LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 7:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: August 7, 2018, 6:59 pm 

I posted my car for sale locally, might as well put it up here too. I don't really ever get to drive it now, so not much point keeping it around. I copied and pasted my ad below, and of course there's tons more info and pictures in my build log as well as the completed builds section,links to those are in my signature below. I've got too many cars and projects at the moment, and besides, if I sell it it gives me an excuse to build a better one later.

I’m looking to sell my Locost 7. It’s a mostly homebuilt car, registered as a 2014 Ubilt. It passed a government inspection for a BC assigned vin, and insurance with ICBC is just like any other vehicle. The engine is a Ford 3.0 V6, gone through and checked, new bearing throughout, heads were milled and got a 3 angle valve job, ports are smoothed and cleaned up as well as enlarged to match the intake gasket. The transmission is a Mitsubishi KM112 5 speed, and there’s a custom built 9lb steel flywheel to make it work with the Ford engine. The rear axle, front spindles, and brakes are all early 80’s Toyota Corolla with fabricated suspension arms. The bodywork is aluminum and fiberglass, and the steel tube frame came from Champion Motorcars in the USA. The car weighs a little under 1300 lbs, and weight distribution is 47.3% front, 52.7% rear. The engine is estimated at roughly 200 HP, which puts the power to weight ratio pretty close to a Dodge Hellcat (6.5lbs/HP vs. 6.33 lbs/hp). It handles and drives like an oversized go-kart, and is a ton of fun on a nice windy road. I autocross it for a few years in Ft. St. John and Dawson Creek, with lots of ftd's against some decently fast cars, including Corvettes, Vipers, Porches, and the odd Lamborghini. It’s currently got a set of 13x7”stock car wheels with Toyo R888 tires for the street, and I’ve got a set of 13x10” wheels with Hoosier slicks for racing. I used slicks for 3 or 4 autocross events, and they’ve been stored in my shop for the last few years. I’ve also got a spare transmission and lots of engine parts that go with the car if desired, as well as a custom built tilt deck trailer specifically for the car. It’s definitely a one of a kind, and a bit of an attention getter. I’d like $16500 for it. Thanks for looking.

Kristian

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: August 8, 2018, 3:20 pm 

Hey Kristian,
post your ad on the Vancouver, Victoria and Nanaimo craigslists. I had 6 replies in one day. One of them has now posted a wanted ad.
Good luck.
https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/cto ... 32594.html

My build log:
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14520&start=0
My build video:
https://vimeo.com/143524140 password "matovid"

PostPosted: August 8, 2018, 7:08 pm 

@turbo_bird
@mgkluft

Wow, I can't believe either of you are selling your cars. Good luck to you both, however.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: August 9, 2018, 11:59 am 

You're selling yours too Martin? Thanks for the Craigslist suggestion, I hadn't thought of that. I checked that wanted ad, I don't think he'll be interested in mine, says he doesn't want more than 4 cylinders. I put it up on a few Facebook car groups I'm on for now. Don't worry Lonnie, I'll eventually build another one. My wife is even supportive of the idea and thinks it will be a good project with the kids. First I need to enlarge my garage though. Besides, the next one will be way better than the first one.
Kristian

PostPosted: August 9, 2018, 12:15 pm 

Kristian and Lonnie,
I took it off the market again. See my post about liability. I'm not too sure what to do about it, but I wasn't that keen on selling it anyway.
I'll be curious what your experience will be, Kristian.

My build log:
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14520&start=0
My build video:
https://vimeo.com/143524140 password "matovid"

PostPosted: August 9, 2018, 6:53 pm 

I'm not really too sure I want to sell it either. I never really thought about liability, but that could definitely be an issue. Motorcycle manufacturers don't typically get sued when rookie riders kill themselves though, so I wouldn't think it's a huge deal. In the case of a mechanical failure though might be different. I've had lots of people showing interest on Facebook, but no offers.
Kristian

PostPosted: September 5, 2018, 5:53 am 

Is there a Canadian street rod organization or large club in your province? Stateside, the NSRA has information about that sort of thing. Some guys are into building street rods and sell them when they're finished; some do it as a business, more or less.

PostPosted: September 5, 2018, 9:45 pm 

Waaay back when .... I bought a bare chassis from COLD and the contract of sale included a statement to the effect that I was buying a weldment with no useful purpose. Or words to that effect. :-) I could dig out the actual words but there seems little point. I suppose the implication was that if I turned it into a car it was my fault. Whether it would stand up in court was another matter, when COLD was advertising partial car kits on their web site.

PostPosted: September 5, 2018, 11:34 pm 

turbo_bird wrote:
I’ve also got a spare transmission...
Kristian, I see you have various early '80s Corolla stuff. This is a long shot, but it that spare transmission perhaps a Toyota T50?

PostPosted: September 8, 2018, 1:20 am 

JackMcCornack wrote:
turbo_bird wrote:
I’ve also got a spare transmission...
Kristian, I see you have various early '80s Corolla stuff. This is a long shot, but it that spare transmission perhaps a Toyota T50?

Sorry, no. It's a Mitsubishi transmission from a Hyundai Stellar. I don't think they were imported to the USA, just up here in Canada.
Kristian

PostPosted: September 8, 2018, 1:27 am 

Warren Nethercote wrote:
Waaay back when .... I bought a bare chassis from COLD and the contract of sale included a statement to the effect that I was buying a weldment with no useful purpose. Or words to that effect. :-) I could dig out the actual words but there seems little point. I suppose the implication was that if I turned it into a car it was my fault. Whether it would stand up in court was another matter, when COLD was advertising partial car kits on their web site.

I don't think the liability thing is going to be and issue, I doubt I'll sell it. I've had lots of people on a few different Facebook groups saying they're interested but that's as far as it's gone. Saying you're interested on Facebook is different than actually looking at it and making an offer. Oh well, I don't really want to sell it that bad.
Kristian