LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 6:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lotus 11 plugs and molds
PostPosted: September 27, 2017, 11:50 pm 

For sale or trade, Lotus 11 body molds and plugs. These were made from a replica Lotus 11 body produced by Zero Racing to make modified bodies for the Kokopelli 11 Kitcar. I do not have any connection to the company that built the Kokopelli cars except that I did some fabrication and designed some simple brackets and patterns/tooling for them. I was given these parts to settle what they owed me when the endeavor collapsed. I do not have any other parts or tooling.

It has been widened 4" to accommodate MGB or Miata width suspension dimensions. There is a weird valance attached to the bottom of the tail section and the underside of the nose that is not to the Lotus design but can be removed to restore the correct contour to the body.

There is a nose/hood plug made from the original Zero Racing part. It's been widened and has a big cutout in the middle for a large engine and has the valance that is stuck on, the grill opening has also been enlarged. The valance is starting to separate on the ends and would likely pop right off leaving the original surface. This could be used as a plug to make a mold or used on a car with some remediation of the valance issue and by eliminating the BigAss hole in the hood. There are no headlight covers but there are several sources for them and it isn't hard to make them yourself. The pattern/jig for making them was one of the things I made for them but I didn't receive them with the parts I have.

There is a cowl section that has been widened but otherwise unmodified and can be used as-is. It's a single curved part and can also be easily made of aluminum. There is a plug and a mold to make Helmet Fairings. It isn't made to the same standard as the parts made by Zero Racing but it makes very usable parts. It's slightly narrower than the original Lotus fairing but is still quite a bit wider than a helmet.

There is a tailsection Plug made from the Zero Racing part, it has been widened but could easily be used on a car with some preparation. It has the valance/extension bonded on like the front but it appears that some of the original material has been removed so if the valance is removed you would have to replace what's missing. There is also a tailsection mold with a nice smooth gelcoat inner finish.

There are no doors but they were simple single curves and are better made of Aluminum anyway to prevent your arms rubbing on fiberglass. There is no windshield or brackets but the original pattern windshield was a simple single curve made from flat perspex and is not difficult to fabricate.

The Valance/extensions were added because the body sat too high on the chassis, on a Locost frame it would sit where it should and they would be unnecessary(plus they're about as ugly as they can be and always annoyed the hell out of me on the Kokopelli cars). The body that they originally modified was absolutely first class in material and workmanship and faithful to the original Lotus design in all ways. The 4" section added was done well and is strong if not perfectly finished underneath, all the other modifications were done to a standard that would reflect poorly on a High School Shop Class of Mouthbreathers and Potheads. It's not good. However, all the bad work can be remedied without a lot of effort and would be easier than repairing cracks or other damage caused by hitting something for instance.

I live in Harrisonburg Va and would possibly be able to deliver it if a delivery fee could be agreed on. I like road trips and am ITCHING to ditch work for a day or two. These parts owe me about $1,500 and I'd be happy to work out a trade for a good 1.6 or 1.8 Miata engine and transmission and some money. I would expect to pay $500 for a good 1.8 and 5speed and would be happy to work out a deal. I also need a nosecone and Lotus type Clamshell fenders for my Locost project.

Please feel free to ask any questions you want and I'd be happy to take additional pictures for potential buyers. I don't have ANY idea why the photos are upside down or what to do about it. I'm going to bed...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: September 28, 2017, 12:34 am 

So of course you are on the opposite end of the country. :BH:

I moved pics to my desk-top and rotated them for clarity.
The grey parts are the plugs?
I see a tail mold but not the bonnet mold?
If the plugs are so thin and not reinforced that they are viable as a body shell they will need serious work to be useful to fabricate fresh molds.
The tail mold also appears to not have been reinforced for use without flexing.
But your price is attractive, I wish you were not $3,000.00 away.

PostPosted: September 28, 2017, 7:53 am 

Hi, Thanks for the response!

