LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 17, 2024, 8:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: May 21, 2017, 9:18 pm 

I see one or two folk here who actually use their Locost type car to commute.
Most of them seem to sit for weeks or months at a time. :cry:
My feeling is that anything that takes years and $$$$$$$$$ to complete should then be used to the maximum possible.
Won't be practical to drive my Dio-Alfa in the snow, but dry winter days will be a yes!
Anyone else driving their toy year-round as a daily driver? (Or planning to?)
No cup holders or radio planned for my build but I have reserved space for a few groceries or other light purchases.

PostPosted: May 21, 2017, 10:09 pm 

Many states that follow the SEMA proposed legislation prohibit use of Custom Vehicles as a daily driver. And the specialty car Insurance companies prohibit daily use too. Some states allow you to build and use as a DD but you must follow a more restrictive set of equipment.

My state was an early adopter of the SEMA laws and it allowed me to build the car the way I wanted to. The only equipment required was as what was required on a 1960 car (before NHTSA or EPA). My regular insurance co wouldn't touch it. I went with Hagerty. The result was I could not use it as a DD on both points.

If you can get daily use legally and still be insured, more power to you. :cheers:

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: May 21, 2017, 10:18 pm 

I could use mine legally for a daily driver, but I have a family to cart around, including 2 little kids. We also get winter here, so fair weather toys are only useful for about half the year anyways. Even worse, I have to drive a pickup for work, so the locost is out for that too. If I get a local job in town or something, I'll be using my locost to commute in the summer.
Kristian

PostPosted: May 22, 2017, 12:15 am 

In BC we're pretty limited as to choices when it comes to insurance. Government insurance is mandatory for all the basic stuff, with additional coverage available either from the government or from private insurers. We don't have an option to build a car to 1960's standards, per se, although depending on the individual inspector, you might be able to get some allowances for keeping to an era-correct theme.

We can get a bit of a break for insuring our cars for "pleasure use only" (i.e., can only be driven to/from work a maximum of 6 days in a month), which is what I will probably do when I finally get the car finished & on the road (at this rate, probably around the year 2076).

I'm out on the far west coast of BC (literally, as far west as you can go without getting your feet wet) and, although we don't get much snow, we get 6-7 months of non-stop rain, with temperatures in the 30's to 40's F. Sub-optimal for driving a tail-happy, open-topped car, to say the least. Even my Miata stays parked all winter - it's set up for killer autocross handling in the dry, and is prone to uncontrolled oversteer on wet, slippery roads. Driving sideways is fun on the track, but not so much on a busy freeway onramp!!

http://zetec7.webs.com/

PostPosted: May 22, 2017, 2:03 am 

"Will I be the only one daily driving my new toy?"
That question will be answered by the auto insurance company you get your Super 7 car insurance through.
If they let you use it as a daily driver - :cheers:

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: May 22, 2017, 3:52 am 

I've been told that in Nevada it is very difficult to register a kit car, and that it is easy.
I'm going to go talk to a local guy who has a replica Lister-Chevy in the morning for his take on it. :idea:

No way I will accept the car being an occasional drive, might just have to disable the odometer. :wink:
I will also talk with my insurance guy.
I think if I get an "Operator policy" insurance should not be too bad as it becomes just one more car in the fleet.

PostPosted: May 22, 2017, 11:37 am 

Between seasonal weather and family requirements, mine will not be able to serves as a 'daily' driver. It will be for "occasional transportation" as the state, and probably insurance, will dictate. That's ok though, because I would feel guilty treating something I had put so much time and effort into the way I treat my daily drivers. Toys don't make great appliances anyways. It's about having the right tool for the job. Kind of like I love using my grill out on the deck, and it's awesome for select types of cooking. But while I could technically cook every meal on it, I have no intention of it replacing the range in my kitchen.

Of course, it also depends on how "occasional" is defined...And gets reported. :wink:

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

PostPosted: May 22, 2017, 1:05 pm 

Driven5 wrote:
Toys don't make great appliances anyways.

AMEN

My daily driver, while a lot of fun, is basically equivalent to a toaster in my mind. It has a job to do and I try to enjoy the time with it doing it's everyday job.
My DD's for the past 20+ years have been Isuzu Trooper, Miata, Z3, 318ti, and now a Crossfire.

Toys are meant to put a big ole stupid smile on my face. I don't get to play with them all the time, but what a hoot when I do.

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216

PostPosted: May 22, 2017, 1:16 pm 

When my car is finished, I plan to drive it a lot. We have multiple vehicles, and each has it's role, so I won't be driving it every day.

I know my regular insurance company will insure it, but I don't know if they apply restrictions such as not using it for a daily driver. I'll have to check on that at the appropriate time.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: May 22, 2017, 1:45 pm 

TooBusy wrote:
Driven5 wrote:
Toys don't make great appliances anyways.

