LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 16, 2024, 12:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: December 3, 2015, 5:05 pm 

Thanks, Jack and TRX. I have to say, all of this feedback is making me even more excited about doing this. I'm raising the odds to 50%.

PostPosted: December 4, 2015, 5:00 pm 

For whatever it's worth, Nick, I don't think it's such a crazy idea, especially if you can take your time along the way. There's a thread on this site about a father and daughter who went across country in his self-built Locost. They camped a lot as I recall and I seem to remember it was a very positive experience for them. I say if it's in your heart and soul, you should do it.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: December 9, 2015, 1:08 pm 

Cool topic. Thanks for sharing the idea. I hope you are able to make the trip.

I've driven my Locost to several Midwest Gatherings from home in central Illinois. Each trip has been something of an adventure. The first year was to Minnesota in the 'original' configuration. Lots of wind and sun and definitely tiring.

Over the years, I've modified the car to increase the comfort (sort of). The 'bikini' top helps a lot in keeping the sun off of you. It also does a lot to keep the wind buffeting to a reasonable level. Half-doors also help by keeping the road gravel (mostly) out of the car. I still get wet when it rains, so I still put Rainex* on the inside of the windshield (and also on the rear view mirror), but not quite as badly as before.

Ear plugs are definitely a help, as others have suggested.

I also suggest taking the 'roads less traveled' as opposed to the interstates. There's more to see and often less traffic.

Good luck on your plans. We'll all look forward to updates as your plans (hopefully) come together.

Bill

PostPosted: December 9, 2015, 3:39 pm 

Did you find wind buffeting from the side to be a problem, and did the half-doors do anything to help?

PostPosted: December 9, 2015, 4:56 pm 

A while back I saw a silly, simple, solution for open roadsters and wind buffeting. A man had basically engineered small airfoils for the side of the body that he claimed drastically reduced the buffeting effect without intruding on the open cockpit experience. Let me see if I can find an article..

I've also found that, particularly if you are using a windscreen, one of the anti buffet screens that attaches to the roll bar behind you does wonders in most open cockpit cars.

Driven5 wrote:
Forced Induction + Magic Spinning Doritos = EMod

PostPosted: December 10, 2015, 8:45 am 

TRX wrote:
Did you find wind buffeting from the side to be a problem, and did the half-doors do anything to help?

Actually everything helps a little. Before I did the top I actually built anew scuttle to move the windscreen back about 6 inches. That and the top really did reduce the buffetting quite a bit. The doors helped more with keeping road debris and splash from the front tires out of the cockpit.

If I remove the top, but leave the doors in place, there is quite an increase in buffetting, about like any other open sports car.

Bill

PostPosted: January 2, 2016, 1:14 am 

Nick,

When I first saw your post on this subject I thought right away about a trip Vern Vowles and his wife took 5 years ago.
Bob MacCleod first pointed this out and it's stuck. I lost a lot of data a couple of years ago and just now got the info back. Thought you might like to take a look.

http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtop ... ip#p110297

PostPosted: January 2, 2016, 1:04 pm 

You have to pass through the Driftless although traveling N-S is better. Stop by and we can talk about suspensions with trunions. :lol:

PostPosted: May 2, 2016, 10:37 am 

I did the motorcycle "Iron butt challenge" a few years ago. Went from Oklahoma west on I40 to Albuquerque NM then south to essentially the Mexico boarder. 1050 miles in 16 hours.
while trying to cover all my bases like you are doing now, the one thing I did not account for was the winds. Going east to west across the flat planes of the country the winds are horrid. They are always north to south or vice versa, Never seem to be a head or tail wind. I literally rode 600 miles at an angle. Whats this translate into locost driving? Cars being so light are you going to have to fight the steering wheel to go straight? So that is one good reason to stay off the highways.

The Iron butt challenge was on my bucket list. So I did it, rode down there, stayed a week then did it again coming home. Ear plugs are great, but music is better. I found that if I am left alone to my thoughts, I start going over everything that can go wrong. pop some music is and jam and sing in my brain bucket. The ride became more enjoyable. So make sure you can charge your devices while on the road.

Ohh and guess what...... YOU WILL GET RAINED ON!!!!!!!

DO YOUR DRIVE!!!!!!!!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: May 3, 2016, 1:10 pm 

Just finished a 1500 (or so) mile cross country (mid-Oregon to Monterey CA) with my sweetie in MAX, and had my first real (that is, non-induced by driver foolishness, such as spinning backward into a mountain, getting lost in the woods, etc) problem with it. The transmission gave up the ghost (not completely; it did limp back to Cave Junction, squealing and howling) and it's thost (rhymes with ghost). Does anybody have a Toyota T50 transmission (five speed, circa 1980, came in Corollas and the like) they'd like to sell?

PostPosted: May 3, 2016, 1:51 pm 

JackMcCornack wrote:
Just finished a 1500 (or so) mile cross country (mid-Oregon to Monterey CA) with my sweetie in MAX, and had my first real (that is, non-induced by driver foolishness, such as spinning backward into a mountain, getting lost in the woods, etc) problem with it. The transmission gave up the ghost (not completely; it did limp back to Cave Junction, squealing and howling) and it's thost (rhymes with ghost). Does anybody have a Toyota T50 transmission (five speed, circa 1980, came in Corollas and the like) they'd like to sell?

Doesnt help you I know, but I recently gave one away in exchange for beer.

PostPosted: May 4, 2016, 7:58 am 

Jack
Look at some Japanese engine importers for a T-50 trans. You can get a trans with only about 50k miles for $350 + shipping. Which is a lot less then a rebuild kit, [$500 -650 because of non-standard bearings] and several of the internal parts are no longer available from Toyota.
Dave W

PostPosted: May 4, 2016, 12:39 pm 

I got mine from a U-Pull_It in Omaha a few years ago for $35. But they are getting a lot harder to find these days.

Good luck!

PostPosted: May 4, 2016, 5:17 pm 

There is one in Columbia MO, 2 hours from me, on Car-parts.com for $275 and one in Ridgecrest CA for $225.

Chris
Build: NA Miata based +221 Se7en

PostPosted: January 18, 2018, 2:00 am 

TRX,
Great feedback on cross country in Locost !

Funny I have given up my touring motorcycle (now I am 53), thinking a Locost is the next best thing.

- Mark