LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 8:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 40,000 :D Locost
PostPosted: August 15, 2016, 8:32 am 

I just reached the 40k milestone, so I thought that maybe I should pass on a few things learned in the process.
My biggest mistake is the gas tank. It was built with only one baffle. A tank built with a single baffle will allow the fuel pump to starve for fuel, if the tank is less than half full, within the short duration of a typical Auto-x corner. To solve the fueling problem, I had to fabricated a dropped gated sump in the bottom of the tank. The single baffle also affects my fuel gauge level. I see ¼ tank reading swings during corners and bumps. If you can package your fuel sender float in a small area, by all means design your tank with two or three baffles. I also wish I made my tank a little wider so it would hold another gallon, 8½ Vs 7½ for the two or three longer trips I take each year. Another design issue; I knew the steering rack needed a very fine adjustments, Up-Down for bump steer. So I designed slotted attaching brackets, and used shims for fore-aft adjust. It is very difficult to bolt down a slotted bracket without moving it more the .010” U/D. Design your steering rack attachment, so shims can be used for both fore-aft and Up/Down adjustment on the steering rack attachment.
Things done right; Added a tee or fitting to the highest point in the cooling system for filling. Think accessibility and adjustability during the build. It will help after the initial build, when it comes to final development. Install an adjustable clutch stop to limit pedal travel, if you have fixed seats. Also you need easy access to your pedal push rods. This makes a world of difference if you can easily adjust the pedal angle and location. I over killed the pedal adjustability. I have up/down, fore-aft, angle, and cross car, but the design and fab time needed was well worth the effort. Finally adding a Bikini top makes these cars much more livable, relative to wind, noise, the sun and foul weather. Last and probably the most important is very 10,000 miles I follow a check list, and pull a good 15 to 20 hours of maintenance. Cleaning, lubing, tuning and tightening critical fasteners. Dave W

Post subject: Re: 40,000 :D Locost
PostPosted: August 15, 2016, 10:49 am 

Congrats on the milestone! What have you found were the biggest maintenance items on your car? Are you using bushings or heim joints in your suspension? Also, any corrosion issues on any components?

PostPosted: August 15, 2016, 3:57 pm 

Congrats, Dave. If those are the only issues you've found in 40K miles, you did way better than me.

PostPosted: August 15, 2016, 5:14 pm 

Yes, congrats, Dave. And, thanks for taking the time to write up your experiences here, and for all the other helpful tips you've given me in the course of my own build.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: August 16, 2016, 8:33 am 

I have the usual maintance items, likes seals, water pump, new [used] trany, etc, that you encount when you start with old equipment. I have both bushings and heim joints. It takes me a good 4 or 5 hours to dis-assemble and lube the heim joints. I have seal-its on the heim joints, and just now have one joint that has loosen up a little. During my 10,000 miles checks I typically find one or two suspension bolts that I’m able to give a ¼ turn. This last check, one front lower control arm bolt needed a ¼ turn and I also found a set-screw had loosened on one of my steering U-joints. I also found the LH outer wheel bearing showing so wear {do not know the total mileage}. No real corrosion issues. I typical take a brush and touch up any chassis chips every year, and I just repainted the front fender brackets. The body paint has a zillion chips. A re-spray is on my, To Do List, before cold weather. I’ve changes both the brake and clutch lever ratios several times to improve travel/pressure to my liking. My most frustrating problem was my front brakes. My RH front brake would always lock up first under heavy braking. I had purchased Re-manufactured brake calipers; I thought that was the problem. I completely dis-assembly them and found nothing. After a year I purchased a new pair of calipers with a smaller bore. That still did not solve the problem, even after bleeding the system to many times. I then changed master cylinder and Tee fittings plus pre-load the RH side [up to 2 ½ turns]. Nothing HELPED! Final I swapped sides with my nice pretty SS braided brake lines, and then LH side locked up! A deflective crimping process on the AN fitting on one end of the hose restricted the flow enough to up-set the braking!!! I’ve put on a larger muffler, but it’s still pretty loud above 4000 RPM. I only have one current issue now; I use about a ¼ cup of coolant every 1000 miles and have not found the leak area. These cars are never finished. I continue to make engine modifications and wt reductions. This month I put on some new SS fittings, added aluminum nose cone attaching bolts and re-glued part of the floor carpeting.
Dave W

PostPosted: August 16, 2016, 10:08 pm 

Thanks Dave thats really an extensive breakdown. Congrats on the milestone and all the feedback.

My build : http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtop ... 35&t=17160

MGB/GT V8 5.0L. viewtopic.php?f=36&t=20782