LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 5, 2024, 10:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Crazy diesel idea...
PostPosted: June 30, 2006, 9:11 pm 

I know, I know, I know, old topic...

And the car I'm going to talk about here wasn't offered with a diesel in North America (or at all, I think...) Therefore, it won't be the donor for such a project. But, it would be the inspiration.

My idea comes from the Alfa Romeo Milano's drive system.

The car has a front engine, and RWD.

Here's the thing.

It has a rear transmission.

The driveshaft runs directly off the crank, to the transmission.

Here's my idea.

Put a VW TDI in the nose. That's by far the easiest source for a modern sub-2.0L turbodiesel engine in North America. That's not something too unconventional.

Now, for the unconventional part. Rather than adapt a Suzuki or Toyota tranny to the VW engine, I would use a VW tranny. No, there wasn't a VW RWD tranny.

But, there were VW longitudal FWD trannies.

I would put the longitudal tranny in the BACK of the car, and run a driveshaft.

A couple of positive side effects of this: larger footwell, and better weight distribution (the latter is why Alfa Romeo did it in the Milano.)

Think it would work?

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 1, 2006, 12:20 pm 
Locostering Information Liaison

Quote:
Think it would work?

Inspiration, detirmination, and persperation....if you have those and a donor you can make it work. Just because it hasn't been done before doesn't mean that it cant be done, it just means that it hasn't been done before.

To err is human...
I am more human than most.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 1, 2006, 10:04 pm 

Check out the builder's log section. Pete Gossett is doing a similar build, but he is using the 1.8 from an old GTI mated up the the drivetrain of a Porsche 924. The 924 is front engine, rear wheel drive, with a transaxle mounted in the rear. The rear mounted transaxle is rumored to be the same as the ones that came in the Audi 5000s, but this is something I have yet to see proven. Since the older VW diesels, the mechanical injection ones, share the same bolt pattern as the VW gas engines, it would be a very feasible swap. As to the newer electronic injection TDI engines, you would need to fab up an adapter plate, but the new engines have loads of potential. For about $1k in mods to the injectors and fueling, you can triple the power and still have low end torque.

-Andy

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 2, 2006, 10:45 am 

Actually, I thought that the VW inline-fours all shared the same bolt pattern, and it was just electronics that were a royal pain... I know I've read where an ALH (early Mk4) TDI was mated to an 020 (75-96, IIRC) trans...

Anyway, I'll go read that thread. If the trans is the same type as in the Audi 5000, even better - there were Audi 5000 diesels, so finding the correct gear ratios might be downright EASY. :D

FWIW, I would probably use a 1Z (96-97 Passat, 97 Jetta) or AHU (98-early 99 Jetta) engine, or a pre-2000 ALH engine (New Beetles being the best source, as Jettas and Golfs were only offered with it for half a model year). Those engines have no immobilizer here in the US, and therefore don't need the instrument cluster to work. :)

I wouldn't be doing this build soon (too busy fixing up the 85 :lol:), but I'm just gathering info for now. Putting things together on paper, and then eventually, I'll build. :)