LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 16, 2024, 2:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: November 6, 2023, 9:41 am 

Hi everyone!

I´m building a Miata based Locost and am in the beginning of building the rear suspension ..

I´m wondering if the Miata rear uprights can swap sides, without any negative consequences?

Since the top A-arm mount is shifted to the front it would be beneficical to packaging if I could move the offset to the rear instead ...
The space could then be used for the shocks ..

Any input is highly valued!

How they should go;
Attachment:
20231105_140346.JPG

How I want to use them;
Attachment:
20231105_140300.JPG

And a general overview;
Attachment:
20231105_140617.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: November 6, 2023, 10:18 am 
Mid-Engined Maniac

I did that with Midlana for two reasons. It shifts the upper pick-up point, done for the same reason as you. It also points the E-brake cables toward the rear so they have a bigger bend radius to head forward. No problem.

PostPosted: November 6, 2023, 11:02 am 

I think I would be concerned with brake torque jacking on the rear suspension?

PostPosted: November 6, 2023, 12:34 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

It's been done many times. There is no change to jacking or anti-squat since the irs virtual swing arm (VSA) doesn't change. It would be a factor if it were ball joints top and bottom to where the axle made an arc with suspension travel in the side view.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: November 6, 2023, 9:14 pm 

Recommend for all of the above reasons. Caught me at a perfect time as the rear fenders are off for winter repairs.
Attachment:
20231106_190745.jpg

Attachment:
20231106_190821.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: November 7, 2023, 3:43 am 

That was easier than I imagined! :)

Perhaps my google-fu is going bad, I couldn't find any info on the topic, strange when ther's cars driving around built that way.. :oops:

Thanks everyone!

PostPosted: November 7, 2023, 3:48 am 

jaf wrote:
Recommend for all of the above reasons. Caught me at a perfect time as the rear fenders are off for winter repairs.
Attachment:
20231106_190745.jpg

Attachment:
20231106_190821.jpg

Your build was a real inspiration when I started my own, so thanks for that! Strange that I never noticed you flipped sides on the uprights.... :oops:

I see that you've put some miles down, have you had any problems with the rear diff mounting? I've gotten the impression that mixing hard and soft mounts can be a bad thing, and solid mounting the front while keeping the stock Miata upper bushings should really test that theory to the extreme.. :D

PostPosted: November 7, 2023, 6:25 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

Westfields come that way (time warp to 2007 posts).

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1770

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: November 8, 2023, 6:44 pm 

I am another that swapped uprights in the rear. No issues yet.

Chris
Build: NA Miata based +221 Se7en

PostPosted: November 8, 2023, 9:58 pm 

Fizz wrote:
Your build was a real inspiration when I started my own, so thanks for that! Strange that I never noticed you flipped sides on the uprights.... :oops:

I see that you've put some miles down, have you had any problems with the rear diff mounting? I've gotten the impression that mixing hard and soft mounts can be a bad thing, and solid mounting the front while keeping the stock Miata upper bushings should really test that theory to the extreme.. :D

Thanks for the compliment. Got lots of pics and happy to share.

For the diff I've had zero issues with the mounting design from a structural standpoint. It's been rock solid. The things that I have corrected since the original build is making enough room to mount a 1.8 Torsen diff, ensuring the mounting angle of the diff is 100% parallel with the transmission output, and providing a little more clearance for installation/removal.

I'll see if can update one of my posts to tell the story. Lots of lessons learned to share on that one.

PostPosted: November 8, 2023, 9:59 pm 

Fizz wrote:

For the diff I've had zero issues with the mounting design from a structural standpoint. It's been rock solid. The things that I have corrected since the original build is making enough room to mount a 1.8 Torsen diff, ensuring the mounting angle of the diff is 100% parallel with the transmission output, and providing a little more clearance for installation/removal.

I'll see if can update one of my posts to tell the story. Lots of lessons learned to share on that one.

PostPosted: November 9, 2023, 4:05 am 

jaf wrote:

I´m going 2002 1,8 Torsen (but started with a 1.6, which can be seen in the pics above, not much clearance to the front), and Bofi Racing poly bushings for the top .. I´ll probably go solid mount in the front, the worst that can happen is a cracked third member, which sounds unlikely .. If you haven´t had any problems with the weak 1,6 diff I guess a welded 1,8 should remain intact ... :)

Would love to see an update of your build thread!
One thing that has bothered my some over the years is the chart of miata uprights measurements and a-arm attachement points you posted in a excel screen shot a while back .. I tried to convert to metric (because living in Europe) and plot them in sketchup, but I couldnt get them to really match up .. I think there is something off with the rear part of the chart ..

PostPosted: November 28, 2023, 7:18 am 

Fizz wrote:
jaf wrote:

I´m going 2002 1,8 Torsen (but started with a 1.6, which can be seen in the pics above, not much clearance to the front), and Bofi Racing poly bushings for the top .. I´ll probably go solid mount in the front, the worst that can happen is a cracked third member, which sounds unlikely .. If you haven´t had any problems with the weak 1,6 diff I guess a welded 1,8 should remain intact ... :)

Would love to see an update of your build thread!
One thing that has bothered my some over the years is the chart of miata uprights measurements and a-arm attachement points you posted in a excel screen shot a while back .. I tried to convert to metric (because living in Europe) and plot them in sketchup, but I couldnt get them to really match up .. I think there is something off with the rear part of the chart ..

Hi. I have a similar problem. How did you convert? and how many numbers after dot did you use? did you try online converters like https://oneconvert.com/?