LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 11:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: December 26, 2013, 3:11 pm 

When driving a 7 , the difficulty in easily operating the pedals wearing shoes is exaggerated the larger your foot is, and I wear size 12 shoes. My nephew races Porsches and a Spec Miata, and suggested trying Puma driving shoes. So last year I bought a pair of black leather Puma RepliCats with a white stripe on the internet. There are many colors, some in suede and some in leather. They are, in my opinion, the perfect driving shoes for my car!! They are very comfortable, lightweight and THIN!!
Attachment:
Puma RepliCats.JPG
I also found out that my KEEN sandals also work quite well - in a month, they've become one of my favorite footwear! I bought the ultra-lightweight Keen Clearwater CNX Sandals (retail $100, bought mine new for $50! Search the internet for best pricing.)
Attachment:
Keen Clearwater CNX sandals.JPG
The Puma driving shoes are not readily available...apparently they're not sold in the stores any longer (but I'm really positive.) I decided I really wanted to have a "back up" pair for the days my current RepliCats die, so I did a comprehensive search on the internet and could only find ONE pair in size 12...so I bought them. They were listed on eBay as Puma RepliCat, Limited Edition F1 Suede Racing Shoes...brand new for only $40 + shipping. (The guy said they retailed for $175!?!?) So these new Pumas are going into the closet until my first pair wears out.
Attachment:
My new F1 Puma driving shoes.JPG
Many builders using "book" frames have very limited space in the footwell to operate the pedals easily, and I LOVE my solutions, so I thought I'd share my research and experiences so others may benefit down the road.

If you have any thoughts on the matter, please chime in and let us know..."WHAT SHOES DO YOU LIKE OR RECOMMEND???"

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: December 26, 2013, 9:24 pm 

I have a pair of the Simpson Racing Shoe http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/280655451528?lpid=82 they are very light weight and great for driving. Mine are a size to small as US sizes are one smaller than UK and I always forget. Other than that they are great however I only recommend them for racing as they are very light weight and will not last long if they are worn like regular shoes. Typically when I Autocross I will always put on regular trainers (sneakers) to shag cones and save the race shoes for the driving sessions.

I think the Puma's you mention are one of the best regular shoes for driving. I have also tried the Vibrams (5 Finger shoes) as you can feel what each toe is feeling but I felt the rubber got caught on the pedals a little so although the feel was great they were not ideal.

Scrap Metal Build Log viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14558

PostPosted: December 26, 2013, 11:44 pm 

thegarman wrote:
When driving a 7 , the difficulty in easily operating the pedals wearing shoes is exaggerated the larger your foot is, and I wear size 12 shoes. My nephew races Porsches and a Spec Miata, and suggested trying Puma driving shoes. So last year I bought a pair of black leather Puma RepliCats with a white stripe on the internet. There are many colors, some in suede and some in leather. They are, in my opinion, the perfect driving shoes for my car!! They are very comfortable, lightweight and THIN!!
Attachment:
Puma RepliCats.JPG
I also found out that my KEEN sandals also work quite well - in a month, they've become one of my favorite footwear! I bought the ultra-lightweight Keen Clearwater CNX Sandals (retail $100, bought mine new for $50! Search the internet for best pricing.)
Attachment:
Keen Clearwater CNX sandals.JPG
The Puma driving shoes are not readily available...apparently they're not sold in the stores any longer (but I'm really positive.) I decided I really wanted to have a "back up" pair for the days my current RepliCats die, so I did a comprehensive search on the internet and could only find ONE pair in size 12...so I bought them. They were listed on eBay as Puma RepliCat, Limited Edition F1 Suede Racing Shoes...brand new for only $40 + shipping. (The guy said they retailed for $175!?!?) So these new Pumas are going into the closet until my first pair wears out.
Attachment:
My new F1 Puma driving shoes.JPG
Many builders using "book" frames have very limited space in the footwell to operate the pedals easily, and I LOVE my solutions, so I thought I'd share my research and experiences so others may benefit down the road.

If you have any thoughts on the matter, please chime in and let us know..."WHAT SHOES DO YOU LIKE OR RECOMMEND???"

My shoe collection mainly consists of puma driving shoes. I've got a pair the shoe you mention and I can say that you should also check out the speed cats, as the toe is a little bit shorter. While puma may not list them on there site always, you can usually find them on amazon, zappos, or puma outlet stores.

PostPosted: December 27, 2013, 8:43 am 

Why not just build that car a couple inches wider? seems a simple solution.
I auto-x my miata in work boots sometimes.

PostPosted: December 27, 2013, 10:45 am 

And I suppose you ask your wife "why bother having so many earrings" too?!?? :rofl:

PostPosted: December 27, 2013, 1:27 pm 

One of the multitude of reasons why I'm making a bigger one, but I actually came here to answer with;

"In his quest for lightweight Colin Chapman probably ordered his drivers not to wear shoes"!

PostPosted: December 27, 2013, 2:44 pm 

jaxmadine wrote:
Why not just build that car a couple inches wider? seems a simple solution.
I auto-x my miata in work boots sometimes.

damm! my shoes dont fit my car! lets make the car wider! that will save me some shoes! :lol:

PostPosted: December 28, 2013, 7:28 pm 

not really that hard to make a car wider if you start it from scratch...