LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 4:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: January 4, 2017, 12:36 pm 

There is a 94 miata on locally that the owner claims ran great before he started putting a turbo on it. Comes with DNA motoring (EBAY) turbo kit, intercooler, megasquirt that is not fully installed, three sets of wheels, racing seats, and harnesses. The diff is worthless as it was welded, looks like he was trying to make a drift car. He is asking $1500. I was planning on eventually going turbo on my car, but was planning on an stock SRT20 turbo. I have heard many horror stories on ebay turbo kits. The engine has more miles than I was I would like at 190k, but if it has good compression it would be better than what I have.

Chris
Build: NA Miata based +221 Se7en

PostPosted: January 4, 2017, 12:44 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

I'd look at it as a very used Miata along with a bunch of other stuff that may or may not be crap. If that's a good price for Miata suspension and a drivetrain, fine, otherwise I'd pass.

PostPosted: January 4, 2017, 4:05 pm 

I already have a 96 donor I used for most of the build but a blown head gasket has me looking for a new engine. I made an offer but he says he already has people coming to look at it at his asking price, which is too high for me for an unknown engine with 190k. Oh well, I will keep looking for an engine.

Chris
Build: NA Miata based +221 Se7en

PostPosted: January 4, 2017, 8:46 pm 

I spent 2 months looking on craigslist for a miata, even setup a auto-google-alert so when new miata's were added to my search on craigslist I would be auto-notified. After only 2 months I found one that didn't work for only $250...gutted what I wanted and traded a local guy for all the parts I didn't want for a working engine...worked out great for me...total cost of donor...$250...

PostPosted: January 5, 2017, 7:45 pm 

Also, the ebay turbo kit may not fit in your frame. I'm currently working on the exhaust manifold for the turbo in by build. Many of the off the shelf solutions look like they'd clash with either my chassis or the steering shaft. Your mileage may vary, but if you're good on donor bits, I'd save the money and build something that works with your constraints.

PostPosted: January 5, 2017, 9:05 pm 

If you already have a donor car I would look into a domestic engine and get a common one from the scrap yard. The 3.8L Supercharged V6 or V8 LS motors are dirt cheap, really common and huge amounts of power. The GM 1.4 turbos can be had fairly cheap and the DM autoX guys are getting 250+whp out of them for about $1500.

Scrap Metal Build Log viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14558