Yes, the Grey parts are the plugs, and yes, they aren't ideal the way they are right now. They should be braced and mounted to some sort of structure to really work well but this is the way I got them. I was(am) tempted to do that and pull good molds off them but really can't start another project that will take up that much time and space. Like everyone else I've got a Dirigible and a Timemachine to finish before I do that(although you never have to get in a hurry building a Timemachine for obvious reasons). I've never done much 'glass work and don't know exactly what these parts need to become good molds or to revert back to being a good, useful body but I can see that they're useful and would save someone who wanted to build an 11, or a bunch of 11s, a ton of time, effort and money.

I know someone who hauls cars all over the eastern half of the US and might be able to organize inexpensive delivery if someone could wait for him to make a run in their area.

PostPosted: September 28, 2017, 8:19 am 

Oh yeah, just to be perfectly clear, I don't have a Bonnet mold, just the plug made from the original Zero Racing bonnet.

If someone wants this and is farther away than my friend goes hauling cars I might be willing to deliver it myself for a reasonable cost. I wouldn't mind a big camping/biking trip out west again. Delivery within a long days drive of Virginia is easy and something I could do next week... I get to Dallas in a long day from here.

PostPosted: September 28, 2017, 11:01 am 

my inet down op please call me 5415208188

PostPosted: September 28, 2017, 11:28 am 

Since Jack appears to have limited internet access right now, this thread should give you an idea of his interest in what you've got:

https://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=16780

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

PostPosted: September 28, 2017, 1:11 pm 

Spindizzy called me and he and I now know more about what's what re who got what. Also, I figured out how to connect my Mac to my phone, so I can do a bit of internetting again.
Spindizzy wrote:
I was given these parts to settle what they owed me when the endeavor collapsed.
Spindizzy settled up with the owner before I got involved. The Kokopelli endeavor didn't "collapse" exactly, but it wasn't making any money and the owner didn't think it was worth continuing, so he sold the production molds (which I bought and brought to Oregon).
Spindizzy wrote:
It has been widened 4" to accommodate MGB or Miata width suspension dimensions.
That was my understanding as well, but turns out that 4" isn't quite enough for a Miata. When I fit the tailsection to a standard NA Miata rear suspension I found it still needs an inch more width to clear the tires. That's fairly easily done to a part but it's none too easy to add an inch to a mold.
Spindizzy wrote:
I don't have ANY idea why the photos are upside down...
Me either, Spindizzy, but as long as they're upside down you might want to post pics of the insides of the plugs, so potential buyers can see how practical it would be to re-modify the plugs to use as parts. If they can be used as body parts, then $1500 is a steal--heck, I can't make a body that cheap and I own the molds!

DrivenS (Justin), thanks for stepping in and linking to the <Lotus 11/15 body molds (Kokopelli) now at Kinetic> topic.

PostPosted: September 28, 2017, 1:39 pm 

The pics are upside down?? And here I thought that "lightness" had just been taken to a whole new level!! :mrgreen:

http://zetec7.webs.com/

PostPosted: September 28, 2017, 1:47 pm 

zetec7 wrote:
The pics are upside down?? And here I thought that "lightness" had just been taken to a whole new level!! :mrgreen:
It's the grey paint. When purchasing, be sure to specify "light grey".

PS--VERY IMPORTANT--do NOT use "battleship grey" on Locost parts.

PostPosted: September 28, 2017, 3:35 pm 

Well, THAT makes sense to me!! The "battleship" gray parts would be waaay too heavy! :cheers:

Hmmm - I wonder about maybe "dirigible" gray...now, THAT would be light!!

I think I need more coffee.... :lol:

http://zetec7.webs.com/

PostPosted: September 28, 2017, 8:56 pm 

Hi Jack, Good idea about posting some photos of the insides. I'll slip over and do that in the next day or so. It was good to hear a bit more of the Kokopelli story, I always wondered how that all shook out.