AMEN

My daily driver, while a lot of fun, is basically equivalent to a toaster in my mind. It has a job to do and I try to enjoy the time with it doing it's everyday job.
My DD's for the past 20+ years have been Isuzu Trooper, Miata, Z3, 318ti, and now a Crossfire.

Toys are meant to put a big ole stupid smile on my face. I don't get to play with them all the time, but what a hoot when I do.

This is my thought as well. I used to drive fun cars as daily drivers. I could justify the obscene amount of money I spent on them in repairs (high HP+mean driver=broken) because "It's my daily driver." After being poor from repairs and fuel costs and realizing that I kept my beater truck insured year-round so I could drive it when my "daily driver" broke, I finally realized I was a moron.

I now drive a very slow, reliable, cheap car* which allows me to spend money on things that are actually fun. End of the day, driving in traffic sucks even when in a fun car. It also allows you to make your toys way more exciting when you don't have to worry about driving them everyday (and you can thrash on them harder :mrgreen: ).

*I do winter autoX with my daily driver Yaris so it's still fun with improved brakes, handling and R-comps. I do struggle to keep from adding power though.

PostPosted: May 22, 2017, 3:47 pm 

I drive mine every chance I get. It's my first choice to take when I go anywhere. It's sitting outside my office right now.
Attachment:
IMG_0448.JPG

I've put 35,000 miles on it since registering in in 2014. I avoided the specialty insurance companies like the plague, so no driving restrictions. I just enjoy the heck out of it, and I doubt that'll ever change.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: May 22, 2017, 9:28 pm 

I'm leaving the engine Euro-Spec stock so it should be very reliable.
Rest of the drive-train is from the same car so will be lightly stressed with the much lighter build.
I expect excellent reliability even if I do drive it as intended.
Should have more info on insurance in a few days.
Tried to look up Nevada registration requirements but they are SEMA based and lack detail for Replica cars.
I found that if I have a windshield it has to be glass, with wipers.
But the NV-DMV site does not make it clear that a windshield is required.
So what about a wind deflector?
Or nothing at all?

The problem with the SEMA model legislation is that it is really only meant to serve the big aftermarket companies, SEMA does not care about individuals.
It seems SEMA threw us under the bus with the 2500 mile limitation. :(

PostPosted: May 22, 2017, 10:50 pm 

RichardSIA wrote:
The problem with the SEMA model legislation is that it is really only meant to serve the big aftermarket companies, SEMA does not care about individuals.
It seems SEMA threw us under the bus with the 2500 mile limitation. :(

Well, I'd disagree. If it weren't for my state following (roughly) the SEMA model bill, I never would have begun my build, let alone gotten it registered. And as for Aftermarket companies, sure they make up the SEMA organization. In no way did they require me to buy any of their wares. They lobby individual states to allow us to build our cars, and in some states they were successful. In others, not so successful. Here are the two parts of the SEMA model legislation that served me (not the Aftermarket companies:

Quote:
(f) Unless the presence of the equipment was specifically required by a statute of this State as a condition of sale in the year listed as the year of manufacture on the certificate of title, the presence of any specific
equipment is not required for the operation of a vehicle registered under this section.

(g) A vehicle registered under this section is exempt from any statute that requires periodic vehicle inspections and from any statute that requires the use and inspection of emission controls.

There is no 2500 mile limit in the SEMA model Bill. You can read it here: http://www.semasan.com/semaga/Bills/SEMAModelBill_StreetRod.pdf If there is a mileage limitation in your state, it was how your legislators wrote the build. Your gripe should be directed at them, not SEMA.

I have said it before and I'll say it again. Every builder should find out what their state requires and allows before they start to build their dream. If there is no path that checks all your boxes, then a)work to change it, b)move to a different state or c)try another dream.

I really hope that you find that your state will allow you to do what you dream. :cheers:

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: May 22, 2017, 11:44 pm 

I may have to lie, cheat, and steal to get it done.
You know, like a politician. :shock:

Seems I may be better off to register it in AZ first, then get my Nevada title as a used car.
Hoping for a response to a PM I sent to an AZ member.

PostPosted: May 23, 2017, 12:38 am 

RichardSIA wrote:
I found that if I have a windshield it has to be glass, with wipers.
But the NV-DMV site does not make it clear that a windshield is required.

Reading state motor vehicle laws can be amusing. Arkansas has relatively few such laws, but some of them... as an example, you don't have to have a windshield. But you do have to have windshield wipers. But the legislature did away with the motor vehicle inspection program years ago, so unless some policeman happened to know that obscure fact, you could just ignore it.

There are a few blogs about people using Lotus 7s as daily drivers. One is by a Scottish(?) couple who drove one all year, all over Europe. Mostly, they looked cold and wet...

I went a long time with a motorcycle as my only vehicle, sun, rain, or cold. Now I value the roll-up windows and heater in the truck.