LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 5:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: December 22, 2006, 7:22 pm 
Locostering Information Liaison

So it looks like a 1994 Northstar (or newer) is RWD-able with a modern Cadillac SRX or XLR bellhousing and transmission. (Verify before spending money though!)

http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1433

To err is human...
I am more human than most.

Post subject: Chevy Colorado
PostPosted: January 6, 2007, 12:19 pm 

I just looked at one of these, very interesting. They have an inline 5 cylinder and front coilover suspension, might be a good choice if you could find a rear or Tbone collision on the cheap.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Colorado

"The ultimate skill is to take up a position where you are formless." Sun Tzu

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 12, 2007, 7:21 pm 

so i see you have the mazda 3 motor listed up there. any clue as to what trannsmission hooks up to it? is it the ranger transmission? what modification is needed?

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 4, 2007, 12:47 pm 

Nice find by "Jamessl"

Quote:
Thought you guys might find this info useful. It gives info on what bell housings interchange with what engines:
http://www.jeeps-offroad.com/tech-artic ... sings.html

From the article:
Quote:
The Jeep/Dodge AX15 5-speed, the Jeep NV3550 5-speed, the Jeep NV1500, the Toyota R150F & R151F, the 87-92 Toyota Supra Turbo R154, the Isuzu AR5 and the Pontiac Solstice\Saturn Sky\Chevy Colorado\ GMC Canyon MA5 5-speeds all share the same case to bellhousing bolt pattern (Large Pattern). As such there are a number of possibilities that can be had when a 5-speed is desired:

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 15, 2007, 5:54 pm 
Locostering Information Liaison

Just passing on an instersting web site I stumbled upon maybe be of some help to some interesting for others.

http://www.answers.com/topic/list-of-au ... perlatives

To err is human...
I am more human than most.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 20, 2007, 10:19 am 

LX5 GM 3.5 DOHC Short Star 215 hp 230 tq 340 lbs w cast iron manifolds and a few pulleys if any are looking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 23, 2007, 3:04 pm 

Some good information here on Mazda Engines:
http://members.aol.com/solomiata/MX5Engine.html

Lots of good stuff there, here's a quote:

Quote:
Mazda makes 5 'boinger' [piston] engine families. They are:
# 'J' 90 degree v6 (as in the 3.0L 929 and MPV)
# 'K' 60 degree V6 (1.8 MX3, 2.0, 2.3 Millenia, 93+ 2.5 MX6/Probe)
# 'B' 4 cylinder (323, Protege, Miata)
# 'F' 4 cylinder (B2000/B2200, 78-92 F/FE/F2/F2T 626/MX6, 93+ FS 626/MX6)
# 'G' 4 cylinder (B2600, MPV)
The DOHC 'J' is generally too wide for the Miata engine bay. Mazdaspeed M2 had done a swap of this engine back in 92 as an engineering exercise and is the only one known to exist. The SOHC fits but why, it's only 165 hp and not really matched to the Miata.

The 'K' engines are not designed for RWD and not only do the manifolds and plumbing not line up correctly for RWD but it will have oil starvation problems if used as such. MCA tried a swap of it back in 93 but was stillborn. The Susuki variant of the engine as used in the Vitara has real possibilities though! This swap has been talked about at length in the Miatapower list list and 'ask Bob' at Miata.net.

The 'F' engines are the 'big blocks' of the 4 cylinders. They are long stroke motors and are generally not designed for high revs. All were cast iron SOHC with the exception of the FS and FE3. The FE3 has been used here in the states in the Kia Sportage and has real possibilities for a Miata swap. I'm going to be installing a 2.3 version in a Miata this winter. I have written about it in the Miatapower list.

Any swap would require a tranny swap (or integrated bellhousing swap) too since none of the other engine families use the same bellhousing bolt pattern. I am using the B2200 truck tranny (w/Miata gears and a Miata PPF tailshaft housing) for my swap.

Post subject: possible motors
PostPosted: October 22, 2007, 10:47 pm 

what about the vq motors out of the 350/g35 and the rest. its a v6 decent aftermarket support. its the way i would go if i could find one wrecked. the track has brembos, nice suspension, stout motor, 6sp, lsd! any one checked one of these out?

Post subject: Re: possible motors
PostPosted: October 22, 2007, 11:01 pm 

perfor.element wrote:
what about the vq motors out of the 350/g35 and the rest. its a v6 decent aftermarket support. its the way i would go if i could find one wrecked. the track has brembos, nice suspension, stout motor, 6sp, lsd! any one checked one of these out?

Yeah there are lots of cool cars we could be pulling drivetrains from if we had the money. I'd like to use the Sky Redline or Chrysler SRT-6 drivetrain if money were no object. Stick around for 10 years and you'll probably see a lot of people building from such badass donors. :P Nowadays they are just too pricey for most of us, however if you can afford it then go for it. I'd love to see it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 15, 2008, 3:03 am 

Subaru ej20 and ej25.

Available turboed, tons of aftermarket, and readily available jdm. Though not the cheapest thing in the world, if you could find a wrecked donor you'd be set.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 15, 2008, 11:25 am 

tomtom wrote:
Subaru ej20 and ej25.

Available turboed, tons of aftermarket, and readily available jdm. Though not the cheapest thing in the world, if you could find a wrecked donor you'd be set.

Sadly they won't really fit in a locost build will they? They are pretty wide engines IIRC and they might be tough to mate to a Locost friendly RWD transmission.

Might make a nice middy powerplant though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 16, 2008, 2:06 am 

Youre dead on about the size issue, I forgot to mention that. Far too wide to fit into a book, or even a +4, but in a middy they can fit the bill nicely. A front engine rear drive system would need a significantly wider chassis, requiring more weight and less 7 look to it, but adding some comfort to the cockpit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 2, 2008, 6:33 am 

A subaru manual trans can be made into a RWD trans by taking out the front diff and welding the center diff or if you have access to a machine shop making something solid to replace the center diff.

PostPosted: April 7, 2008, 11:07 am 

I happened to notice that there is a concentric hydraulic throw-out bearing specifically for the Ford T5 transmission in the latest Behrent's catalog (received March 2008). The only designation for this catalog that I can find is that it is "Volume VIII" and appears to be the first catalog of 2008. The part is on page 104. The catalog shows a picture with a caption, but when I entered that part number on their web site search engine, it came up empty.

Street Hydraulic Release Bearings
RAM street hydraulic release bearings are perfect for custom builds, kit cars, or other applications where the standard release mechanism may not fit. Bearings feature .700 inch travel, and are designed to work with up to a 3/4 inch master cylinder. Kits include the release bearing, bleed kit, and mounting hardware.

Ford T-5 transmission 1.435" collar RAM78130 $183.88

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 8, 2008, 9:14 pm 

http://www.behrents.com/catalog/behrent/

Their online catalog takes a while to load. I also couldn't find the part with the search engine but it's listed in the catalog on page 104 as stated by Locost_Johnh

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next