly thinking of this engine because it seems like it would be easier to get a good transmission/axle than with a 4A-GE. I've only seen one corolla GTS on the road in 6 months, but supras seem to be everywhere, most importantly there are tons of them in the junkyards near here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 1, 2005, 10:17 pm 
Yes 2nd gen supras would make good donors, except for 1 reason, the engines are quite tall. They are indestructable, and can take tons of power without a problem. The only problem is that the chassis could not take 500+, it would twist and bend and the welds would break. The chassis is designed for speed through weight, not speed through power.

PostPosted: November 4, 2005, 8:11 pm 
Looks like the Saturn 1.9 will mate to a Toyota truck trans:

http://www.rockstomper.com/images/produ ... 240406.jpg

The 1.9 is all aluminum, as is the Toy trans. This may be one of the few all-Al RWD combos. 130hp stock, some aftermarket.
http://www.autofieldguide.com/articles/099803.html

Open questions:

Were there adapters needed?

Still work with 2wd or car trans?

(Thus continuing the trend of pilfering tech from the 4-wheeler crowd:))

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 19, 2006, 9:40 pm 
found on one of the links

Quote:
~"Blunt Force Trauma"
Fords Lima engine has been known around the world as a reliable mill that just needed a better head to work right. Funny thing is that the DOHC Volvo 760 turbo and head setup is just the ticket for making a 125 horse 2.5L Ranger engine into a 435 hp 390 ft/lb terror.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 19, 2006, 11:20 pm 

jestre wrote:
found on one of the links

Quote:
~"Blunt Force Trauma"
Fords Lima engine has been known around the world as a reliable mill that just needed a better head to work right. Funny thing is that the DOHC Volvo 760 turbo and head setup is just the ticket for making a 125 horse 2.5L Ranger engine into a 435 hp 390 ft/lb terror.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

that is a pretty well known setup but its a turbo 2.3L + Volvo DOHC head. Too bad its ends up weighing a touch more than a 302 V8

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 24, 2006, 2:24 am 
Anyone ever think of using a Chrysler Conquest/Mitsubishi Starion or Mitsubishi Mighty Max as a donor? Dont know much specifics about them, I am just a Mitsu lover at heart and are the only two RWD vehicles offered in the states :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 24, 2006, 2:40 pm 
There are lots of people who play with the Conquests, etc. Plenty of aftermarket upgrades available for it. They are also pretty inexpensive most of the time, particularly the ones without the wide fender flares. I have heard the 89 Conquest is the most powerful, but not much else.

Is the Mighty Max the small pickup?

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 24, 2006, 10:44 pm 
Locostering Information Liaison

Calvin Yes made by Mitsubishi...Mopar did some heavy cuddling with mitsubishi for several years....

I forget the exact models but the colt was a clone. There was lots of engine sharring

To err is human...
I am more human than most.

Last edited by mr.peabody.d on February 26, 2006, 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 26, 2006, 2:15 pm 

There is one of those Mitsu Mighty Max/Dodge pickups for sale here locally with a turbo diesel engine. Only $600 but it needs a new head. If someone was hell bent on going diesel that would be the easiest way to go. Otherwise I have no idea why a person would go down that path.

I saw a pic of the truck and it is black, purple, orange and hard on the eyes.

Hope no one is eating:

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 28, 2006, 1:19 am 
lol thats awesome.

The Mitsu Starion/Chrysler Conquest are the same thing. RWD Turbo/NT coupe. Believe they used a 2.5L 4cyl. The 89/90 Mitsu Mirage/Dodge Colt are the same thing, 2dr FWD hatch. Came with either a turbo or nt 4g61 4cyl.

Not too many RWD Mitsu combos, but take it for what its worth :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 28, 2006, 1:35 am 

sethmo wrote:
lol thats awesome.

The Mitsu Starion/Chrysler Conquest are the same thing. RWD Turbo/NT coupe. Believe they used a 2.5L 4cyl. The 89/90 Mitsu Mirage/Dodge Colt are the same thing, 2dr FWD hatch. Came with either a turbo or nt 4g61 4cyl.

Not too many RWD Mitsu combos, but take it for what its worth :P

Dodge Colt (70s), Plymouth Sapparo, Hyundai Pony, Hyundai Stellar would be some more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 28, 2006, 10:10 am 
Conquest/Starion had an independant rear suspension. And some cool wheels, 5x4.5" bolt pattern that could work pretty well.... (I just remembered the early ones are 4 bolt rims).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next