LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 11, 2024, 6:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: March 30, 2019, 10:28 am 

Looking to buy my first locost. I would like something street legal, that can be used on weekends and occasional track days. Looking for a nice build that is safe and reliable (I'm happy to tinker, but want to spend more time behind the wheel than under the hood). I'm 6'2", and about 220 lbs.

I'm open to both BEC and CEC, if BEC then reverse would be a plus, but I know I can also add at a later date if I really want it. I'm in NH, but willing to go around 500 miles for the right car, and would also consider shipping if further than that and price/car is right.

I'd love to be around $8k

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

PostPosted: March 30, 2019, 1:12 pm 
Toyotaphobe

And where are you located?

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: March 30, 2019, 4:48 pm 

Sorry, thought I put that in the post, Southern NH, not too far from Boston.

Thanks

PostPosted: April 3, 2019, 5:45 pm 

Battle1066 wrote:
Looking to buy my first locost. I would like something street legal, that can be used on weekends and occasional track days. Looking for a nice build that is safe and reliable (I'm happy to tinker, but want to spend more time behind the wheel than under the hood). I'm 6'2", and about 220 lbs.

I'm open to both BEC and CEC, if BEC then reverse would be a plus, but I know I can also add at a later date if I really want it. I'm in NH, but willing to go around 500 miles for the right car, and would also consider shipping if further than that and price/car is right.

I'd love to be around $8k

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

I've been looking for the same for a looong time. From what I've seen, what you describe is a $12-15K car.

AP

PostPosted: April 4, 2019, 3:22 pm 

I was also looking for the same thing. I settled on a complete chassis with no engine. Figured this allows me some freedom to pick my motor setup without the work of building the entire chassis from scratch.

PostPosted: April 5, 2019, 4:46 pm 

This was in another thread, not mine, Needs some work but a good deal and closer than most will be: https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/d ... 72214.html

PostPosted: April 6, 2019, 10:27 am 

@Jan2594 - Thank you - I actually put that link up, not my car either, but like you said, seems like a good deal; unfortunately it's too much work for me. I work ridiculous hours, have two kids and a third on the way, plus a million other projects, so I really don't have time to complete. I guess I would be open to something that was about 95% complete. The other thing with this one is the Vin/title, again I don't really want that kind of headache.

@APinSoFl As far as pricing, I hear you and you might be right, but just searching through this forum, it seems like some good cars at $10k or under (I agree they don't come up often, but also seems like there also aren't a tonne of buyers either)

Like this, just the wrong side of the border for me and now obviously sold, but he was asking $10k
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=19703
There's one in CA now for $9k, again, a little too far for me right now. viewtopic.php?f=40&t=18204

Also as I said 'I'd love to be around $8k"... I might still be 'happy' at $10k or more, it really depends on the car.

I am a true cash buyer, don't need to check with my wife etc.
Also happy to sign any waiver the builder has and generally make for an easy transaction.
I also don't need to car to be 'perfect' and am not worried about cosmetics/paint etc.
I've sold plenty of things for less than they were 'worth' for multiple reasons over the years (some I have regretted, others I have not :-))
I'm also in no real rush right now, I have another 'toy' and a bike, but my wife wants that gone and a locost seems like the perfect compromise

i'm not trying to sound like a jerk, and I certainly wish you the best of luck in your search and hope we both find something.

Best
Alex